NEW!!!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran
Hi So I am new here. I am going to cloth diaper with the baby I am due to have in July. I am so glad I found this. Anyway I am sure some one my questions have been asked about 100 time but would appreciate any help (none of my friends or anybody I know cloth diapers)

1. Right now I have 16 cloth work horse diapers and 4 covers, how much more do I need for a reasonable stash?

2. Where do you buy and what brands do you like? I am having a boy

Thanks!
March 14th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For a newborn it is usually recommended to have about 36 diapers so that you only wash every 2-3 days. For covers I would recommend 6 total. My toddler has 4 right now but a good day of hard pooing/peeing and that can seriously upset the delicate balance, lol. We just bought 2 more covers for him to give us a bit of buffer and to grant a longer life to our whole supply.

I bought the majority of my stash in a http://www.clothdiaper.com Thirsties package. I purchased my new Thirsties covers from Diaper Junction (currently holding a sale for them). I also have 2 Rump Arounds pocket diapers and a smattering of random pocket diapers I picked up used (mostly just to play around with and see what I liked or didn't like).

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 14th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
1. Right now I have 16 cloth work horse diapers and 4 covers, how much more do I need for a reasonable stash?

I would say at least another dozen diapers (12-18 prefolds or fitteds) and maybe a few more covers, esp if you are using prefolds. Fitteds are good at holding in newborn poo and pretty foolproof... prefolds take more practice and you need a snappi or pins to fasten them, but they are cheap and with a little practice work as well as fitteds at keeping poop off the cover. Or you can lay them in without fastening, which is easy, but you need more covers

2. Where do you buy and what brands do you like? I am having a boy

I mainly buy at greenmountaindiapers.com (for big orders and my prefolds - they are not the cheapest but the quality is awesome), Nicki's Diapers, and Mom's Milk Boutique. I have experimented a lot but my long term favorite are my GMD prefolds and Flip covers.

March 15th, 2013, 09:10 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on your little boy!

for staples, I like bamboo prefolds and flats. fitteds can be nice, too. depends on your preference. I've never been big into usual prefolds, as I don't get enough "cross over" in the fit and there's no stretch, but tons of people love them

For diapers, I say it depends how often you want to wash. 24 diapers is fine for washing every 1-2 days, and 36 for every 2-3 days.

For covers, I'd say at least 6.
March 15th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran
Thank you, I think I will order some prefolds, can I use small prefold for a newborn instead of new born?
March 15th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygirl95648 View Post
Thank you, I think I will order some prefolds, can I use small prefold for a newborn instead of new born?
You can always fold down the small size, but it will be bulky. I think the Imagine smalls are smaller than the GMD smalls so that might be a good one to use from the beginning. I had a bigger baby, 8.5 lbs at birth and grew very quickly and became a chart-topper, she was in GMD newborn for 5-6 weeks and then smalls another 5-6 weeks after that. I don't regret having newborn size because they fit so well at the time. If you are not expecting a large baby, average or smaller size, then newborn size is definitely worth it!

March 15th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For myself I would not order a newborn size. My son's NB weight was 9lb 14oz and 22 1/2 inches. Buying newborn anything turned out to be a total waste of money (thankfully we had very little). This baby is expected to be about the same size.

I have seen many postings by moms who preferred to buy the small size over the NB because the benefits in cost and convenience outweighed the extra bulk issue. You can always mix, too. Buy 12-18 NB and 12-18 small.
countrygirl95648 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

March 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran
So my girls were both 8lb at birth, literally there was 1 oz difference in weight. I Think it is time to buy smalls then!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search