How much did you spend on your cloth diaper stash?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By stargatemommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just curious as to how much everyone has spent. Did/do you cloth diaper primarily to save money or for other reasons?

I have spent about $200 on my current stash which includes tons of pockets, prefolds, coves and 3 wet bags. One of the reasons we started cloth diapering was to save money, and it has indeed saved us a ton! With 2 in diapers, I would be spending at least $60 on disposables a month (Target brand). I also now cloth diaper for environmental reasons and because DD2 has sensitive skin.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

October 12th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say in the first 7 months or so, I did not save money, I was doing sized diapers and had a huge, fast growing baby and she kept outgrowing stuff. I probably broke even with using cheap sposies. If I did use sposies though, I would use Nature Babycare which are super pricey, so I saved money in that sense.

Since then she has stayed in the same size and I have not bought much at all. Plus our city charges a lot for trash pickup and we use the smallest size can, so that far outweighs whatever extra laundry costs we have. Not to mention I have a full stash in great condition of ny outgrown stuff, nb - smallish larges/largish mediums (which many babies PL out of), waiting for (purely hypothetical) baby #2

October 12th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
TBH I don't think we saved much money on DS the first year because I was buying, selling and trading a lot to figure out what we liked best. However now I have a better grasp on what to stick to.

If I counted only what he has in his stash now and the NB stash and the trainers I invested in...I'd guess around $350-400? That may seem like a lot to some, but if you consider CDing two (or more) children on only $350 and being able to recoop some of that once they're out of diapers it's not too shabby!

October 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've spent about $300 and have more than enough to diaper 2 kids. Honestly, I could probably do 3!

Typos courtesy of my "smart" phone.

October 13th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
im not sure i saved money (or much money) CDing my oldest, it was a lot of buying and selling and buying and selling to find what we like best, turns out its flats some fitteds and a few AIOs so if someone would have told me that when i started out i would have saved a ton! i think my stash is probably valued at 500$ or so

October 13th, 2012, 06:06 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started out with my first son is prefolds and covers and diapered him for half a year on about $250 or so, then I discovered pockets for my 2nd son and it all went downhill from there! lmao! I really dont want to sit down and figure it, but the majority of my stash is goodmamas and blueberry. I have destashed a ton since my 2 year old PL'd and I still have way too many diapers! I started out doing it for money saving reasons as wel as for the environment.

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
October 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I honestly have no idea at this point! lol. I started out with grovias, sold them to try something else, And on and on an on. So I rarely spend additional money, I sell what I have and then buy more. I want to say about $500 total?

For some reason, I feel the most of my stash has to be the same diapers, I don't like a diverse stash. Right now I have mostly sunbabies and I think I will stick with them.
My3Boys64 and Memi like this.

October 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Around $300 for NB and one-sized pockets so far. I'm sure I'd save some if I did some prefolds and covers but I didn't want to do that. We're CDing in part to save money but also because it'll be better for our baby's tushie.

October 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I'll be honest...I kept a spreadsheet of my cloth costs and expenses and I spent $2400 on my stash (including diapers, wetbags, wipes, diaper cream, detergent, etc, etc). It's large, sized (small, medium, large, not many OS) and durable (not Chinese cheapies).

BUT, that stash has been used on two, soon to be three, children and HAS saved us money. I have been CDing my oldest son for 2years 3months in cloth and my second son now for 13 months. Add that together and you get 3 years 4 months worth of cloth diapers. And on average, I would have spent $2200 on just diapers in that time (if I shopped at SAMs club for the diapers in bulk every time and only changed my child 7 times a day, even as a newborn). And we use cloth wipes, don't buy nearly the diaper cream we did in sposies and don't have to buy trash bags/trash service to dispose of the waste. I consider it a solid investment that I could get some money back from (although I am not really planning on it, after it goes through a third and potentially fourth child).

Our primary reasons for using cloth was not costs, although now that we put out the outlay (we had plenty of money to buy the stash), it's nice to not have weekly diaper expenses. Plus, my older child is not interested in training and I could potentially have three in diapers in the spring. We did it for chemical, cuteness, and environmental reasons before financial ones.

I am cool with having an expensive stash. Its perfect for us and in another year, we will be a few thousand dollars up
October 15th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Your post makes me feel better Ashlee. I have definitely spent a small fortune on these diapers. I started a newborn stash, but also bought a bunch for my toddler who still isn't potty trained. I did not go the cheap route - prefolds & covers, so I've put a pretty penny into these. I'm not even going to tally it up right now for my own sanity!

October 17th, 2012, 11:30 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I've spent about $400 which includes all diapers, diaper sprayer, wet bags, etc. I really like my stash right now and it will easily get us through potty training and probably the next baby too. Claire is now 8 months old so I think it's fair to say I'm saving quite a bit of money in the long term.

Claire Ellene 2/13/12 8 lbs 6 oz 21"

October 18th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1st CD baby: ~$500 (after buying and selling)
2nd CD baby: ~$300 (1/2 bought and 1/2 made)
3rd CD baby: ~$300 (all made by me though I included the embroidery thread for "pretty ones")
4th CD baby: we're at $200 already and I'm sure it will reach $500 by the time she's done. (all homemade)

this one, I'm making my own but I still think I'm up to over $200 since I bought expensive fabric and started from scratch for the most part. I had some premium prefolds from 1st CD baby. I did have to replace my infants since someone borrowed them and then sold them. I also need to make new covers for this one since they were included in the "loan".

October 18th, 2012, 01:00 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
I've spent close to 400$. But I have a smaller stash for now, she's 2 1/2 and is slowly working on the PL, when she feels like it. I'm hoping for baby # 3 and can't wait to start buying NB diapers ;-)
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

October 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have spent under $300 and that is for everything sprayer, diapers, inserts, wetbags ect.

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

October 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure but I don't think it was very much. I will sit down and total it out. I bought of lot of my stash on co-ops so they were cheaper and bought several of my bumgenius and my blueberries on amazon using my swagbucks gift cards.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search