Washing question

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Gavyns mommy's Avatar Veteran
Hello mamas!

I have a few questions about washing. I plan to use Tide original powder to wash my cloth diapers in. I will soon be needing to get ready for baby due in October. I have new and used diapers. I know the new need to be prepped and the used need to be stripped. How exactly do I prep the new and strip the old? My news ones are both pockets with inserts, brands Charlie Banana and Bumgenius. The used are all different brands but random from covers, prefolds, pockets, and fitted.

TIA!

THANK YOU JAIDYNSMUM FOR THE SIGGY!
June 30th, 2013, 10:34 PM
BlessedMommyx's Avatar Stephanie
I think any detergent is fine really. I use Dreft liquid and never had any problems.

As for stripping and stuff I hope someone can answer that for you. No idea what that is lol. Only been using cloth on my LO for about 3 months now. We use pocket diapers and I just take the inserts out and throw the diapers and inserts in the wash to clean them.

June 30th, 2013, 10:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What type of water do you have? The basics of striping is to get detergent build up out of the diapers. There are various ways to do this. You can wash them in hot water and keep washing until the water doesn't show soap bubbles on the surface. There are various things that you can add to speed up the process like vinegar or soft water powder.

I've heard that the top rack of your dishwasher works great. You have to make sure there isn't any rinse aid type stuff, but the dishwasher gives lots of hot water!

Tide works great on diapers. Just use a tiny amount and they come out clean!

I usually wash new diapers twice. I make them and usually wash the fabric first. I've never had problems with them working.

Last edited by LABs; June 30th, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
July 1st, 2013, 08:12 AM
Gavyns mommy's Avatar Veteran
Hard water. I was just told I need to strip them due to being used prior to me. I don't want to add anything until I know I need to so I will just wash the used ones with hot water to make sure their isn't any soap bubbles.

As far the the new, I know many people have different washing routines. Personally, how do you wash new diapers? Is it the same as washing regular diapers that you have already used?

THANK YOU JAIDYNSMUM FOR THE SIGGY!
July 1st, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just wash them with a tiny amount of detergent and water softener powder a few times. I might dry them in between washes if there is any PUL to seal up holes. You can test the absorbency at that point.

July 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Get some RLR from like momsmilkboutique.com for stripping. You start with clean diapers, then do a hot wash with RLR, and rinse rinse rinse til there are no bubbles.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 8th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know there is a lot of debate about this, but I use bleach when I buy used diapers. I have used it on BumGenius (elementals & freetimes), GroVia (the hybrid inserts - organic cotton and the cotton/hemp/fleece ones), and prefolds. I think Cottonbabies recommends 1/4 cup in a full load (meaning the washer is full of water, not that you necessarily have to fill the washer with diapers), then follow up with 1-2 cold rinses.

I DO NOT use bleach on my Flip and GroVia covers, though.

I have a friend who isn't into the whole chlorine bleach thing, and she soaks used diapers in vinegar for awhile before using them. Not sure what the exact recommendations are, but I bet it's out there on the internet somewhere .

Oh, and with new diapers, I just wash with detergent however many times is recommended by the manufacturer (usually once for synthetic fibers, and 3-6 times for natural fibers depending on the type of diaper).
July 8th, 2013, 02:54 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you use bleach just be sure to rinse enough. I didnt once and it left my son with a horrible rash.
Ive stripped by soaking in a bucket of bleach and oxy and then rinsed the heck out of them and it was fine!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search