Your washing machine

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Dee
I've wanted to cloth diaper kids longer than I've wanted kids. And with all the new options, I think it's a pretty easy thing to manage. Furthermore, by buying used diapers and maintaining a relatively modest stash used over multiple children, it's a great way to save a little money.

DH thinks it's gross. No amount of convincing him that we were both cloth diapered safely and hygienically will convince him otherwise. I gave in on buying new diapers, since if we have more kids we can save a little money that way.

But last night he said the only way he could stomach cloth diapering would be to buy a second washing machine for them.

How do I convince him that this will not make the rest of our clothes gross, that washing cloth diapers in your washing machine is safe and clean, and that it's just not gross? Help.
September 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here are some basic points:
1) poop WILL get in your washer one way or another. Babies diapered in disposables are more prone to explosive poop leaks. You will be washing poopy clothes (and sheets, and bouncy chair covers, and who knows what else) instead of diapers.
2) newborn and EBF poop is water soluble. It really does all wash out. After baby starts solids, you spray, dump, and/or rinse off the solid poop into the toilet and flush it, it does not go in the washer.
3) where does the pee and poop go? With cloth, it goes into the sewer system via toilet or washer drain, where it belongs - back into the water cycle and soil system where it is metabolized and transformed and used again as organic matter. With disposables, it sits around your house or yard until the garbage gets taken away, and then it piles up in a landfill for future generations to sift through. Which one is really yuckier??
4) if he is worried about the diapers getting washed properly, he can learn about how laundry works. Oxyclean, borax, and bleach are all effective sanitizing agents that, combined with enzyme-containing detergents and plenty of hot water, will get even the dirtiest cloth very clean. Usually newborn EBF babies have easy to clean diapers though, and just an extra prerinse and final rinse is all that is required to get them clean. Older babies and toddlers may take more additives to get clean. The diapers should pass the smell test (smell like nothing) out of the wash and out of the dryer. Check out the How to Wash/CD Laundry sticky for more info.

I hope he can listen to reason. Do you have any friends who CD? I know I have changed several acquaintances minds just by showing them the diapers and saying yeah, I am not afraid to use some bleach when necessary, the sun takes out stains, they do get really clean, see for yourself. It is no different from washing poopy sheets or onesies or whatever.

Hope that helps and good luck convincing DH

September 30th, 2012, 11:29 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No matter what you're going to have kid vomit and bodily fluids of all kinds going through your washer that has nothing to do with what kinds of diapers you're using. There were several times DS peed and pooped on stuff before I could get a fresh diaper on him or while he was having diaper free time. He had zero reflux and such issues, but still would spit up on my clothes, his clothes, blankets, etc. Sometimes cloth leaks and whatever he was on would need washing. When we used disposables we had lots of poop explosions which meant poop cleaning on tons of stuff. Heck, even I had lots of of breast milk incidences that required stuff to be thrown in the washer! After all of that my husband didn't even blink at the washing part of cloth diapers when I decided to switch when DS was 4 months. He thought I was nuts at the time, but it wasn't due to the washing machine and poop!

September 30th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Dee
We don't have any CD'ing friends... they mostly think I'm being ridiculous and will switch to disposables when I get over myself. (Sigh.)

All of the arguments you posted here are very helpful. Thank you! (I don't know why, but it didn't even occur to me to point out that everything will eventually have bodily fluids on it at one point or another.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search