Shopping for new inserts

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2012, 07:36 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I think that my inserts have met the end of their life. I've been using microfiber inserts and they have gone through three kids and are about 5 years old. It was a good run, but they have started absorbing less, they have thinned out quite a bit, and they smell.

My newborn will be growing into the diapers soon and I plan on probably diapering more children with these diapers.

I'm trying to decide if I just want to get the same thing or something different. I'm leaning towards getting just plain prefolds to stuff with.

For other mama's who use pocket diapers, what are your favorite inserts and why?

***just a side note: my last two boys were heavy wetters, especially at night, and baby 4.0 seems no different. I have several hemp inserts, but I'm not seeing what the big deal is. They don't seem to take in as much as the microfiber did. Doesn't seem to go along with the love everyone else has for them. Anyhow- looking for good items to use for heavy wetting.

September 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
bamboo fleece works really well! Though plain old prefolds are pretty darn awesome. I like the shortened type. I've had more success with prefolds than with microfiber.

September 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Que-There are 3 dozen Clotheez Preemie prefolds for sale for $30 in the FST subforum on this board. Bluelight is selling them VGUC. I bought some other stuff from her so I know she will send them. They could definately work for stuffers. Sorry, no experience here as to what works best but it's there if you go that route. You could also just make your own stuffers w/ materials you have or stuff from the fabric store but again, not sure what works best.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

September 5th, 2012, 06:23 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my bamboo and hemp. It takes a lot of prepping, but once finally there they're amazing. Slower to absorb than microfiber, but holds so much more (at least for us). Hemp by itself is sucky since it's so slow, but I really love it as a 2nd or 3rd insert behind microfiber or bamboo. Two bamboo and 1 hemp has been a good night solution for us.

September 5th, 2012, 07:21 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I LOVE my indian cotton prefolds. I've used them for 3 kids and only a couple are starting to fall apart (I bleached them, hehe). I trifold them and stuff my pockets and they hold tons. I've shortened some of them so they fit better but will be buying some more soon and might just buy the already shortened ones.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 6th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfbaked View Post
I LOVE my indian cotton prefolds. I've used them for 3 kids and only a couple are starting to fall apart (I bleached them, hehe). I trifold them and stuff my pockets and they hold tons. I've shortened some of them so they fit better but will be buying some more soon and might just buy the already shortened ones.
Where do you find the prefolds already shortened? I never thought of that. That would save on doubling up as much during the day.

Oh, and just another thought. I recently bought a few stay dry inserts/liners to try on my newborn, and they are pretty awesome at absorbing super fast. Since hemp and bamboo are slow absorbency, I wonder if it would help if I used the stay dry liners in combo to suck up that initial pee.

September 6th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I trifold a newborn prefold with a microfiber insert in the middle for overnight. I still have to change him once through the night. I suck at waking up to change him, I usually end up with pee on me because it leaked.

Scarlett Diane

September 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
these are preshortened Nicki's Diapers - Imagine Prefolds

and these Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth Diapers

September 7th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks Alice! I have some points to redeem at Nickie's diapers! I'll shop there! Lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search