Cloth diaper questions

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
amcashes's Avatar Swollen Feet Mommy
1. Is it safe to was cloth diapers in homemade laundry soap?
2. If you cannot line dry them in the sun what else can you do to sanitize them?
3. Can both of my boys share diapers if I get the one size kind or do I need to buy them different sets?
4. What brand do you personally like the best for small babies and small children?
5. Are the pre-fold inserts better than the liner kind?
6. Do you have to have a diaper sprayer?
7. If you don't have a diaper sprayer what is the best way to clean diapers before you wash them?

I am a crunchy stay at home mom to a , , and a my husband is in our eyes.
December 15th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
1. Is it safe to was cloth diapers in homemade laundry soap? I personally use a homemade soap out of borax, washing soda, and oxyclean. I don't see any problems with this soap and I have used it for 2+years but I also only use prefolds and thirsties covers.

2. If you cannot line dry them in the sun what else can you do to sanitize them? I do a wash on cold and then a wash on hot. I don't see the need to "sanitize" per se. If you are using the right soap/wash routine you should not need to sanitize. Smell is a soap/washing issues.

3. Can both of my boys share diapers if I get the one size kind or do I need to buy them different sets? I don't use one size. But I think snapping and un snapping would get hard and I have heard that little babies don't fit well in one sizes.

4. What brand do you personally like the best for small babies and small children? Prefolds and thirsties/wrap covers. Super easy.

5. Are the pre-fold inserts better than the liner kind? Don't use inserts

6. Do you have to have a diaper sprayer? Nope/kinda we have a split shower head and one is on a hose. We shake as much solid off as we can and spray the rest off in the tub and then spray that with simple green.

7. If you don't have a diaper sprayer what is the best way to clean diapers before you wash them?See above or dip and swish or a spatula.

December 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Now I am curious why not to use the inserts.

December 15th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Any laundry product that gets them clean and does not cause irritation issues is perfectly fine to use.

2. If you cannot line dry them in the sun what else can you do to sanitize them?
I never had to sweat sanitizing anything until my DD was on solids, her poops got way yuckier and I started having stink and ammonia for the first time. Now I use the sanitary cycle on my HE front loader, bleach sometimes, and other times oxygen bleach powder or borax.

3. Can both of my boys share diapers if I get the one size kind or do I need to buy them different sets?
They can share.

4. What brand do you personally like the best for small babies and small children?
Green Mountain Diapers for prefolds and daytime fitteds, Flip covers with trifolded prefolds for older ones, Thirsties Duo covers with fastened prefolds or fitteds for littler EBF ones.

I don't know what you mean. Are you talking about pocket inserts? Can you give some brand names or specific products?

No

7. If you don't have a diaper sprayer what is the best way to clean diapers before you wash them?
We used to dump, use a spatula in the toilet bowl on the really sticky ones and then spray them with a little Bac Out before wringing out, so they would not smell. Ideally they just "plop off" and no special effort is needed, but it depends.

December 15th, 2012, 11:03 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No idea.

No need to "sanitize."

Most "one size" diapers don't fit well till 10-12 lbs. Zoe is about 9 lbs and definitely not fitting well enough in the vast majority of my OS pockets and covers. So the OS stuff is only being used for my toddler. Once she's bigger (and if he's not PT yet) I'll make half of my large pocket stash Zoe sized (snapped down all the way) and the other half Aiden sized (completely let out).

Love GMD prefolds and workhorses with Zoe right now. I like my Rumparooz and Thirsties covers, but I'm mostly finding myself reading for my upcycled wool soakers.

Not sure what you're referring to. Prefolds you fold and pin or snappi and wrap up with a cover. Inserts go inside a pocket diaper (has a pocket just for it). Two different types of diapers!

I do, but just for my toddler since his poops have gotten gross. No need to do anything with baby poop if they're EBF.

Nothing if EBF. Before we had a diaper sprayer (which is very recent), DS's poop mostly just fell into the toilet. If it didn't we dunked and swished around the toilet. Sounds icky, but honestly didn't bother me one bit. DH insisted on the diaper sprayer if I wanted him to keep changing DS's diapers. Ha.

December 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Would this homemade soap work???
1 bar of soap (any kind you want)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of washing soda
a big pot ( that holds more than 2 gallons)
a grater
a funnel
a long spoon
2 empty gallon jugs/containers

December 16th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcashes View Post
Would this homemade soap work???
1 bar of soap (any kind you want)
1 cup of Borax
1 cup of washing soda
a big pot ( that holds more than 2 gallons)
a grater
a funnel
a long spoon
2 empty gallon jugs/containers
NO SOAP!!!! That will coat the diapers and make them repel. This is the same recipe but without any of the cooking. DIY Cloth Diaper Detergent Lasts forever!!!
I have done the above recipe and it is very frustrating over time because it becomes um.... gloppy and lumpy.

You can use the one with soap for regular laundry.http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2009...dry-detergent/
I have a 5gallon bucket of both.

December 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy

Depends on the recipe. The borax in my homemade detergent gave my son crazy blistering rashes

Hot water.

Different people feel differently about this, but I plan on doing it when Timothy arrives.

Brands are not the concern, the size is. I LOVE bummis covers for any age. They are sized and awesome!

Prefolds are bulkier. But they are nice and absorbent. Some inserts are microfibre which tend to hold smell, but some moms love them.

Yes, I have one, but I prefer flushable liners. Exclusively breastfed babies don't need their diapers spread. Just FYI

Liners, or dunking in the potty.

December 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you so much.

December 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy

I don't see why not. I washed mine in whatever and they were fine.

Hot water. I didn't stress this too much.

I feel like it would be a pain in the *** if they were different sizes.

Prefolds and covers (I used Nikky wool and Bummis mostly)

I prefer them. Cheaper, easier, simpler to clean, faster to dry, etc.

No. When things got more solid in the poop department, we just used those flushable/disposable liners.

I was a liner fan.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search