The dreaded Newborn Diapering thread!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I cannot for the life of me decide what I want to use for my newborn stash! I seem to flit between covers an GMD workhorse fitteds, covers and gerber flats, tiny gdiapers with babykicks hemparoo inserts, and shelling out for AIOs. Of course I am also entertaining the idea of sposies until the stump falls of.

I am anticipating a big baby. Peter was 7.5lbs at 4 weeks early. He had a placenta issue which made him come early, so I expect this one to arrive on time (or late) and be BIG. I obviously don't really know...

Peter fit in OS diapers from day one, except for the stump, because he had nice chubby thighs. I know I am rambling, but I honestly don't know if newborn diapers are work the money for one baby (we will not have anymore after Charles) But I prefer not to use sposies at the beginning....

Any input? lol

November 25th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
IMO newborn AIOs are crazy. They are so expensive and you need sooo many diapers for a newborn, then they are outgrown super fast... so then have to resell them or whatever... plus they don't offer the blowout protection of a 2 part system. I know many love them but I just don't feel the need.

We did newborn GMD prefolds, jellyrolled and snappied, with PUL covers, for M and it was super functional, DH and I became expert jellyrollers. She went through TONS of diapers (like 20 a day at times!) And had a lot of massive poops but the only time we ever had poo leak was due to obvious errors (using the NB size stuff when she was really ready for smalls and had plumber crack showing, grandma or granddad not snappiing and then putting the cover on way too loose with big leg gaps, etc).

The only thing I have been at all tempted by is NB fitteds. I know that if baby #2 has a funny shape like M the snap fitteds won't fit right, but I love closureless fitteds like GMD workhorse. However I really can't justify buying NB fitteds when I have 30 NB prefolds, several NB preflats, and 6 small ikea flats ready and waiting... I will buy a couple more newborn covers though. I really like sized NB covers and I bought a fleece Covered Caboose one that looks really comfy... my first NB purchase I may get another bummis SB too... or Capri size 1s... waiting to find out boy or girl though

November 25th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am trying to stay trim too. My son is now to much of a pee-er to use anything buit prefolds or fitteds and they are just SO bulky! I don't want the diaper to over power my little newborn!

November 25th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
See, M is so hefty that I have never felt like her booty is too bulky. I think she looks adorable when she waddles around with a fluffy nighttime butt and her clothes fit fine over like a trifolded GMD red prefold in a Flip or Thirsties Duo. I think prefolds can actually be really trim when they fit well and are fastened tightly.

People say g's are trim... I am not too interested in them though personally... I think out of what you listed, gerber flats would be the most trim. Because you can fold them to the best shape for your baby, right? Probably a newborn kite fold with a jellyroll is what I would try first.

If you are expecting another heavy wetter maybe get some small doublers to have around? I like folding a doubler into a kite or neat fold. It keeps the absorbency where you need it without adding much bulk.

November 25th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Peter wasn't a heavy wetter until about a month ago, when he started holding an flooding.

I would only use gerber flats and/or tiny g's for about 1 month... then he will be into the sunbabies I already have.

November 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
my kids werent big (6.3 at 38 weeks and 7.14 at 40 weeks) we use prefolds and AIOs, obviously prefolds/flats are your cheapest option. I like AIOs though not cheap, i do enjoy the convenience of them, my DH will also use them and thats always a plus! Though i purchased all our AIOs for baby#1 knowing we would likely have 3 children, so i think by the time #3 out grows them i will feel like ive got my moneys worth, and I will probably be able to sell them and make a little back still.

Ive only ever used Sandys on a NB, they worked well but were not even a little trim, ive never used GMD fitteds so i cant speak for them but i havent found any fitted i would really class as trim

If youre anticipating a big baby i wouldnt invest too much in them, i think gerber flats and covers might be the best option for you, since it sounds like baby will fit OS stuff quickly

November 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I'm expecting another small one so I'll be using preemie prefolds with newborn covers, although I just got a 2 step pattern that snaps down to newborn size and opens up to smalls for the step 1. They fit Nattie right now so I'll be making a few of those as pockets.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 29th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll get a few newborn covers but most of my covers will either be OS or like size 1 of a brand that covers newborn and goes a bit further so I get bang for my buck. Some of the covers don't have the flaps at the front and back so prefolds only for those, but for the others that do I'll be going with either prefolds or inserts (husband begged me not to make him fold a diaper).
December 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a small newborn stash that I used with dd. I was hesitant to start cloth when she was first born and we had all kinds of issues with her cord stump so she was in sposies a lot of the time. I have 10 GMD workhorse diapers, 8 BG newborn AIO's and a dozen GMD newborn prefolds and some newborn and small covers. My absolute favorite on dd was the workhorse diapers. They are WONDERFUL! Mine are the no closure ones and I could snappi them up so they fit her perfectly and they worked like a charm. The elastic worked so well that a lot of the time her poo never even made it to the diaper cover. They are also super trim which was important for me and the reason I didn't care much for prefolds.

I did not like the BG newborn diapers. I got mine from a seconds sale so they were super cheap but otherwise they're really pricy IMO. They are also really stiff and the big band of velcro along the front would leave marks on her belly. She outgrew them long before she reached the weight limit because the leg holes are so small. For the diaper to not be overly tight on her legs the waist would be way too loose and gap out.

I'm going to buy a bunch more workhorse diapers for hypothetical baby #2 and call it done.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search