New and need A LOT of help!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 25th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am wanting to go all in with cloth diapers and need a lot of help. I research online and end up getting overwhelmed!
Here is my deal: I am pregnant with twins due in June, I have a 4 year old and my husband thinks of cloth diapers as the devil and too much work...UGH! I am a realtor so I work part time from my home and the kids will go to daycare 2-3 days a week while I am in the office. I need something that is no fuss but I cannot spend a ton of money...I am willing to use different kinds of CD for different situations. I really do not want to do to used CD and am leaning towards pocket diapers and found some good deals on amazon but am open to ANYTHING!

Please any advised would be helpful from starting out to how many and what works best. A big question I have is do different brands really make that much of a difference? I see this brand 'happy flute' all over ebay and wonder about it.

December 27th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm still pretty new to it all since my baby is just now starting to fit into his one-size pockets, but I find brand does make a bit of a difference. Out of the brands I have the Fuzzibunz are working the best for us because my son has thin legs and the leg elastic is adjustable. I think you have the right idea by getting a few brands to try and see what works for your babies.

December 27th, 2012, 07:16 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
ABSOLUTELY buy a few brands and try them out. I would not suggest stocking up with one brand and counting on them to be your favorites. Unfortunately, one diaper is not "all around the most popular." Almost every mama on here loves a different diaper, for various reasons, fit being pretty important on that list of reasons. I made the "mistake" of doing the "instant stash" (buying a lot of one kind of diaper) and it didn't work out well for us in the beginning. It DID introduce me to styles, but I ended up wasting my money on diapers I didn't keep (resold, at a loss) and it made my journey to find what worked for us a lot longer.

Brands are somewhat important, since generally (not always, but generally) you get what you pay for. Buying from overseas companies will naturally be cheaper, since labor is cheaper. But materials are also cheaper. And you using them on two children, full time, you might find their longevity is not a strong point. I know lots of ladies on here love Sunbabies. They are similar to happy flute. I have never been impressed myself, I know lots of ladies have trouble with the snaps or with the PUL leaking. IF you can put out more money, do it. It sounds like you have some time to "collect." I would buy a few pocket, a few AIOs, a few fitteds/covers, a few hybrids (flips, best bottoms, etc). All of those are pretty easy and daycare friendly. Pockets and AIOs being more friendly than fitteds or hybrids. But on your days at home, you might prefer a different kind of diaper. It might seem overwhelming to buy some of each kind, but in the end, it will help you decide what to use and not waste a bunch of money.

Brands that are well-loved in each category:
Pockets: BumGenius, fuzzibunz, Sunbaby, Blueberry
AIOs: BumGenius have the market cornered on these...they have two styles of them-free times and Elementals.
Fitteds: Kissaluvs, Thirsties, and GMD workhorses
Prefolds: GMD prefolds, imagine
Hybrids: BumGenius makes flips, Nickis diapers makes best bottoms, Thirsties makes capris
Covers: Thirsties, Bummis, and you can use flip covers as regular covers over fitteds or prefolds as well.

Keep in mind, these are main-stream brands that are well-liked. There are always work-at-home moms who you can buy diapers from and get some better deals. But those I listed are popular among the moms on here and get good reviews from us. In all honesty, with the lack of support you are going to have, you need something that is going to be easy, impressive with its ease of use, and long-lasting. I fear if you buy $3 diapers off a site online you will end up giving up because of the issues you may encounter (leaks, stink, snaps breaking, elastic stretching quickly).
December 27th, 2012, 11:48 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know a couple of CDing mamas with twins. Their #1 advice is to not CD them as newborns. Yes, some do quite well, but they said for them it wasn't worth the hassle at that point. They both went with AIOs and one size pockets (a few different brands) and started using them once they fit. One size stuff typically doesn't fit well until 10 lbs. My newborn is 1 month (she was just shy of 9 lbs at 2 weeks, so I'm guessing she's almost 10 now if not over as chunky as she's become) still doesn't fit well into our one size pockets (mostly blueberry, kawaii, sunbaby size 2, and alva). I can use them on her but all of them tend to leak just because I can't get a tight enough fit on her thighs even with hip snaps being as tight as they go (and she has rolls already!). I have been using mostly GMD newborn prefolds and newborn workhorses with her so far. My husband loves the workhorses and finds them super easy even though they need a cover over them.

I say get a couple of a few different brands that appeal to you (so maybe some USA and a few China cheapies) and just set aside money each month after that. This way you can see what works for you and them once they're here. Once you know what you love, use the money you sat aside to buy more.

As far as your husband goes, mine thought I was NUTS when I switched my son to cloth at 4 months. Yeah, he tries to convince others to use cloth now. Some people just need time and to see the system in action to come over to the dark side. lol

December 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with this ^^ and I also think that with you working PT and having resistant helpers, easing into cloth slowly will be best, you will probably end up doing cloth part time. Which is totally cool and still saves you some moolah. As you break in your DH and others, you can add to the stash slowly until you have a good amount for your needs.

Once they are ready for OS (when their legs chunk up a bit and they are a few months old or so), I would try something like a trial kit from Kelly's Closet or one of the stores that run those "try-wash-return" deals so you can try out the good brands of pockets and AIOs before you splurge. If you have the time now, you can watch the buy/sell/trade forums for "washed once, never used" or "new in package/new with tags" used diapers from the China cheapie brands, these should be VERY cheap, and buy just 1 or 2 of each brand, then you can do your own "trial" to see if you like the design and fit. But like Ashlee said, though these work great for some, the quality is less reliable and they don't work for everybody, so I would not buy a whole bunch of them before you have tried them out.

Good luck and it is great to see you here please ask away if you have additional questions!!

December 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sunbaby cpocket diapers are great, and cheap. They are unlikely to fit well on a newborn though, especially twins. I recommend either finding a great deal on newborn diapers or using disposable until the babies fit one size diapers.

December 27th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks ladies for the info! My plan is to use all the disposable diapers I get from gifts at 1st and go with a one size after because I think I would get confused with all the different sizes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search