Washer/dryer

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm asking again anyways:

We are in the market for a new washer and dryer. What do you use? Pros/cons how long have you had it? How do you find washing diapers in it? What are your favorite/least favorite features?

Thanks SOOO much in advance!

January 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For cloth diapering, top loaders are better!

I actually use a cheap toploader and it cleans fantastically!

January 27th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
^^ yes, and make sure it is a CHEAP and NOT energy efficient, HE, or energy star washer!!!! Lots of water (HOT water!) and agitation is the best for cleaning diapers.

Energy efficient top loaders are actually often worse than front loaders because they get their energy savings from not heating the water, not doing long cycles, etc... the agitator takes up a lot of energy. Front loaders have no agitator and get the agitation by the clothes tumbling around and falling around rubbing each other, saves a ton of energy and it works very well when you have the right sized load in there (drum about 1/2-2/3 full).

I do fine with my HE front loader. Those are pricey but very efficient and great for most laundry. Mine does well with diapers because it has a prewash option, extra rinse option, and nice long Heavy Duty and Sanitary cycles. You can "set it and forget it" although it does take over 3 hours to go through all the cycles and rinses for my usual diaper routine! And I literally notice NO change in our water or energy bills from whether or not we are using cloth diapers, and I live in a water scarce area where they charge quite a bit for water use.

Any dryer is fine. You will end up not using any sensor dry type cycles because of how thick and absorbent diapers are, the sensor will think they are dry when they are still damp. I always do 1 hour on medium for all my diapers.
crunchywannabe likes this.

January 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have an HE low water washer. It just took some playing around to figure out how to get a washing routine I like. I also do 60 minutes drying on low, which is one step above air only. Air only takes 90 mins or more.

January 29th, 2013, 04:37 AM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a cheap extra capacity Kenmore washer and dryer. While we'd love a fancy set, we decided it made more sense to wait till we're done with diapered babies. We actually got our dryer for $60 off of an online yardsale site! lol. We've been using the washer for 6.5 years now without a single problem and we've moved with it 3 times (one move we couldn't use it, so it didn't come with us). My advice is to make sure it's a descent size washer and don't spend too much money.
Do keep in mind that your water type plays a big part. We move a lot so I have zero desire to keep figuring out washing routines with an HE.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search