Newbie....and a question

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Super Mommy
Hi ladies!

I'm a first time mom due in July and starting to think about a diapering plan together. I've known for awhile that I'm going to CD. My soon-to-be DH is on board (our family...not so much). I think I want to go with All-in-Two's, but will probably buy one or two of several brands before deciding on an entire stash.

I do have one question, for those of you who use the wet-pail method, how do you do it? I am planning on buying a (used) portable washing machine to keep in the bathroom closet to be used as my pail. That way I don't have to haul a heavy pail of wet diapers to the utility room and I don't tie up my regular washing machine all day.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
December 27th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just put the wet bag in a flip top kitchen trash can and carry the bag from the 2nd floor to the basement to wash them like I do any other laundry. It has not been a big deal at all.

December 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I think wet-pail in its usual "form" aren't recommended. Since soaking diapers in water all day constantly can break down the PUL and fibers and elastic much more quickly. But it doesn't sound like you are talking about an actual wet-pail. I could be misreading, but it sounds like you are planning on a separate washer for diapers and just throwing the dirties in there while waiting on having enough to wash. Which should work fine. Especially a dry washer. I wouldnt fill it. But is probably a lot more expensive of a route, both buying the portable washer and then running it (I am guessing they aren't energy efficient or even very large) than if you bought some wetbags (actually dry storage). I don't find it to be a big deal to store diapers in a large wetbag in my bathroom and then just carry the bag to the washer. Generally a washer can only hold 20 diapers at a time and get them nicely clean, so the bag doesn't really get that heavy. Just a suggestion. A portable washer would work fine too.

Last edited by ashj_1218; December 27th, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
December 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know anyone who does a wet pail honestly. We have a zippered wet bag for upstairs diaper changes and a garbage can with pail liner for downstairs changes (we do most changes downstairs since it's where we are all day). Every other day I bring the wet bag down (nothing wet about it despite the name) and do a load of diapers of everything from the bag and pail. It takes me maybe two hours to wash my diapers, and it only takes that long because I'm chasing a toddler and need to manually set my non fancy washer to rinse.

December 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't wet pail either. But if you do a wet pail type system as you plan, with AI2s you could make it work. You would put the AI2 inserts (or prefolds or flats or whatever) in the washer (with or without water in there) and wash the shells/covers separately, maybe with the regular baby laundry, which will prolong their life with their more delicate materials (PUL, elastic, velcro or snaps etc).

I highly recommend Flip covers with trifolded prefolds (sized ones that aren't too long) as an AI2 system. The Flip inserts I have heard are super absorbent but also bulky on littler ones. I have heard Econobum prefolds are much trimmer- less absorbent of course but fine for daytime. I personally use Green Mountain Diapers prefolds trifolded in Flips all the time. Other covers are good too, I have heard Diaper Rite and Diaper Safari covers have good flaps.

I have also used GroVia AI2s but they are very pricey and not worth it IMO. They are also small for a OS and my huge DD outgrew them at 8ish months.

December 27th, 2012, 10:47 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Matthew's Mommy!
I also just have a pain liner in a flip top trash can and it works great.

I use AI2, the flips with the flip inserts and I love them! I have 8 covers with 36 inserts which works great for us. The 36 inserts is actually more then enough and I think like 25 ish would be a goodnumber. But I wash them all together then the inserts and wipes go in the dryer and I hang dry the covers and pail liners. Works great for me and I havent had any issues with them.

December 28th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I can't imagine the need for it. I am just new to cloth but I just throw the prefolds(GMD Cloth-eez) & covers(Thirsties small) into a large wetbag as is. I wash every 3 days w/ a cold rinse, no detergent, and then a hot wash w/ Tide Original powder. It's really quick...about 1 1/2 hours as I have to go back to add detergent after the rinse. I then dry prefolds & will hang covers to dry if I get some sun. Oh and the wetbag goes into the wash also. Not heavy at all and I have my stuff upstairs and just had a c-section. I am really enjoying cloth btw! No blowouts and pretty simple. Oh and I have a family of 6 people & no issues w/ tying up the washer/dryer.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

December 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
I've never used a wet pail either, but I do use a Paul liner in a trash can with flip lid. I only have to do diapers every 3 days since my dd only wears them at night now, but it only takes me around an hr or so
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

December 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't use a wet pail and my wash only takes a little over an hour. I do a rinse, wash with an extra rinse and then 1 or 2 more rinses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search