Starting from scratch

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By jojo2bee
  • 1 Post By May14th2011
  • 1 Post By MamaLemonade

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Hi ladies! I'm currently pregnant with my first baby, and I am really interested in cloth diapering. It's pretty early and I probably won't be buying anything for awhile, but I'm finding the world of cloth diapering a little overwhelming and was hoping that y'all might be able to help a newbie out so that when the time comes to start buying I'm not totally lost.

I guess some of the main questions I have are things like where should I start? How many will I need for the first little while? Which brands are best? Which styles do you prefer/find to work best? How does washing work? What is a snappi? Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew when you started cloth diapering?

Thanks in advance!

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
February 18th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
where should I start? I started on greenmountaindiapers.com - they have a page for overwhelmed new to cloth people They focus on tried-and-true and mostly cotton styles and fabrics, which although I eventually branched out from, I still think in the back of my mind that those things ARE the best and Karen is right about everything

How many will I need for the first little while? Newborns go through more diapers, toddlers through less. 2-3 dozen changes is good to have on hand for a newborn, 2 dozen is plenty for an older baby. It depends on the baby a lot too!

Which brands are best? I like greenmountaindiapers.com (GMD/Cloth-eez brand) for quality. Imagine brand from nickisdiapers.com is a good lower price brand too.

Which styles do you prefer/find to work best? Prefolds in covers are my favorite, with some natural fiber All In Ones (AIOs) thrown in. I like to snappi a prefold on an EBF baby (to hold in their runny poop!) and just trifold it in a velcro fastening cover for an older baby.

How does washing work? Prewash, long hot heavy duty wash with enough detergent for a large heavily soiled load, extra rinse. Any detergent that works for your dirtiest regular laundry and has no built-in fabric softeners will be fine. If you have stink creeping in, add a little bleach to the prewash or add oxyclean.

What is a snappi? It is a stretchy rubber Y-shaped thing with grabby teeth (sort of like an Ace bandage holder) at the ends. You dig the teeth into the diaper to hold it in place. Fasten one side, pull tight and fasten the other side, then pull down the bottom of the Y and fasten it to anchor. Much faster and easier than pins!

Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew when you started cloth diapering?
I wish I just stuck with prefolds and covers the whole time, they work so well for us! I experimented a lot and got into expensive fitteds and wool but now with #2, I just want prefolds and covers, and some AIOs/snapping AI2s for on the go. Simplicity is a wonderful thing and there is no need to try everything if you have a system that works for you.
Keakie likes this.

February 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am new to cd'ing as well, I will be using cloth on my twin here in a few months. I was also very overwhelmed at first.

Look up cloth diapering 101 parts 1-7 by Jaimee. I just looked at these and wish I would have at the very beginning. It is a good start.
I also read online at nickisdiapers.com and that helped me.

Shen7 ^^ is awesome and has good advise she helps me a lot!
Keakie likes this.

February 18th, 2013, 10:34 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cant even remember where all I searched for info on CD, everywhere pretty much. I researched for weeks untill I mde my final decision to use cloh and I LOVE it!

First I wuld say research all the styles of cloth diapers (all in ones, fitteds, contures, prefolds, etc.) get a feel for the styles then figure which one(s) will work best for you. then look into brands and what not.

I purchased mine from Cloth Diapers, Cloth Diaper Covers, bumGenius, Bummis, Kissaluvs and MORE from the top Ranked Online Cloth Diaper Store they aso have some great info on cloth as well.

as for newborns, your going to need newborn diapers then others for when the get bigger. I have newborn diapers and then one size ones that fit him right after the newborn stage and to potty training. I suggest Kissaluvs fitteds size 0 and a cover for newborn. thats what I will be using for the next baby. I use flips with the microfiber inserts for when he out grew the newborn and will use into potty training. would like to try fitteds for him now but will make my own if I do.

