doubler with flips

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 11:15 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use flips with my son, cover and inserts and hes starting to pee a ton. Ive never had leaks but I know im going to need a doubler soon. I was thinking of using 2 inserts but I dont want it to be to bulky. Im ok with using 2 at night but not all the time I think it would be to much. Any sugestions on something that would work? Anything homemade thats not to bulky? Thanks in advance!

January 12th, 2013, 04:20 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
you could use pretty much anything honestly, do you have any newborn inserts? you could stick one of those under the OS insert it wouldnt be bulky

otherwise do you sew? you could use some old T shirts to make doublers pretty easily

January 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What are you using as inserts now? The staydry? Since those are microfiber I don't know if they are the most absorbent. The organic inserts are supposed to hold a ton. I think the trimmest thing would be a hemp doubler behind the staydry if that is what you have now. I use medium size GMD trifolded prefolds (not stay dry but cheap!) And they hold an awful lot.

January 12th, 2013, 02:38 PM
I use the stay dry microfiber flip inserts. There great dont get me wrong i just would like something thin to add under for some extra absorbancy.

How doyou make your own? Like what materials would you use? I do sew so that wouldnt be an issue, I just want thin. I dont want his diaper to be to bulky.

I dont have any newborn inserts, I had just used the gdiapers disposable ones. But with the next baby i will be using kissaluvs fitteds so that wont work now lol

I was thinking about hemp but I dont know if i want to add another load to my laundry, you have to wash hemp seperate right? So i would perfer something that i can wash all together like i do now

So confusing i know! But thank you all so much for the help though!

January 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM
i would just cut an old t shirt and sew 2-3 layers thick, you could trace an insert you already have to make your pattern

you only have to prep hemp separately, so once youve got them prepped you can wash them all together
jojo2bee likes this.

January 13th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah ditto, you can definitely wash prepped hemp with the other diapers!!!

To prep I would boil them with a dash of dish liquid for 10 minutes or so (you should see a ton of oils come out and smell it), then wash and dry a few times with towels or regular laundry, then they should be good to use. The absorbency will keep improving for awhile but you won't need to worry about affecting the microfiber inserts.

Hemp fabric will be wayyy more absorbent than T shirt cotton. If you make T shirt doublers, then depending on the fabric thickness I might make them more like 6 layers. That is how many layers the Flip organics have and they are also cotton jersey (then they get trifolded for 18 layers of absorbency in the insert). I think the GMD cotton twill doublers are 8 layers but they are a more open weave than jersey. You could also make them 3 layers and twice as wide as you need, then fold in half to use. Just my opinions here I like my doublers to be very absorbent so I only need one! But you can always double up on thinner ones if they are not absorbent enough for you, no big deal.
jojo2bee likes this.

January 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Great thank you! I didnt know you can wash hemp with them all, im probaly going to look into those more... can you buy hemp material? Maybe i could just make some myself? Would it be cheaper?

I think i will try the t shirt material ones to , make a couple and try them out to see how they work for us. Im thinking i will perfer hemp since there so much more absorbant but well see!

Thanks again!

January 14th, 2013, 04:33 AM
ya hemp will hold a ton more than a t shirt, so if thats an investment you can afford to make id look into getting some. You can buy hemp yardage online too so if you are into sewing you could probably make your own and save a bit

January 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You don't always save a lot of money with buying hemp online and making your own because it is really heavy to ship. So I would price it out and be sure you are saving! You can also look for used deals, that saves you prepping time too

January 14th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Great thanks ladies!

January 21st, 2013, 12:12 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a bunch of newborn Flip inserts and I will stick one of those in the bottom of the diaper if she's going to be wearing it a long time. I've also used GMD terry cloth wipes as doublers since they're so thin and pretty absorbent.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search