A little help please??

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I could use some help.
my baby is no longer EBF, she has been eating solids for a couple of months now, and well, everything stinks!

First, ive been using our pail with just the liner inside a trash can with no lid on because when i put the liner around the top of the can, i cant fit the lid on. It took me a while to find a can that was the right size for my planetwise liner and im not sure where to go now to find one that the lid fits with the liner on. Any suggestions?

Second, our planetwise travel wetbag (size medium) does not hold in odors at all. The fabric gets damp and it just smells horrible. Can anyone recommend a brand that they like that is only PUL? Should I stick with the zipper, or go for drawstring?

Third, we have mold issues with our wipes. I have been trying everything and its not working. I used a wipe warmer in the winter and then I noticed it was growing mold even after 2 days. Then i started drying the wipes and spraying them with a bottle of water, but the bottle of water was growing mold after a few days too. I was just using water or water with a few drops of baby wash. The baby wash i have has tea tree oil in it too so i thought that might help. Should I get pure tea tree oil? I really would prefer the wipe warmer method so that i can stop drying the wipes, plus its going to get cool soon and DD prefers a warm wipe in the winter. Is there a wipe solution that prevents mold? Do I really need to change the water and clean the container every 2 days to prevent it?

I really appreciate any tips you can give me.
DD born 1/3/12

September 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I like the RaR wetbag. I keep it in the bathroom next to the toilet exclusively for poo diapers that get sprayed.

We had the same trouble with wipes. We now use aposie wipes :/

September 12th, 2012, 06:56 AM
greenchild's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well if you're making your own wipe solution, you can try adding potassium sorbate. It's food grade, natural, etc. Used in wine making to prevent mold. Also commonly used in skin care products,I use it in my lotions I add 1/2 Tbsp for about 6 oz.
September 12th, 2012, 07:57 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No advice about the mold. A couple of local CD mamas said they've had issues in the past here (we just got here to NC in the spring), but so far I've been good. One said she just added wet cloth wipes to her warmer first thing in the morning. Any more/any longer in there she had issues.

I'm really weird. I don't use wet bags most days when out of the house. I find I get little to no stink if I change in the car and just leave the diaper on the floorboard as is. I only use wet bags if I have to change and I'm away from the car for the day which is rare. I feel odd, but I can't stand those changing tables in most places; I'd rather go out to the car and use my seat.

Hefty Touch Lid 13.3 Gallon Trash Can - Walmart.com
That's our "pail." I've used Kissa and Planet Wise liners in it without issue. The lid will snap on still after the liner is on. It's not air tight, so we don't seem to have stink unless I go a week....ha ha. When we started CDing we only had Ross and Walmart for shopping, so uhhhh I picked that one purely because it was red and cheap. lol

September 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For the mold in the wipes, it is probably because your tap water has tiny amounts already in it so it just grows when it has a chance. You can try using distilled or deionized water instead or adding a bit of vinegar or witch hazel (which contains isopropyl alcohol) to kill it. The tea tree oil in your baby wash is probably too dilute to do much. Or get some potassium sorbate, that sounds really cool!

I like my Fuzzibunz and Mommys Touch wetbags better than my Planetwise. It definitely wicks some.

Can't help on the pail, we use a hanging wet bag. But my pail odor problems were solved by thoroughly rinsing poopies and then spraying Bac Out before the final wring out. And adding bleach to my routine so I don't get ammonia ever.

Hope you get it all worked out!!!

September 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I was going to say the same thing about the mold being something in your water causing that. I use a warmer and usually wipe it dry every 2-3 days before filling it up again. I've never had a hint of mold though and I could have water in a spray bottle for a week with nothing, so I would switch to using distilled water if you want to keep using the warmer. And I totally agree about the Planetwise wetbags. I have 3 of the large ones that I use in rotation and I have to make sure to never let the diapers get to the top because the moisture from them wicks right out the top and into the fabric on the outside.

September 12th, 2012, 09:47 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We don't use a wetbag at home, just a net clothes bag in a hamper. When out, if it's really wet, I use a ziplock bag. Otherwise, I fold it in on itself and let dry.

I don't prewet my wipes either. I run one under warm water before changing. I don't have mold issues, but I do have kid issues. They like to play in anything wet.
magz88 likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I also run the cloth under warm water before each change.
September 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM
We've been using the fuzzibunz hanging diaper bag and hang it outside. Don't know what we'll do when winter comes, but for the summer we used it more than our pail inside.

Also, we use the My Cloth Diaper wet bag, it has a zipper and carrying it around in our diaper bag we haven't had a problem yet. It's great because we come home and turn it inside out to rinse it out and let it dry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search