trifold prefolds for newborn? Picture added

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got some preemie prefolds for Ted for $7 a dozen, and I couldn't pass up the deal. They don't look like they will work well snappied or pinned. Do you think this set up will keep the ebf poop off the covers? It will be kind of fanned out in back.

Last edited by stargatemommy; February 16th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
February 16th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe it will work for little poops. Depends on what a big pooper he is How many covers do you have?

February 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
10 covers, plus wool longies.

February 16th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
10 covers is pretty ample. Sounds good to me. You will have some other diapers too right? Because I definitely would not do trifolded preemie pfs with wool!!

February 16th, 2013, 03:44 PM
ohnicole's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also think you will probably end up with some poop on the cover... we always did with trifolded prefolds... but 10 covers should be plenty!
February 16th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Should I add extender tabs instead?

February 16th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nah, I wouldn't add tabs, you will still outgrow the absorbency really fast and need to double up, and they will be too small to jellyroll and too short in the rise to fasten pretty fast anyway, trifolding in your covers should be fine. I would get some small/yellow edge closureless workhorses or something for the wool, or else just sell off the wool and call it done!

February 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
We actually snappied preemie prefolds for a couple weeks with Kieran. We used two at once and jelly rolled the sides. After those coupe weeks, he was outgrowing the rise and they were no longer in our stash (we kept them, but didn't use them). But I actually really liked them for under newborn Bummis covers. And he wasn't a small-fry (8lbs, 4oz and 21.75" long). So I do think you can get some use out of them, both trifolded and with a snappi. But, like the others, I don't think I would risk it under wool alone. They did leak sometimes, since EBF is pretty explosive and they are pretty tiny overall. But we did like them. We actually didn't buy orange edge this time, instead we got periwinkles (discontinued) because I figured if we had preemie and then we moved up from there, we would be ready for a slightly bigger newborn size. And I happened to fall into some periwinkles. I don't expect a small baby, so I am thinking it will work fine.

But with ten covers, you should be good even if a couple get slimed in the same day. I don't know if I would tuck the prefolds under the flap in the front of the diaper for a boy. My boys tended to pee in the front more than anything else and I see that getting the cover wet a lot and cutting down the pee absorbency. But that would only matter if he is a big peer, like my boys were. A more normal newborn soaker probably wouldn't pee enough between changes to soak it. But just something to think about if yours does turn out to be a heavy wetter.
February 18th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Erin.minus.thyroid's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i would jellyroll the sides. it works really well for EBF poops in my experience
DD born 1/3/12

March 9th, 2013, 08:22 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
I used the Preemie size (Bummis) with snappis when Eli was tiny. They worked nicely for 2-3wks. But once he got chunky, I had to trifold.

And my kiddo was big 8lbs11oz and 20.5in tall at birth. We managed to use them for a whole month.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search