cloth diaper lover with a question

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies, I'm wondering if you have a bit to answer some questions for me.

My name is Mari and we are expecting number 10 in May . We have cloth diapered the last 7 littles, so we've done it quite a bit. But, I have always made my own diapers, than just bought covers to go over them. But we need to get new covers, and I was noticing the price of them and than started looking at the BumGenius and FuzziBunz diapers as well. Our diapers are getting a littleolder, so I could either make new ones or just buy the diapers in tack. But I'm pretty overwhelmed looking at all the options and reviews. The thoughts of all those snaps on the one size make a little overwhelmed, because we need it to be a quick change around here. I prefer to like the sized ones with velco, because it seems I could adjust the tightness better than with snaps. But velcro didn't get very good reviews for wear

We only have 2 in diapers now, but 4 overnight in diapers. When this one comes, we'll have 3 in diapers during the day and probaby 5 overnight ((possibly 4 if he trains!). We use disposibles overnight, because my diapers tend to leave a rash if they wear them to long.

Our babies are normally short and chunky. Does anyone have any suggestions? I think the one size fuzzibunzs are cute and look like we'd like them, but they are all snaps. The BunGenius look like they would be bulky fitting until the baby grew into them, around a year or so. Our babies are already chunky, than their clothes don't fit well.

Thanks ladies! I'll have to hang out here for a bit and learn!

September 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow!!!! You sound like a real CD veteran. I hesitate to offer any advice given how much experience you have!!

But, I will anyway

So I actually hate snaps. I use only velcro (aplix, hook & loop, whatever). My fingers just fumble with snaps and I get a better fit with velcro. As long as the laundry tabs are always used, I don't notice a ton of excess wear. I also prefer sized diapers. The rise snaps that set the size on most diapers can press into chubby thighs when unsnapped (I hate that!) And they look bulgy and weird when snapped down IMO. So, I don't see any reason to convince you to try any one size snapping diapers. Also, you should know that a lot of people hate Fuzzibunz OS. I have not seen a lot of positive experiences with them on this board or on diaperswappers either.

If I were you I would keep using my homemade diapers until they fall apart Are they like contours or fitteds? What are they made of? Just curious!

As far as affordable, sized velcro covers, Bummis has just redesigned their Original covers to use PUL which is more durable than the nylon they used to use. Another one to try is Litewraps. Also, Proraps. Bummis also makes other sized velcro covers: Super Lite, Super Brite, and Super Whisper Wrap, which are all very popular. Thirsties sized covers are also good.

Hope that helps! Honestly unless you are looking for a new spendy hobby, I would stay away from all the new all-in-ones and pockets and stuff and just stick with what you know works for you. It is easy to get out of control these days with all the options out there!!! Good luck!

September 27th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you can sew diapers, buy a bunch of fleece and just make covers. I prefer it over PUL ones. They wash up nicely and works great for overnight. When trained, you can just have them use them as pants (if you make the pant style). My DS is 6 and still loves to wear them (though 100% trained a long time ago). I had to modify the pattern to get them into his size. You can make one in <1 hour and they last for many kids.

I don't like the OS. I've tried them in the past and DH never got use to them. He is 100% pockets and I like fitteds/fleece covers.

We're expecting our 7th. Our last 4 have been CDed. I'm making a complete new stash for this one only because I loaned all my girl stash to a cousin and she sold it cause she thought I was done with it. And no, I didn't get the money she made on them.

September 27th, 2012, 03:26 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I've cd'ed my last 5 and always made mine as well. I have actually made one size diapers and even owned a couple bum genius OS diapers, but I still prefer the sized diapers over the one size. They just fit better. My kids tend to be on the small size too so the OS diapers always had to be snapped up. I do like OS fitteds though.

Anyway, I have both velcro and snaps. The velcro are easy to make fit right and my kids and dh use them. I've never had a problem with them unless I forget to fasten the wash tabs. Even then, it's just a matter of unhooking them to whatever they happen to have stuck to.

I can't recommend a certain brand. I can't even recommend a sewing pattern. Each of my kids have fit different in different diapers and ones I loved with one child I didn't love with another. I love to sew though so I'm constantly sewing new diapers.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
September 27th, 2012, 04:03 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I just started and have been trying out a bunch of different covers. I started off with velcro and the last two I bought have been snaps.

I am really liking the snaps because I can tailor the size waist vs leg better than with the velcro.

I definitely think gussets on the cover are a must.

WRT brands I have tried 5 and a WAHM.

My boy weighs 9 lb and the Rumparooz Newborn is working out really well for us. I also like the Sweat Pea O/S - it's a bit bulkier on him since he is still small but it will last and I am able to get it small enough.

Motherease is good for velcro and is very trim.

I will probably by more Rumparooz or Sweet Pea ones.
September 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks so much ladies!

I do see how this can be an expensive hobby. I don't want it to cost more than to just use disposibles .

Maybe I will just look into getting new covers. And you are all so right, every baby is different and fits different into the diapers! If only they could all wear the same ones, it would be easier, haha.

Thanks again, and I'll pop in when I get a chance!

shen 7, sorry I forgot to answer your questions.

I'm not really sure what fit the diapers are. I used pins on the originally and than just tucked the tabs under each other and put a cover on and they worked great. They made out of flannel. I have some terry cloth ones for summer, because I feel bad putting the flannel ones on just for heat retention. The diapers usually make it about 2-3 hours, sometimes more if I forget

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search