May be changing over to cloth diapering

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
babygreenes.mommy
Hi, my name is Sarah and I need lots and LOTS of advice. I've never cloth diapered my daughter, Athena, and my husband isn't on board with it, but I'd really like to try to do it...especially with another baby on the way. His argument is "they stink, they are a pain in the a** to deal with..." but the last time he cloth diapered was when there was an emergency when his boys were babies...they are now all between the ages of 14 and 21.

With that said, is cloth diapering really that big of a pain to do?? My mom thinks its a bad idea too for the same reasons, but again, she hasn't cloth diapered since my oldest brother was a baby 29 years ago. I feel like cloth diapering had to have come a long way since then.

What all would I need to get to start out? I saw special detergents, liners, etc...
February 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi there and welcome!

You don't need special detergents. Many moms like to use them, and many online stores like to sell them, but they are not at all required. As long as your detergent has no added fabric softeners and is good at cleaning your dirtiest regular laundry, it will be fine! Original Tide is probably the single most popular detergent used by cloth diapering moms.

Liners can make dealing with poop easier, but you don't need them either. If your baby's poop is pretty solid, it will just plop right off into the toilet, done. If your baby is little and exclusively breast fed (not on any solid foods yet), then the poop will completely dissolve in water and wash out in the prewash. If the poop is icky sticky and peanut buttery, that is the worst and you will want to get a diaper sprayer or else use liners.

You might want to check out a cloth diaper trial program. This is generally a thing where you have 30 days to try the diapers, wash, and return any if you don't want them, it's a nice way to try out some different kinds. Here is one program:
https://www.momsmilkboutique.com/clo...-packages.html
But you might want to google around for others!

Hope this helps and let us know if any more questions come up!

February 14th, 2013, 01:32 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your family basically sounds like mine when I wanted to start. Don't let it deter you! I have been CD'ing for years now and still love it.

I liked to start out with a few different brands, and then you can get an idea of how you are liking the whole process too. It's really not more work though in my opinion

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 15th, 2013, 11:11 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've been cloth diapering for over two years now and my only regret is not starting sooner. My husband is the reason we didn't CD our older son. When the second came along, I decided to try cloth whether he liked it or not. Now he's the one touting cloth to people all the time!

February 17th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved cloth diapering both of my kids. I didn't start until my son was 10 months. I found it rewarding and also a fun hobby (sounds crazy, I know).
I really liked All in Ones. They look and function like a disposable. They are daddy and babysitter friendly. Bumgenius Elementals were my fav. I've heard good things about about Simplex one-sized.

For supplies, I liked having 2 days worth of diapers, 2 zippered hanging wetbags, a little wetbags for my diaper bag.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search