Dealing with family opposition/judgment

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ashj_1218

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This will be our first baby, and the first obviously I've cloth diapered, I am really really excited about it. However I'm getting a LOT of neg. feedback from some family members.

Thankfully dh is fully on board. Our mothers have both however made a couple of irritating comments. MIL has already started buying us disposable diapers, knowing full well that we plan to cloth. I don't understand her doing that because she cloth diapered both her children. She used prefolds with pins and handwashed them all! I think her attitude is that I'm spending too much on the new 'style' of cloth diapers, as well that I'm taking the 'easy way out' by paying extra for easier to wash diapers....

With my mom she tried cloth diapering me as a baby and she quit after 1 poop explosion (as if it would have never happened in a disposable.) When she heard it was what we were choosing to do, she has been quite discouraging. She starts every sentence with 'I'm supportive of whatever you choose to do, BUT....." She also constantly talks about how disgusting it is to carry dirty diapers around in a diaper bag (even when I explained the purpose of the wetbag). My parent's live 3 hours away and so when I visit, I generally stay the night, or a couple nights and plan on continuing this with baby as well. My mom has made it clear that no poop will ever be put inside her washing machine (I had been talking about breastmilk poop being water soluble, but even that after spraying you are washing what is left on the diaper in the machine) and that she thinks you'd have to be mentally disturbed to drive for 3 hours in a car with "(insert alternate word for poopy) diapers smelling up your car"

Does anyone else have similar experiences? What did you do? What do you do when traveling (over night trips, or day trips with a diaper bag)?

December 24th, 2012, 12:46 AM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
Thankfully DH and MIL have been greatwith it and my mom has been to but she has her moments. One time she said she was going to buy some sposies to keep at herhouse for when she babysitting.That mad me mad. But i did get a lot of comments form the rest of the family and friends as well about it and i just ignored them honestly.

As for travel, i have a wet bag i carry in my diaper bag and ive been using disposable wipes when out... i want to get a bigger diaper bag so i can carry my cloth wipes. We havent had any overnight trips yet but i would still do the same. Another idea is you could use disposable inserts when traveling and at your moms house and just hand wash covers... depending on what kind of diapers your using of couse. But if were planning on going on a trip longer then like 2 ish days then ill just use the disposable inserts. The G diapers onesyou can flush down the potty and we used them with him newborn diapers and they work great.

Sorry the babble lol but i hope i helped a bit!

December 24th, 2012, 10:04 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Honestly, the proof will be in the pudding. It's really, really, really common for people doing CDs to get negative responses. Lots about poop, some about "grossness," some about "never sticking with it." And the only way they will stop people or make them change their mind is seeing you succeeding at doing them and how easy they really are. I would just ignore the comments and go about your plans.

As for the washer situation, the first time you stay there, find a laundromat and go there with the diapers. Wear your baby, spend the money, and see if it changes your moms mind. I don't know that you can convince her to use her washer. But the quickest way might be spending several hours away from her grandson, while you are washing diapers in the laundromat for her to realize how darn stupid it is to be afraid of some poo in her washer. Does she seriously think that NO poo will go in her washer...sposies are NOTORIOUS for explosive poop and the outfits will need to be washed. Lol. Same deal, different item.
Gripstress likes this.
December 24th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashj_1218 View Post
Honestly, the proof will be in the pudding. It's really, really, really common for people doing CDs to get negative responses. Lots about poop, some about "grossness," some about "never sticking with it." And the only way they will stop people or make them change their mind is seeing you succeeding at doing them and how easy they really are. I would just ignore the comments and go about your plans.
I second every word of this! Whrn I decided to take the plunge I got a lot of "thats disguisting", "youre crazy" type comments. It was annoying. But now that ive been successfully doing it for almost two years noone has a negative word to say and noone is questioning me about using cloth for our next baby. Ive prooved them all wrong. People really dobt know what theyre talking about so dobt let it get to you. Just stick to your plans.

December 24th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone have issues with diapers smelling in a wet bag? (closed, for example if you are traveling in a car with 3 days of diapers?)

December 24th, 2012, 12:47 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The only time I've had my car smell from diapers is from a diaper being out in the hot car for a whole weekend NOT in a wet bag. Oy. That was a bad mistake! lol. We've done week long vacations with just washing diapers once and never had an issue with our big bag of dirty diapers coming home with us in the car. We've done several long weekends without washing diapers without any issues.

My parents thought I was nuts. My mom said she's buy me disposables for when I was at their house because there would be no poop going in her washer. I said no thanks to the disposables and that I'd just go elsewhere to wash the diapers when I was there (which she knew meant my ILs who she doesn't care for lol). She finally gave up and lets me wash my diapers there now. My dad even put up a retractible line out back for drying. Ha. My ILs have never said a word to me or DH about using them or washing them in their washer.

Just smile and nod at people's remarks. And do what you want. They'll stop saying stuff once you're successful at cloth diapering.

December 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We got a lot of negative comments about it, too... nothing too bad, but just a lot of the usual, "Oh, that's so much work! Are you really going to wash all those dirty diapers? Aren't you tired of the extra time?" Blah. Blah. Blah. I really don't think it's a lot of work or gross at all to wash them. My MIL always has disposable diapers for us when we travel there, even though I told her I most likely wouldn't use them because we would travel with our cloth. She stopped pushing it when it turned out that sposies give our daughter diaper rash (maybe that's an excuse you could use, though?)

As for traveling, I usually try not to do diaper laundry when we're traveling. I have had no issues at all with diapers smelling when stored in a wet bag for a long car ride. I have done the diaper laundry when we went on a long trip with DH's family and no one had an issue, luckily. For a short trip you should be able to avoid washing the diapers at your mom's, but I have a short fuse with that stuff and if it was my mom, I would just tell her that I would never be visiting longer than 3 days unless I could wash the diapers
December 27th, 2012, 03:55 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You will get lots of comments like that in the beginning. I think you just have to try your best to ignore them. Like others said, your success in cloth diapering will be the only thing that will prove to them it works for you. My family was the same way. It was nice when I was having my second and saying I am going to cloth diaper. People would still make the comments about how hard it is and how I won't stick with it and then you can say, "Well, I did CD's the first time" Of course then they would say well you won't want to with newborn. next there they will have nothing to say because now I've done both haha. But really, if it is something you are excited about and want to do don't let others discourage you!!

And we just drove home with 4 days worth of diapers in a garbage bag with no smell issues... so I'm sure a wetbag would be absolutely fine!!

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
December 27th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It will never stop unfortunately.... I am using disposables for my son briefly because he had diarrhea from the antibiotics he is taking and almost everyone in my family said something along the lines of "I am glad you finally gave up those cloth diapers"

When I pregnant people would say stuff like "We'll see how long that lasts...." and "wow, that;s just gross" I even had someone go as far as to tell me that since I live in a dessert area, cloth diapers are actually worse for the environment than sposies. lol

I simply said (over and over and over) that I am the mommy and this is how I am doing it. Didn't usually shut them up, but oh well....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search