Prefolds and a heavy wetter

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
Granted I've only been at prefolds for a short time (was waiting for the cord to fall off) but I'm not sure if it's going to work with my son. He wets heavy and a lot. Every time I've changed him hes wet ask the way through to the cover and I have to wash the cover. I don't have enough covers for this!!

Is there anything I can do to make the prefolds more absorbent, or are some babies just not made for prefolds?

February 6th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you using preemie prefolds? Why brand or ply are the prefolds? Are they fully prepped?

Fully prepped 4x8x4 newborn size prefolds like GMD should hold up to any baby whose cord is still attached! It is not uncommon to need to size up for absorbency from some newborn diapers though. But the quality and absorbency of "newborn" prefolds varies widely. Some are not very absorbent at all, fine for light wetters but not heavy wetters!

Can you double up? Trifold one inside another one that is fastened on?

February 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I'm using fully prepped gmd newborn prefolds and thirstie wraps. I think a bit of it is newbie learning curve - I've learned a lot over the past couple of days!!! But hes still leaking through it if he takes a longer nap and at nighttime. I've got some bamboo inserts, can I use those for nighttime?

Oh double up! Yes I'll try that!

February 6th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If the prefold is totally soaked through, it is doing its job, you just need more absorbency. Bamboo inserts would be great to try as doublers, either inside or outside the prefold! That would be a super absorbent doubler and let him go a lot longer. Sounds like you've got a real heavy wetter on your hands, good luck!!!

You might need to unsnap a setting on the covers to cover a bigger diaper. Or think about sizing up soon to get more absorbency, if you can get the fit right. I'm assuming your heavy wetter is a big eater and chunking up quickly so he might be ready sooner rather than later!

February 6th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Yep hes a big eater!! He probably will be out of the nb size soon. Figures, since we've got a lot of the nb size and none of the next size up. Cding is such a gamble when you order your stash before the lo gets here!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search