How many and how much $ to start your stash of prefolds?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 05:04 PM
Regular
I am researching whether to CD or disposable. I like the idea of CD but I have only done disposables in the past. I would be starting when the baby is newborn. I'm looking into prefolds with covers.

So my question is how many covers in each size (say thirsties or bummis) and how many prefolds in each size? That is if I plan to wash every other day.

And how much should I expect to spend? Being thrifty is a big deal for this LO being that it is our 3rd and everyone says CD is more economical. So is it??
October 2nd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
First off,

To answer your question, you need to decide how much learning you want to do, because there is a VERY cheap way to use cloth on a newborn - flats. Flats require folding into a diaper shape to get on the baby but they always have a perfect fit, fit a very large size range (basically to potty learning) and are cheaper than prefolds.

Alternatively, you can skip a size in prefolds, like start with sized Small ones or Infant in traditional sizing, which will be bulky but will function very well.

Covers you also have a big range. Dappi nylon pull ons are like $5 each, you can get a stash of 4 for $20 and do okay. Or get Thirsties Duos which fit a larger size range and will take you to the smaller end of Medium, I think they are $12 or so. If you always fasten your flats or prefolds with pins or a snappi, it will hold in the poops better and you will not need as many covers.

You need to price out for yourself what you would be doing with the cloth route and compare that to the disposables. There is no doubt that flats and Thirsties Duos are a very economical way to go and would save you tons of money. If you went with sized Green Mountain Diaper prefolds and Bummis covers and bought it all new, it would not necessarily save you a lot. But, they do have resale value. You could also look into buying used. Sometimes mamas unload full newborn stashes for really cheap.

Good luck and hope that helps

October 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Figure on 12-14 diaper changes a day when figuring out how many prefolds to get. I got away with 2 dozen and 2 covers with my first. I usually started washing when I got to 2 prefolds since it take a bit longer to dry them.

I got 3 dozen infant sizes and 2 dozen premium sizes along with 4 covers for this one. (Made the covers since they are easy enough). I do have others that I can use but I know 100% that I will get 2 full days out of them and if I don't remember to throw them into the dryer, I can survive.

I agree, look for used especially if this is your first exposure to CD. I love it however both my sister and cousin have hated it. Thankfully they borrowed my stash so they didn't invest in it to see if it was for them.

October 7th, 2012, 11:23 AM
berryblue031's Avatar Mathias' Super Mommy!
Keeo it simple and buy a bummis kit all you need in addition is a pack of snappis. Mine is only baby #2 and going strong

Mathias: Born Nov 10 2009 weighing in at: 9lbs 2oz & 22inches (4150g 54cm)

Anna Elizabeth: Born Aug 24 2012 weighing in at: 8lbs 6oz & 20.5inches (3795g 52cm)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search