WWYD- Prefolds VS Pockets

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By alwayssmile
  • 1 Post By stargatemommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies! I know everyone is different and prefers different diapers but I am new to CD and am having a hard time making up my mind.

I have a 23m old right now and just bought 2 Alvas and have been using them on him the past 3 days. I only bought 2 just to try them out and I LOVE them! I wash them up at night and they dry within just a few hrs (I have to line dry) so then I can put them back on first thing in the morning.

I have 14 prefolds, I bought them used from a lady in town for $1 a piece. I didn't notice until after I got them but they are really thin and long. I think they are Gerber brand but not sure. I had planned to do prefolds and covers on our NB (due in Jan) until he got bigger and then doing the Alva pockets. My problem is the prefolds I have are, like I said not thick AT all so I'd have to double them up probably plus they are so long that I have to fold them down for my toddler. If we do prefolds for the NB I am wanting to buy OsoCozy- Indian Cotton in NB size. Amazon has them for $22 for a dozen.

I can't decide if since the ones from Amazon are thicker, if they will take too long to air dry? Anyone have experience with them? And then what I'm really having a hard time deciding is if I should just start straight out with Alva NB pocket for the baby since I like them alot and I know they dry fast. I don't want to buy the prefolds and then not like them and then have to turn around and spend the $80 on 20 Alva's, KWIM?

November 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love my Alvas and my prefolds. I like to just take the prefold and lay it inside a cover. I usually fold it in 3's. Econobum prefolds are great for that and very reasonably priced

Alvas are great for dads or when you feel like being lazy
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

November 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah you can do both! You can even stuff the Alvas with prefolds

I would use the thin ones you got locally just as burp cloths and wipie cloths. You will buy fewer paper towels. But they won't be good as diapers I don't think.

When you buy on amazon, make sure they are the good thick kind. 4x8x4 ply is best. Osocozy is an alright brand I think. You might also go to Nickis Diapers and get some Imagine ones, those are decently cheap and still very high quality.

November 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I hadn't thought about it until yesterday, but Idk if DH is up for folding a prefold lol.

I have 3 NB Alva's, 2 Thirstie AIO (I heard these take forever to air dry though, but they were only $5), 2 Thirstie Duo Wrap size 1, 1 bumkins OS cover, 15 prefolds and 3 OS Alva's. I really don't think I"ll like the prefolds I have but I think i'm going to stick with what I have to try out before I decide to buy more Alva's or different prefolds.

November 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you have to line dry, keep in mind that prefolds aren't often very soft. I do line dry mine, but then throw them in the dryer with dryer balls on no heat to beat them back soft.
That said, I'm very much looking forward to using newborn and infant sized prefolds on my soon to be newborn. I use bigger prefolds on DS, but only after I've ran out of other options because he doesn't like to stay still enough (I insisted on snappi-ing them because I hate trifolding). I love them, but kiddo just doesn't stay still long enough for me right now! lol. I do use mostly pockets on him - Kawaii is my favorite just because it has such a high rise.
My Ramblings | My Cooking

November 16th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I prefer pockets because they are trimmer.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search