New to CD

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By kbpeanut
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Cautiously Expecting #2!
Hi ladies! I'm thinking of trying cloth diaper on our 2nd when he arrives sometime in Jan. I ordered two of the AI2 (i think thats what they are called) from Alvababy to try using on DS1 (22months) as well as a AIO newborn diaper for our baby that is due in Jan.

I'm not wanting to buy a ton since I'm not sure we'll stick with it, but am thinking of trying mainly prefolds and covers on the newborn. Would those work fine or would you guys suggest just getting AIO? I have no idea really what I'm doing so any advice and such would be greatly appreciated! Also, can prefolds be used as inserts in the AI2 or do you have to use just the insert? I was thinking they were the exact same thing but apparently not lol
October 17th, 2012, 10:11 PM
kbpeanut's Avatar Scooter!
Hi Kelsey! Glad you popped in here, too! I've been lurking a ton in here, and gotten some really great info!
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my amazingly perfect siggy!

Our TTC Journey | View my pregnancy journals here or here
October 18th, 2012, 06:28 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi welcome!!! The alvas aren't really AI2 (or AI1) even though they say they are, they come with an insert but Alva doesn't make AI2 or AI1, I'm happy with my alvas but if you're wanting an AI1 or 2 then I love the blueberries and the bumgenius ones.

October 18th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello and I used prefolds and covers exclusively on my DD for the first few months, they work GREAT. We used a jellyroll fold and a snappi and never had leaks! Well, except when DH was in denial that she was outgrowing them and she had a plumber butt and we had a leak up the crack I used sized prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers but you can get similar ones from Nicki's Diapers (Imagine brand) or Diaper Rite. I used Thirsties Duo covers and Bummis covers mainly. Check out the stickied threads for info about CDing a newborn!

You can use prefolds to stuff pockets like Alvas, and many people prefer them to the microfiber! Cotton is more durable and easy cleaning than microfiber and is not as prone to compression leaks. Small sized prefolds work in most pockets for the longest time.

Hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask any questions that come up for you!

October 18th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by answeredprayer View Post
Hi welcome!!! The alvas aren't really AI2 (or AI1) even though they say they are, they come with an insert but Alva doesn't make AI2 or AI1, I'm happy with my alvas but if you're wanting an AI1 or 2 then I love the blueberries and the bumgenius ones.
Are they more like pockets and you just stuff the insert?

Question- I found a dozen chinese prefolds on Amazon for a good price. Do those work well? Also they have several different sizes. Which should I get? Also, Is it a waste of money to buy newborn prefolds, should I just do infant? Thanks!
October 18th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Here's the ones I am talking about. Amazon.com: OsoCozy Chinese Prefold Diapers, Infant 4x6x4: Baby

I also seen some Indian prefolds on there that have infant, newborn, regular, medium sizes? Any know which of the two different types of prefolds are better?
October 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Kelsey! Welcome! I'm trying cloth when my son is born, too! I'm doing pockets and newborn AIOs but I am sure you'll find a lot of great info here!

October 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes they are just a normal pocket diaper that you can stuff inserts into. Definitely NOT an AIO or AI2. I'm a few co-op groups and they are always laughing about that on their site

I've never cd'ed a newborn so I don't know. I have a few prefolds that are bigger and I also love FST's (flour sack towels) that I got at wal-mart.

October 18th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can skip newborn size and fold down the extra rise in front or back, it will still function just fine, but it will be very bulky. Esp on a teeny newborn it just looks silly to many people. If saving $$ is a big priority, I would skip to infant or small, or get some small flats or flour sack towels. I used sized newborn and small prefolds and hope/plan to use them again on a second baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search