Stripping new-to-me diapers

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By mspkids
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So my stash is finally coming together. Ive got mostly AIO pockets, some prefolds and covers. Most are used and a handful are new. So, here is my question. Where do I start? Do I treat the new diapers any different than the used ones? How do you strip your diapers?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
New prefolds or anything cotton, hemp, or bamboo must be prepped. If it has no snaps, PUL, or elastic (like prefolds and inserts) then you can boil them 10-20 minutes in a big stock pot with a squirt of dish soap, then wash and dry. Anything else needs to be washed and dried 3-5 times, preferably on hot. You can do them with regular laundry if you don't have enough for a full load. This is to remove the natural oils and bring them to full absorbency. Some stuff might need 10-20 washes to really get fully absorbent but this will get them functional.

Used items, I would just run some kind of strip and sanitize them, like maybe a hot wash with bleach followed by a hot wash with nothing to rinse out residues. If any of them look yucky you may want to get more hardcore and do oxyclean soaks or sun and lemon juice for stains. At a minimum they need a good hot wash and extra rinse.

Hth!
greenchild likes this.

October 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
what did you buy new? Bamboo and hemp needs at least 2-3 washes. It's not recommended to wash hemp with anything due to the oils for initial wash. However check where you are getting them from. They should tell you how to prep them. Never put brand new hemp or bamboo in with older diapers. It can "gunk" them causing repelling issues later.

Used: you can get something like RLR or funk rock (green rockin detergent) to strip any extra detergent in them. I usually put 1-2 drops of tea tree oil into the initial wash just to kill anything that might be in them and then wash them like normal diaper routines (extra rinse and as hot as possible). Line dry in direct sunlight. (If you don't have a clothes line, put a clean blanket onto the driveay and place them on it. Please don't use bleach unless you really need to. It will break down elastic and PUL.
Shades of Grey likes this.

October 4th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I use bleach often and have not killed any PUL or elastic... just stink Bleach is the best way to kill bacteria, yeast, and viruses. I use 1/4-1/2 cup of regular original Clorox in my HE FLer in the bleach dispenser. If you are concerned about chlorine residues, you can follow with a wash with oxyclean or oxygen bleach or hydrogen peroxide (they are all the same thing) and it will get all the chlorine out. Bleach is a very useful tool when you really need to sanitize effectively!

October 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
The only new diapers I have so far are fuzzibuns and a handful of inserts. I dont have anything that is hemp or bamboo. Im planning to buy either sunbaby or alva diapers new as well-neither with hemp or bamboo.

I also make my laundry detergent using Fels-Naptha laundry soap, baking soda, and borax. Would this be ok to use for diapers?

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
October 4th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
ive read that homemade detergent is rough on diapers, i think its the borax that is tough on PUL but im not sure. I make my own detergent as well and do not use it on my diapers. But i have heard of people using it without issues

October 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Cloth Diaper Learning Center :: Homemade Detergent for Cloth Diapers? - Little For Now | Cloth Diapers | Cloth Diaper Covers | Prefold Cloth Diapers

i found this about CDs and home made deteregent, but i also read a thread on babycenter (i think) that lots of ladies mentioned using it without issues. So you may just need to try and see what works best for you

October 5th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I use bleach often and have not killed any PUL or elastic.
It will break it down. It's is not recommended. Here are 2 quotes for separate sites.

Chlorine Bleach is generally not recommended in the diapering community. Chlorine Bleach has been known to ruin diaper covers. Wool diaper covers will actually dissolve in Chlorine bleach. The elastic in diaper covers, fitted diapers and pocket diapers can also be harmed by multiple exposures to chlorine bleach.

Chlorine Bleach - Yes it is great for killing germs, but it is bad for cloth diapers, covers and your family. It will actually eat away at the fibers in your diapers, leaving holes and frayed edges. It also decreases their durability and absorbency

Quote:
Fels-Naptha laundry soap, baking soda, and borax
Caution should be used before adding borax to any diaper laundry. Borax is abrasive and may void any warranty with some manufacturers. Borax is often an ingredient in laundry detergents. For powdered laundry detergents containing borax you will want to completely dissolve the detergent before adding it into your washing machine.

Her site is awesome information about detergents and what to and not use. I've used it for over 6 years now and never had stinky diapers.

October 5th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspkids
It will break it down. It's is not recommended. Here are 2 quotes for separate sites.

Chlorine Bleach is generally not recommended in the diapering community. Chlorine Bleach has been known to ruin diaper covers. Wool diaper covers will actually dissolve in Chlorine bleach. The elastic in diaper covers, fitted diapers and pocket diapers can also be harmed by multiple exposures to chlorine bleach.

Chlorine Bleach - Yes it is great for killing germs, but it is bad for cloth diapers, covers and your family. It will actually eat away at the fibers in your diapers, leaving holes and frayed edges. It also decreases their durability and absorbency

Caution should be used before adding borax to any diaper laundry. Borax is abrasive and may void any warranty with some manufacturers. Borax is often an ingredient in laundry detergents. For powdered laundry detergents containing borax you will want to completely dissolve the detergent before adding it into your washing machine.

Her site is awesome information about detergents and what to and not use. I've used it for over 6 years now and never had stinky diapers.
This is all rather outdated advice IMO. Household bleach is not at all dangerous when used properly (i.e. diluted properly). Bleach may cause wear, but so do bacteria. I don't think bleach is necessary for everyone, but if you want to sanitize used diapers, or if you have a serious ammonia or stink problem that nothing else is fixing... bleach is good for that.

I don't believe in one size fits all washing routines. If your gentle eco methods work for you, great. I was just advising bases on what *I* would do. I would be far more concerned about my baby picking up staph or yeast from a used diaper than I would about the effects of a single wash with a little bleach on the diaper fabric.

I used to be anti bleach too until my DD started solids and I just could not get the stink out of her diapers no matter what I tried. Bleach was a last resort and I thought it would disintegrate them. Instead they came out perfectly clean and soft and wonderful, so I became a convert I researched it more (I have an M.S. in an environmental science field) and learned that household bleach has a bad image but is really not bad for the environment and human health.

Sorry if this feels attack-y, I am just trying to set the record straight on bleach for the mamas who might need to use it one day. Many moms quit cloth due to stink they can't fix and it just doesn't have to be that way.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

October 5th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Thank you all for sharing your opinions, I appreciate it! Forums like this are great because you can get info and advice from across the spectrum. What Im taking from it regarding bleach-probably not good to use often, but effective if/when smell becomes a problem. I wont give up with before giving it a shot

October 26th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Happy Mommy
you can use blue dawn to strip out any gunk of the used ones

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search