Planning to CD... but I have sposies coming out of my ears!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kiam
  • 1 Post By MerinSun

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Twin Mama
I am wondering if you ladies can give me some advice on what to use from gifts. I had my baby showers and got a lot of diaper stuff. I didn't register for any diaper stuff because I am planning to CD but people are kind and just trying to help. Also Target suspiciously added them to my registry even though I didn't.

100 count boxes Pampers size NB, 1, 2 and 3
100 count box BRU size NB & size 1 diapers
Organic diapers, IDK what size they are
A TON of baby wipes, pampers, costco, ect.
About 20 white prefolds, IDK what brand or size
6 Gerber cotton prefolds that have patterns on them, i think they are prefolds based on the center stitching.

Out of all that what should I use? I was planning to buy some GMD prefolds and a few workhorse fitteds to CD my newborn twins soon. I have 4 NB covers and 4 more covers that start larger, I would be upset if i didn't get to use them. But, we plan to use sposies when we are at other peoples houses.

Should I keep all the sposies? A lot of them are unpackaged because they were used on my diaper cakes, should I just keep those and donate the boxed ones?

Should I prep these oddball white prefolds and gerber prefolds separately or with my GMD's when I buy and prep them? Is there a way to figure out what these unmarked white ones are?

What do you think of using regular baby wipes & CD-ing? I know it seems odd, I planned to use cloth wipes but with the amount of baby wipes I have I would feel awful to not use them. I would have a trash can for those & a pail for my CD's. Too convoluted?

May 18th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you think about it..with twins you will use apx 20-25 sposies a day so if im reading this right & you got 2 total boxes of nb, 2 of size 1's then really & a box of size 2's & 3's that is only 8-10 days worth of nb diapers & maybe 2 weeks of size 1. It's not that much.
Wipes are good for a lot...clean ups, in the care ect.
I would say keep the sposies & wipes or if you got more take the opened ones back get credit at the store for things you really need.

I would use the gerber for burp clothes I have heard they suck as cloth diapers.

When u prep prefolds prep unbleached & bleached separately doesn't matter the brand.

And use the sposie wipes til you are out then change to cloth. Won't you have a small trash anyways in the room?

May 18th, 2013, 09:45 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sliding in for a second to suggest that if you really don't want them, you could see if there is a donation point for a women's shelter in your area. They are often desperate for disposables and wipes (the packaged ones of course).

May 18th, 2013, 11:39 PM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Sliding in for a second to suggest that if you really don't want them, you could see if there is a donation point for a women's shelter in your area. They are often desperate for disposables and wipes (the packaged ones of course).
This. I work for a non profit and we always welcome donations of diapers.

May 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Grrr....typed up a response and lost it! Okay I'll try again.

Try to exchange what you can & use what you can't while away from home, at night(if you need to), etc. Donate the rest.

The wipes, same thing. I prefer my cloth wipes because it sucks to sort out the disposable wipes and the cloth are just nice and don't have harsh chemicals. Use what you can't exchange while away or for childcare and for cleaning cheesy necks and messes. Once opened they will dry out eventually so use them up.

As for Gerber, exchange if you can or use for burp cloths as they don't hold much and break down quickly. GMD makes great prefolds...very soft and thicker than Imagines so you get your moneys worth. I have both and GMDs are much better! I prefer Thirsties XS covers with aplix/velcro and you may need a few more for twins. After the initial stage I'd go with snaps for everything....they last longer, get a better fit & don't irritate babies that are mobile.

As for prepping, I prep all natural fibers together whether bleached or not. One wash with detergent, 5-8 cycles on hot w/o detergent drying fully between each wash until absorbent and properly shrunk. No full prepping needed for microfiber...only natural fibers(cotton, bamboo, hemp). Microfiber just needs regular washing & drying. I prefer natural fibers for many reasons and I'm not crunchy lol

Congrats on your babies!!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

May 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Unless you are really short on space, I'd hang onto them and donate them as your babies grow out of each size.

Also, I use regular wipes with my cloth diapers. I tried the cloth wipes thing, but DD2 wound up getting irritation when I used various wipe solutions (including regular water!).
May 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would exchange what you can and keep the rest. If you end up having extras later on down the road you can always donate to a friend or charity, but I doubt you will end up with any as babies use a lot, especially when you have two of them

Gerber - use them as burp cloths ONLY.

I would get 4 dozen gmd prefolds and a bunch of baby monkeys covers (super cheap @ $5 a pop and they supposedly work great). Get 3 dozen newborn and 1 dozen small. You can use the small for nighttime since they will be a little bulkier. If you can afford 4 dozen all in newborn, then I would get that. Covers should be in newborn size as well.

This will last you the first 2-3 months (maybe 4 if your twins are on the smaller side) and then you can sell them and get more prefolds (probably only need 3 dozen at that point). This is if you want to do it cheaply.

You could also do a newborn rental program where you rent the diapers for like 12 weeks.

The link for GMD is Green Mountain Diapers and the link for baby monkey covers is PUL Diaper Covers- Double Rainbows :: Baby Monkeys Online Shop.

I only have one babe and went way overboard on my NB stash, so if I were you, I would stay away from AIOs, especially since you plan on using sposies when out.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
May 23rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Twin Mama
thank you for all the input ladies. i talked to DH and he returned a couple boxes of BRU sposies. we still have a large box of pampers size 2 and size 3 unopened, the size 1 box was opened. i think we will keep them for now since i really dont know how things will pan out, might need to sposie at night who knows.

i did order my cloth finally, funny thing is i did what you suggested workerbeemama before i read this. i got GMD 3dz NB prefolds, 1dz small, 2 nb workhorse fitted no closure, and 4 snapis. i hope that will tide us over for a couple months. now to wrestle down a diaper detergent choice, almost none are avail in my stores.

thanks for the suggestion on covers, i am starting to think my 2 NB and 2 6-8lb+ covers may not last long while i figure out folding methods on our babies. DH and I anticipate leaks and blow outs. i'll look into geting a couple more. i love the thirsty duo size 1's i got and once im able to use them they seem like a good choice for covers. but who knows how my babies will be shaped.

May 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Because of the double gussets on the Thirsties duo covers I can see it fitting pretty much any sized baby. Depending on whether he is going through a growth spurt or not my son's legs can be chunky monkey or lean, the covers fit him just fine either way.
Gripstress likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

May 25th, 2013, 02:42 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I anticipated many blow-outs and leaks and have had one leak of poo(recently) and a few times pee leakage. MUCH better than my sposie record with previous babies. The other moms I know who use cloth have a very similar experience as do those in sposies lol The disposable users are the ones having the mega blowouts. Funny my definition of a blowout now is when poo gets on the cover I think you have a great amount of covers and if you run short, wash one in the sink and dry it or hang it up for backup. Thirsties XS are my favorite for newborn but the duos size 1 fit well also. Your stash sounds wonderful!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search