Smelly?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Veteran
I am going to try CD with our first born this June. I am concerned about the smell of used diapers in the house. Any advice? The plan is to wash a load daily. If this has been discussed previously, a link to that discussion would be great! Thanks!!
February 13th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In my experience, cloth diapers in a dry pail that has some air flow (not shut up airtight) do not smell much at all. Disposables smell absolutely horrible almost immediately.

Things that make pail odor worse: making it airtight and oxygen-deprived so the stinky chemical reactions happen; hot weather combined with going 3 or more days before washing; and obviously a bout of nasty diarrhea, or a toddler eating solids makes stinky poops! (Of course you flush the solid poop, but some smell can linger if you don't take additional steps)

Things that improve pail odor:
Washing every 2 days or so, or less
Keeping the top open for air flow
For an older baby, squirting some Bac Out, oxy stain remover, or similar solution on sprayed off poopy diapers
Sprinkling some baking soda or spraying a little Bac Out on the top of the pail

If the diapers are just instantly stinky when just peed in, you have a washing issue. Probably need hotter water and/or more detergent, a better detergent, or maybe a little bleach to really kill it. This should not happen with clean diapers.

We keep the hanging wet bag in our daughter's room, and when she slept in our room, it was in our bedroom. So needless to say we had to keep odor down! It was fine. There should really be no need to wash every day. If you run into any problems when baby gets here, please come back and ask for help! But as long as you have a good wash routine and follow the steps above, it should be just fine. Hope that helps!
Lady KW likes this.

February 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
In my experience, cloth diapers in a dry pail that has some air flow (not shut up airtight) do not smell much at all. Disposables smell absolutely horrible almost immediately.
I definitely find that disposables smell way worse! I remember being worried about the smell of cloth diapers before we started, but was surprised to find that they smelled better than a pail full of disposables.

Right now we are using a regular garbage can that we got from ikea with a wetbag for our cloth, and the stink issues have been minimal. It smells when you open the pail, but otherwise it is fine. Also, during the first 6 months before we started solid foods, my son's poop was nearly odorless (I miss those days!) and so the diaper pail didn't smell nearly as much.

As shen7 said, wash every two days to minimize stink. Washing daily is great, but you might find you don't need to wash quite as often.
February 13th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Yup I agree with above! Keep the pail open and it will be much better! I used to close mine and WOW it was bad...... now it's open all the time. Granted I'm cheating by hiding my pail in the garage.....lol.

February 14th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Veteran
Thank you so much!

Do most of you use regular trash bin?
February 14th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I use a Fuzzibunz hanging wet bag (these days it just sits in a heap on the floor!) But I have heard those cheap plastic kitchen bins with an air vent and flip top opening work well. You can either get 2 PUL pail liners (to rotate) and wash them with the diapers, or use garbage bags, or just use the pail itself and rinse it between uses.

February 14th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I think the key to eliminating diaper odor is an air-tight disposal container. Once the diaper comes off, immediately toss it into the dispenser.
February 14th, 2013, 01:24 PM
irishblessing's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with everyone else. We have an open top pail, and rinse out the poppy diapers right away, and there is next to no smell. Which is a huge improvement oven when we used disposables. Man, nothing smelt worse than opening that can or taking the bag out. YUCK lol

Thank you Vicki for my new siggy!
February 15th, 2013, 11:07 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenL View Post
I think the key to eliminating diaper odor is an air-tight disposal container. Once the diaper comes off, immediately toss it into the dispenser.
I have to disagree.

We keep our dirties in a wet bag sitting on top of the washer. The only smell issues we ever get are occasional ammonia smell from an overnight diaper or an exceptionally stinky poo. Either way, the smell usually fades within a few hours. We've had guests going in and out through the garage and laundry room and have no idea there's dirty diapers in there.

ETA: I only wash twice a week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search