CDing newborn Twins?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Twin Mama
Hello ladies, I'm new to this board I'm expecting twins (B/G) in July and am wondering what your thoughts are on CDing newborn twins? We have to CD for the $ savings and I am a little stuck on deciding to start CD from the beginning or to wait until they heft up a bit.

Twins are sometimes born very early, I doubt highly they will be 6+lbs at birth, possible but unlikely. Is it worth the $ to get 2x the newborn CD set up or would you focus on 8+lb as a point to jump into CD? I don't mind using sposies early on (I'm sure we will get them as gifts), I just don't want to buy a bunch of newborn or premie CD stuff and end up with giant babies who use them for a month and then grow out of them. I know I can re-use the prefolds for burp rags or whatever but the covers, idk...

BTW: My plan for a newborn setup is prefolds & covers since that seems like (from my research) the easiest way when they are tiny. Then I am planning to buy 4ish each of different types of CD's (some pockets, some AIO's, different brands) to see what I find works best, but I'm 100% sure I want to do one size for those.

March 23rd, 2013, 12:24 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
A good singleton NB stash would be 24 or so diapers, for twins it would be more like 36+. Prefolds and covers would be your cheapest an possiably best option for the twins.
Remember Prefolds can have multiple purposes: diaper, inserts, burp cloths, etc..

Honestly at even 8+ pounds you may have issues getting OS to fit. The typically don't fit well till roughly 10/12lbs. I know blueberry makes a mini deluxe they fit from 5-15lbs there a a good option for NB & in between NB & Os stage, another good option for that stage is thirsties duo AIO size 1 they fit from 6-18 lbs and actually ramparooz (RAR) they have a 4 rise setting and go small enough for a 6/7 lb baby and take you all the way till 35lbs. But there a bit bulky early on
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

March 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I never used my infant prefolds for diapers. They are the perfect size for burp cloths! Very thirsty! Some of my babies have been big spitter uppers!

I have always used infant fitted diapers. Only my huge son didn't get much use from them. He grew through a clothing size every 3 weeks. Not the norm. My last baby was two weeks early and weighed 6 lbs 8 oz. He got a few months out of newborn diapers. They would have fit a smaller baby too. For twins I would think you would get a lot of use out of newborn sizes! CD have good resale value. You might consider buying used for the shorter used newborn phase or try making your own!

April 2nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My younger son was 6 11 at birth and wore NBs for 4 months. He didn't fit well in OS diapers until about 12lbs.

For twins, I'd be twice as likely to use cloth from the beginning for a few reasons. 1. I think its easier to just start with cloth than plan to switch later. There's always one more pack to buy before switching. 2. Smaller babies will be in NB diapers longer. 3. Double the savings!

April 12th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Twin Mama
I know this thread kind of died but I did end up buying some covers, we're going to CD from the time they get home.

I bought 2 thristies duo wraps, 2 rumparoos newborn covers, 2 bummis newborn super brite wrap and 2 bumkins one size covers (they were on sale). I still need to buy my GMD prefolds and snapis, I'm considering 3dz prefolds and 6 workhorse NB size fitteds. But Im not sure about the fitteds.

I know I will need a lot more than this, but I'm scared to buy much more without knowing how big these kids are gonna be when they come out. Is that crazy? How often do you think I'll have to wash with that I got?

April 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We just found out we are having twins too! My first thought is I need more diapers. Its hard to tell as babies all have different needs. Some need 12 changes a day. Others only 8? You need to factor in the wash/dry time where you will be messing up more. I have plenty of time if I start washing when I was down to three diapers. So 5-6 with twins? So that leaves you with 2 1/2 dozen in the wash. If they go through a dozen each, then you have a little over a days worth. Up to a day and a half to two days worth. I'm going with a little over a day as my babies pooped every 2 hrs around the clock. They might not use as many the first week, but will pick up in diaper use as they feed more.

I've never used prefolds for actual diapers, so I'm not sure if the amount of covers is enough. Prefolds don't have the extra layer of elastic around the leg that fitted diapers have. Its rare for a cover to get messy for me, so it was overkill to have 6 for one kid. If you are washing so often it might be just fine.

I just counted and I have 32 infant fitted diapers. I washed every 2 1/2 days with my newborns. I think I'll want at least another 18 diapers. With a family of 8 I don't want to have too much extra laundry. That would make 50 diapers or two dozen each. I might get away with washing every other day. I can't imagine the expense of using disposables for twins! It would be like a car payment during the newborn stage!

April 13th, 2013, 06:53 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do a cheap preemie stash (prefolds and covers) and a cheap newborn stash (prefolds and covers and maybe some fitteds or aios if you want more variety) and then beyond that I would flat diapers with covers, which will go from the newborn/small stage through to potty learning, are cheapest, and clean easiest.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search