Osocozy Prefolds too bulky

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I put my son in an osocozy premium sized prefold with a Thirsties size 2 duo wrap (can wipe inside, no pocket). We trifolded it and placed it in the cover but it was too long to fit flat in the cover (we washed it about 4-5 times before trying this ). So, we folded the front edge down. This created a HUGE bulge in the front. It was so big we couldn't fasten his pants at all.

I'm concerned about this excess material not only because it makes all his pants too small now (and I just bought several pairs!) but also won't this make his car seat harness not fit as tight? I mean, the extra material is compressible and it will press right up against the crotch belt (an area that gets tightened to get a snug fit).

I've looked at doing the prefold in an angel wing thing but it still have the same number of layers right there in the front so I don't see how that could possible reduce the bulk. Am I missing something here? Or do I need to trim the excess and sew it up?

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, this is an issue with "traditional size" prefolds and a big reason the sized ones are more popular. The prefolds I trifold in M's size 2 Thirsties covers are GMD Medium (red edge), 15-16" long and fit perfectly at the unsnapped rise setting, they are designed to fit in most medium or large covers. I think they are like 3-4" shorter than most premiums. If you want to hide the extra bulk you can try folding, it helps pull some of the length out, but it sounds like you are doing a lot of foldover so that might not work. Probably the best option is to trim them like you mentioned. If you have a serger that is ideal. You want to make sure they are very very soundly sewn up and durable.

Most people do need to size up on pants to cover a fluffy cloth butt... though if you trim the prefolds it should help the pants fit.

I would not worry about the car seat. The cotton diaper material is really not compressible. It is not like the puffy winter coats or anything. Just adjust the straps to fit in whatever outfit and diaper he is in, like you normally would. As long as it is all well adjusted so the chest/shoulder straps are nice and tight and the chest clip is up high, he is not going anywhere

February 24th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, thank you I do not have a serger but I was thinking that I could sew two double straight seams (going forward and reverse at each line) and then do a tight zig zag stitch between them might do the trick to keep all the fluff in. I'll experiment with them this week.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search