Wool Dryer Balls?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Anyone use them? If so, is there a specific brand that is better? And about how many do you use in a load?

September 14th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do. Don't even remember where I got em. I have 3 and they live in the dryer.

September 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had 5 and am now down to 2 bc DS likes to throw them behind the couch where we can't get to them
I bought them from a WAHM. They're fairly simple to make but I haven't been able to find the 100% wool yarn you're suppose to use for them at our local stores. I'm actually going to Michael's tonight to search there.

September 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I use some WAHM dryer balls. Well, I have them, I don't really use them. Because every time I open the dryer my son yells "BALLS!" and runs off with two of them. So none of them have actually been in the dryer for months!

September 16th, 2012, 12:53 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use them. I bought 6 off of one of those deal a day sites earlier this year. I notice a HUGE difference when all 6 are being used. Not so much if just 2 are being used....which is what ends up happening if the toddler gets involved. lol
I don't think any are better than others necessarily.

September 21st, 2012, 02:19 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
I bought two 3 pack off of amazon because I don't have time to make them. They were $20 per set. The reviews said to use at least four to notice a difference. Since I had to buy six, I just put them all in. They definitely cut down on drying time. Never has my dryer finished before the next washing load. I need to check my electric bill to see if I notice a difference there. The dryer is the most energy hungry appliance in my house.
September 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What's the advantage of wool dryer balls over the plastic ones?

September 21st, 2012, 04:52 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Robyn - I was looking at those too. Most of them seem to be blue and I read reviews that said it really marks up the inside of your dryer and sometimes they melt and discolor your dipes. Those were only a few reviews I read though so not sure how accurate that is. In general, it seemed the wool ones were recommended more. I bought a 6 pack of "Woolzies" for $32 on Amazon. I'm going to try those out tomorrow. I'm surprised how big they are! I was expecting these little things.

September 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had the plastic ones for years but they are old and worn now so I need new ones. I never had any problems with them scuffing or melting.

September 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran
I made my own out of part of a wool sweater from Salvation Army. I think it definitely cuts down on drying time.

Here are the instructions I followed, only I didn't measure the size of the pieces and just winged it: How to Make Wool Dryer Balls From an Old Sweater | eHow.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search