Help, cloth is suddenly causing rash

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont know what is causing this but DD is now getting a rash from her cloth diapers. It started at the beginning of Dec. We moved and I put DD in disposables for a few days because our washer was not ready yet and she got a rash. I thought it was the disposables so i was happy to have her back in cloth. Well it started to get worse in the cloth. She even started to get spots where her skin was peeling. I tried CJs butter for the rash but it did nothing. I decided to go to my stand by (from when my son was a baby) and use some butt paste but i needed a barrier since its not cloth friendly. I tried using it with a cloth wipe between and it cleared it up. Then I had her in flip disposable inserts over the holidays while we were traveling (and let me tell you I LOVE this option for travel, we will use it every time we travel from now on if its more than a couple of days). Her bum cleared up quickly with the butt paste and we stopped using it with the flip disposable inserts and she was fine for 2 weeks. Then we got home and I put her into her cloth again and immediately her bum was bright red when I took it off. I tried it for one day with her cloth and it just kept getting worse so i put her back into the flips.

I dont want her to keep wearing the flips at home. we dont have many inserts left anyway, they were only supposed to be for travel. Im not sure what is causing the rash. I didnt change anything when we moved besides the water source. We are still in the same water system though since we didnt move far from our old home. I have checked and the water is HOT (i turn off the cold water when its filling for the wash cycle). I am using charlies soap as always.

Any ideas? The diapers do have some smell to them. I only have cotton (BGE) and cotton/hemp blend (Best bottom) that are being used at the moment and cotton wipes. I have checked the rinse cycle and there are no bubbles at the last rinse so I dont think its detergent buildup.
DD born 1/3/12

January 7th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My first thought is that they are not getting clean and I would do a bleach wash followed by an oxyclean or oxygen bleach wash, to get all the bacteria as well as chlorine residues out. Maybe there was some gunk in the pipes at the new house that is still getting cleared out? Also, maybe she is getting sensitive to her own pee for some reason? You could try fleece liners and see if it helps?

Sorry you are dealing with this hope it gets resolved soon!!

January 8th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
thanks, im trying this now
DD born 1/3/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search