too late to cloth diaper?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By MamaLemonade

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Super Mommy
quick background on me...i have a 14 month old son..used disposables since day 1. wanted to cloth but we live in an apartment and don't have our own washer/dryer..main reason i do not cloth diaper. however...as we near the age of potty training (probably won't start until he's at least 18 months if not 2...but i am pregnant w/ #2 so the sooner the better!)

so here's where i need some input..when he is potty training/trained...is it worth using cloth during that time? my thinking is when he's able to poop in the potty, using cloth won't be as difficult for me..i can keep up with the laundry more. i hope that made sense lol. sorry i am new to this whole cloth diaper thing since i just never thought it was in the cards for us. thanks in advance for any help/advice!
February 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM
helios's Avatar Veteran
It is definitely not too late! Once your son is done with cloth you can use them with #2; you will still get a lot of use out of them.

You can also look into getting cloth trainers for your son. I haven't used them myself before though, so maybe others can chime in.
February 27th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Super Mommy
thank you! that is true, i can always use them with number 2. i definitely have some research to do but i will go look up cloth trainers right now!
February 27th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also think it's never too late and as far as PLing, many moms think that using cloth diapers (esp plain cotton ones) helps a lot, because the sposies can absorb pee so fast that the baby does not even feel wetness from it and gets no physical feedback that he just peed. Whereas in cotton cloth diapers, they feel wet so he knows that he just peed. That can help a lot both in aiding awareness of body functions and motivating him to use the potty instead!

I don't know much about cloth trainers, we are planning to go straight to underwear when it's time to get serious about using the potty every time. I know some types of all-in-one cloth diapers are supposed to work well as trainers too, like the sized Simplex that snap on the sides and have stretchy sides so you can make them a little loose and they pull up and down well. Or you can do something like Sandys fitteds (also side snap and easy to pull up and down when the waist is a bit loose), with Bummis or Dappi nylon pull on covers for going out.

Hope that helps and have fun researching!
KellBell2621 likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
It's never too late

I really liked fitteds when it came to PLing, they have the sensation of being wet without the mess of soaking through the clothes or whatever.

Good luck mama
KellBell2621 likes this.
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Super Mommy
thanks so much ladies i can see why people get so excited about cloth now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search