detergent

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are your favorite cloth safe detergents?

I have been using charlie's soap but i think my DD might be having a problem with it. She keeps getting rashes.
With my son years ago I used regular liquid tide and it worked great. Ive heard it was reformulated and doesnt work as well. Is this true? Also I have a HE top loader so I have HE liquid Tide, does that matter?
DD born 1/3/12

February 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't believe in "cloth safe", if it cleans well and doesn't have built in fabric softener I assume it is fine. I have yet to experience this mythical "detergent build up from non cloth safe detergent" I have read about. If I see suds in my rinse (like when our water utility switches water sources and suddenly I have softer water) I just do an extra wash cycle to rinse more and then use less detergent next time.

We also always use liquid detergent in our HE washer, I have experienced powders not dissolving enough and having residues in the dispenser and even powdery white patches on dark clothing.

Anyway, that said I am at the end of a huge tub of Kirkland (Costco brand) free & clear, it is basically like Tide F&G but has no brighteners, it served us well. I let our Costco membership lapse bc we didn't use it enough to justify it, so I have a big tub of Tide F&G ready to go instead. I also used 7th Generation unscented for awhile but it is so dang expensive and not any better than Tide or Kirkland. I check ingredients to make sure the detergent contains enzymes. And I don't like fragrances of any kind.

We have quite hard water most of the time so I throw Borax and/or Oxygen bleach powder (biokleen brand) in the drum for the prewash and do a sanitary wash cycle + extra rinse, most of the time. Then if the diapers are extra poopy (like right now, she has had a virus and diarrhea) or I am starting to get a hint of ammonia in the night diaper, I do a bleach wash on Delicates (uses more water) followed by a regular heavy duty wash with extra rinse. I have to adjust how much detergent and additives I use based on how hard our water is it can vary a lot based on recent rainfall or drought conditions.

Congrats on finishing my novel

February 6th, 2013, 07:22 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Lets see...

I've used ECOs and I hated it...
So I switche to either tide free and clear or all free and clear either works well for me
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 7th, 2013, 10:45 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
Right now I am using grovia tiny bubbles, and I like it, but I will probably just start using our regular detergent once it runs out. We typically use purex free and clear for our clothes, but I might try the kirkland brand that shen7 mentioned next. I need to make a costco trip anyways.
February 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM
alwayssmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've had issues in the past with All F&C military version and RnG. I've been using Crunchy Clean for the longest and love it. Zero issues ever.

February 21st, 2013, 08:30 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I HATED Charlies. Diapers did not smell clean.
I also hated Eco sprouts, laundry tarts, and a few others.

I switched to Tide original powder and have never looked back.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search