Prefold question

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A lady has 2 Thirstie Duo wrap diaper covers size 2 for $15 so I was going to get them. I won't be able to use them on our Newborn (due in Jan) for quite a while but figured I could try them on our son now (22m).

My question is how great do prefolds work for toddlers? I was going to order a dozen prefolds for him (since I can use them in the Alva's I got too) but I'm not sure which size to get. One says up to 30lbs and another says 30-45lbs. He is a hair over 28lbs so I would hate to buy the one that goes up to 30lbs and him out grow them fast so could I just get the 30-45lb one and let them be a little big?
October 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Duo wraps are actually great for trifolding prefolds. You fold in thirds and I like to fan out the back a bit, stick in the cover and strap on. Aplix duos have a flap of PUL that can hold the front of the trifolded prefold in place as you pull up the front of the diaper.

When trifolding, you can generally use a full size down from the size you would need for pinning or snappiing. Because it doesn't have to wrap all the way around. My DD wears toddler/XL prefolds if I fasten them, but we trifold medium size prefolds in Duos with no problem - they are a tad short but she doesn't need all the length in the back anyway.

I never look at weight ranges for sizes. They are very misleading for unusual body shapes and have never been accurate for DD. I look at dimensions, esp the rise/length.

Which prefolds in particular are you looking at?
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

October 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
They're on Amazon.com. The OscCozy Indian prefolds I believe are what they are called. I also seen some Chinese prefolds

OsoCozy sorry lol
October 19th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy
They're on Amazon.com. The OscCozy Indian prefolds I believe are what they are called. I also seen some Chinese prefolds

OsoCozy sorry lol
Okay, Osocozy makes both traditional and smart sized and there are too many things popping up on Amazon for me, it is really confusing... can you post links to the options you're considering?

October 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Amazon.com: OsoCozy Chinese Prefold Diapers, Regular 2x5x2 (doz): Baby

Amazon.com: OsoCozy - Indian Cotton - Prefold Cloth Diapers Infant 4x6x4 (dozen): Baby

these two. Sorry it is kinda confusing lol
October 19th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay, that helps lol. Actually what would work best on your toddler are the Regular 4x6x4... the 2x5x2 are only 9 layers trifolded, whereas the 4x6x4 are 14 layers trifolded so will be that much more absorbent. Unless you have a really light wetter I would get those thicker ones. Mine are 4x8x4.

The infant size will be great for a small baby and for stuffing pockets on snapped down settings, but 13.5" is the rise on those when fully prepped and that is just too short for a toddler unless they are a really small booty babe. My mediums that are a tad short on my almost-28 lber are 15.5-15.75" and the regulars shrink to about 17" which is perfect.

All these prefolds are "traditional size" which means they just won't fasten well on most babies, they are much more long and narrow than sized prefolds. They should work well for trifolding and stuffing pockets though!

Hope that helps

October 19th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So this is the source for some of the pricier but well-loved prefolds, GMD, which is where I got mine. I think this page has a lot of really helpful pictures and explanations of how to use prefolds, which is why I am sharing it. Not trying to upsell you though I do love my GMDs.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm

October 19th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks that helps alot!

So for a newborn since I'll be using prefolds and covers, would it be better to get the fitted prefolds instead of the ones I posted above? Sorry for so many questions this is all overwhelming lol
October 19th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy
Thanks that helps alot!

So for a newborn since I'll be using prefolds and covers, would it be better to get the fitted prefolds instead of the ones I posted above? Sorry for so many questions this is all overwhelming lol
It depends!!! I used sized GMD newborn and then small prefolds. You barely ever need to fold down the front or back, they fasten really well, and are very functional to use with a snappi without being overly bulky. But, 2 sizes, and the newborn size is outgrown pretty fast (5 weeks for M). The smalls make decent pocket inserts in snapped down settings, though, I hear.

The infant traditional size fits for a longer time. But it has to be folded over a lot in the beginning which can look very bulky. Then since they are quite narrow too, they don't fasten well after awhile, though they can still be used trifolded or as pocket inserts for a long time.

Think of it this way. Newborn prefolds are like nb/0-3 month clothing. Cute and fun while they fit. You would get more mileage out of skipping to 3-6 month as soon as possible, but they won't fit great at first. You can roll up sleeves and stuff though on the bigger clothes, it works fine... so do you really need a full wardrobe of the newborn sized stuff? Not really. But is it nice to have? Yeah, it's nice.

It really comes down in the end to your budget. Infant/traditional is more economical. The sized ones are nice if you can afford it.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search