The amount to get all depends on the style of diaper and how often you want to wash. I have 8 covers and 36 inserts and thats plenty to wash every other day to every 2 days. I could even go for less inserts (I just wanted to be prepared lol) But for daily washing I would say at least 15-18 for newborn (since they can soil like 4 diapers in 10 minutes sometimes lol) and thats also to have some while washing the others and for the multiple messes. if you want to wash every other day then double the amount. just remember newborns need about 12 changes a day on average. as for the next stage up I would say about 12-15 a day just t have the extras.

Washing is easy. I just do a cold rinse, hot wash with detergent, cold rinse, cold rinse. I use tide free and gental detergent and it works great, I've no issues with it. you dont have to buy diaper specific detergent the free and gental ones work great to. I have 2 pail liners so when I wash the diapers I wash theliner as well and put the clean one in the pail so I alternated between them. I just hae a small flip top trash can as a pail.

snappies are used to secure fitteds and contur diapers under covers (like a safety pin just no needles)

Iould also sugest a diaper sprayer. you dont need to get one or anything and theres many other was to get the poop off but I personay love my diaper sprayer. If your planning to EBF then you can just wash the diapers, there no need to rinse off the poop because EBF poop is water soluable. but if you formula feed and wen starting solids then you want to remove the poop and I find the diaper sprayer VERY convient. expecially since startin solids and the poop is like peanut butter lol.

But all I can say is research research research! thas the best way to find out what there is out there and to get opnions as well. I find youtube helpful to 'see' the diapers and how they work

good luck! I hope I was a little helpful for you!
Keakie likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Wow, thank you so much, ladies! Those links and recommendations help a lot. I'll probably read over them some more in the next few days. I really appreciate it!

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
February 19th, 2013, 09:18 AM
The Truth is out There
I went with prefolds and Thirsties covers for the newborn stage, just because it was cheaper and we didn't have a lot of money. Otherwise, I probably would have gone with All-In-Ones. I got my prefolds from Cottonbabies.com, they are cheap and work well.
Now that Maggie is bigger (8lbs!) we're going to be switching to Sunbaby pocket diapers, as soon as they get here.

You've gotten a lot of good answers here.
Keakie likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
where should I start?.... Depends on what you want to spend, Prefolds and covers are the cheapest and then you can go with the more expensive all in one . I would check out the different site that have been mentioned and maybe look into 3 or 4 brands.
Www.nickiscloset.com
Cloth Diapers - Cloth Diaper Covers - bumGenius! - FuzziBunz
Cloth Diapers | Best Cloth Diapers by bumGenius, Fuzzi bunz, Thirsties and GroVia
Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com
Face book co ops & cloth diaper swap on FB

How many will I need for the first little while? Depends on when you want to wash. Minimum of 24 for a NB and that's with washing every day to every other day.
I know on my to buy list there is 24 Prefolds ( 6-NB 18-small) 6- lil joeys AIO,2 blueberry mini, 6 kiss a luv fitteds, 6 gmd workhorse fitteds and 6 covers, that's my on NB stash list/purchased. So a total of 42 For the NB stage and in plan on washing every other day( I'm addicted to cloth)

Which brands are best? Honestly it depends on baby and how they fit the baby, I would try a few different brands ( maybe buy used at first or with a couple of brand and style) its really trail an error till you figure out what's BEST for you & your infant.

Which styles do you prefer/find to work best? With dd I found Bagshot row bamboo hybrid elites worked best for her at night and during the day she was good with a pocket( jc trade, bg, fb elite, or sun baby) with a hemp or bamboo insert. We also loved our bum-wear extreme sized diapers. Your night diaper will usually differ from your day time option

How does washing work? This also depends on your water, I know mine I have to cold rinse with bio-kleen and then cold rinse with out, hot wash with detergent(tide or all free and clear)then I rinse till I see no suds. My water hates me and occasionally I hav to use bleach or oxi clean in first rinse.

Is there anything you know now that you wish you knew when you started cloth diapering? That its super addictive and that I'm constantly wanting to buy well trade to get something new, but I seem to always come back to what's worked.

Shen7- has awesome advice if you need anything let us know we love to help
Keakie likes this.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search