Newborn Heavy Wetter

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alwayssmile

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've been using sposies as we transition into parenthood and I recover from my c-section, but just yesterday started to ease into the cloth diaper use (I have AIOs for his NB stash). I think I have a heavy wetter on my hands! He has just leaked through a diaper and was only wearing it for 2-3 hours. He had another diaper that was the same time frame and he almost leaked through it.

Clearly, his NB cloth isn't going to work for nighttime. I know that once he's fitting into his OS pockets I can just stuff extra in them, but the NB cloth is so small it doesn't seem like there is extra room for stuffing extra inserts. I don't want to buy more NB sized diapers so am I stuck using sposies at night until he's bigger or does anyone have any tips for making these NB AIOs work for nighttime use? He's 8.5lbs, would you try using some of the smaller OS pockets for nighttime?

Thanks in advance!

November 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much would expect to change any diaper every 2 hours. Many times the newborn diapers don't have a lot of absorbent fluff in them because then they'd be huge on their little bodies. I used disposables with DS as an infant and I remember changing him every 2-3 hours at first and then every 1.5-2 hours when he hit his first growth spurt and was nursing all the time. Even now as a toddler I change DS every 3 hours, 4 at most. I changed his diaper regularly at night till he completely stopped popping at night which wasn't till 3-4 months. Most people do find that cloth diapers need to be changed more frequently than disposables.
Jannell likes this.

Last edited by alwayssmile; November 18th, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
November 20th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks! That's what I figured, just thought I'd double check.

November 23rd, 2012, 02:56 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the previous poster. You may want to try some wool or fleece covers at night. These will act as an extra absorbant layer so if he does leak through a bit it wont soak his clothes and sheets as well. DS is 2 and we still use wool or fleece shorties at night for precaution. There have been nights I was glad he had it on.

November 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i agree with pp that with newborns you need to change them every 2hrs anyway.
Newborn diapers are thinner because they need to be for tiny babies. Your baby isnt that small though so you could easily go with infant or size small. I never bought newborn size for my daughter and she wore size small or infant (prefolds) from 8lbs. It will be bulkier but it will hold more too.
DD born 1/3/12

November 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
A cousin of mine just sent us some wool covers she knitted for him so we'll give them a shot tonight. I was thinking of trying some of my smaller OS on him at night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search