Organic Newborn Options

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 5th, 2013, 04:40 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to cloth diaper when my baby is born right from the start. I do not want to spend a fortune on the newborn size because I know he/she will grow out of them fast. I also want organic material. I am having a hard time deciding what to get. Should I just go with an organic prefold? What cover would you recommend to go over it at the small stage but that will last a while? I also was looking at fitted but I am wondering if it's worth it or should I save money with the prefolds while in the newborn stage.

Any advice would be great!

Also, I hate hospital wipes! Am I over the top to bring my own natural ones and/or cloth wipes to the hospital with me?

Now I just looked through here more and online and I am thinking the GMD workhorse diapers with blueberry mini covers?

Last edited by mommy220; January 5th, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
January 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've really liked GMD (Green Mountain Diapers) prefolds and workhorses for the newborn stage. I had an easy time finding them used between friends and the GMD FB swap page. We use a lot of wool (some knit, mostly upcycled) and Thirsties XS covers. Zoe was 7, 12 at birth and the covers were a bit big but useable. I have one rumparooz newborn cover and I really like it. Cinched down small enough and still usable now when almost everything else newborn doesn't fit in the least bit (she's my chub chub lol). Can't comment on those blueberry covers because I have never used them, but I do like my regular OS blueberry covers for older babies and toddlers.
Zoe has been cloth diapered from birth, so I brought my cloth and all to the hospital. Couple of raised eyebrows, but it was super easy. We left 24 hours after birth, so wasn't like I needed much.

January 6th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Veteran
With DS3, this was my first time CDing a newborn. I have to say, I love it! I use GMD infant size (orange stitching) and infant size Osocozy organic Indian PFs. I love Thirsties XS covers and Weehuggers sz1. They are very soft around the elastic and have side gussets to hold in poop at the legs. The Weehuggers would last longer b/c they have a snap rise. I would def say invest in a NB stash. To me, it was really worth it and I know I can resell it later on. I'm not a big fan of Whisper wraps or Thirsties one sz covers, just b/c they are very stiff feeling and don't fit a NB as tightly as the others in my stash. I got my whole stash for a great price on diaperswappers btw. I love that site! HTH!
January 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you very much!

Do you happen to have the link to the GMD FB swapper page?

January 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran
I don't know the FB site, but here is a link to diaperswappers ---> ~ The FSOT ~ - Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com I just bought my Osocozy stay drys from there for $25 new shipped! Buying them new was 40+ on any other site.
January 8th, 2013, 03:46 AM
Definitely bring your own wipes with you. I don't think you're being over-the-top. LOL.

As for covers that grow with the baby, we used Grovia brand in our household. The Grovia covers breath really well and they have snaps on them that allow you to expand the diaper as the baby grows. It's all cloth, in other words, there isn't any plastic lining to deal with. We really like them.

I just tri-folded an organic prefold and laid it inside. So for me the newborn size actually lasted for the whole first nine months with my son. But that's because I just laid them in there. I didn't affix them with snappies and I did EC with my son to catch the majority of pees and all of the poops in the potty - worth looking into as well. You can cloth diaper as a backup with elimination communication and it goes rather well. Hope this helps!
January 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Thank you everyone!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search