Tips to persuade SO

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2013, 12:01 AM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
I really really really want to persuade my SO to agree to cloth diapers. He's such a traditional guy that I don't know how to make it appeal to him. I wouldn't call myself crunchy, maybe a bit chunky? lol Never thought I'd willingly call myself chunky But I do find myself wanting to do more crunchier methods than traditional at this point. I just have a feeling that if I bring up cloth diapers, my SO will instantly say no, thinking of stereotypical hippies (which I know isn't the case)

The biggest advantage for us to cloth diaper is the cost savings. We're broke. Broke broke broke broke broke. Got it? Yeah, broke. So spending a chunk on a stash to begin with would hurt, but would be worth it in the end. Plus we could start buying a couple here and there while I'm preggers.

The biggest pitfall... he doesn't have a washer/dryer at his place. I have one, but it is shared between three other roommates. So I'm not sure daily washing will be possible. He also lives out in the sticks, so driving to a laundromat would take at least 30 min one way for him.

Aside from tips for SO, I'd like your opinion on diapers. I'm looking at the Fuzzibuns elite one size. Thinking a begining stash of 20 might work if I can wash daily. But would like more if I could afford in case washings have to go on hold.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

February 22nd, 2013, 03:33 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
I broke it down for my DH, I told him about the chemicals in sposies, how much they effect the environment, the laws ( my main one was "that by law you should dump all fecal matter down the toilet, it can't go to the landfill") that I would save 3-4k in the long run, there not like his gma use to have, it's healthier for the bum. I printed off the info for back up and he read it, and after about a week he said lets do it.

You don't have to wash everyday, if you get a nice starter stash( usually 24 diapers) you are able to stretch it out to every other day. I know a lady who hands washes all of hers and then goes to the laundry mat once a week or so to make sure there super good and clean, it works for her a lot of work but she does it.

It your SO isnt completely on board you could try part time cloth. To give it a shot and let him test the waters. It's a good way to figure out if indeed it will work for your family.

I'm not a fb fan, but I do own a couple that we use on wash days. It honestly depends on the size and shape of your baby. I wouldn't invest in a complete one diaper stash, for the fact every baby and every diaper fits differently. I would grab a couple of many different brands a try them out. To save money you could buy used from sites like
Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com or the cloth diaper swap on Facebook. Some online shops also carry gently used items or seconds. If you truly want to save money you could always go with Prefolds/flats with a cover. It's one of the cheaper options and you could do 24 Prefolds and 5-7 covers and that would be a nice start. If your looking for a another option alva baby and sunbabies are pocket diapers and there cheap $5-7 a diaper, there a good option if you wanted a little less work over a Prefolds/flat with cover system.

Good luck mama!
Loving my 2 munchkins & awaiting #3
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 24th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
I think going part time would be a good start. As much as I hate to admit it, he simply won't care about the chemicals, enviornment, or laws about fecal matter. He lived in a very crunchy area of Portland when he grew up and hated it. I think that since he experienced it when he was young, certain things have been dramatized in his head? KWIM? Personally, I love that cloth is better for baby, enviornment, and all that jazz.

Thanks for the advice on buying a couple of different kinds. Totally makes sense.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

February 25th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would keep pushing the savings angle. We don't have much spending cash so investing in cloth diapers was a bit rough. However, we also went the cheapest route. We purchased a bunch of prefolds and some covers.

Cloth Diapers, Diaper Covers, Wipes. The ClothDiaper.Com Webstore.

has an excellent package deal going on now for prefolds and covers. I would recommend you buy the better fit prefolds, though. Our prefolds fit in the cover but have extra bulk so I've begun trimming them down. But it's extra work that you can avoid.

cottonbabies.com also has cheaper prefolds that work very well.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 25th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Prefolds are the cheapest way to go. I have done shared laundry and I recommend having more rather than less so you don't have to wash every day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search