Stupid question..Might be gross

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 09:23 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
So I have a dumb question.
I am going to TRY cding and I have been getting a TON of backlash.
One question was that the poop would back up my washer.
Which I said I would rinse most of it off anyways and you probably wash grosser things in the washer anyways.
So I guess my question is do you wash it ALL off in the toilet? Or just whatever you can get off?
Sorry if it's dumb but I have NO one here who does this When I get back to my other town there are Cd stores, but here I'm alone.
July 11th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use a diaper sprayer. They are sometimes sold as "personal bidets" or you can make one yourself from parts, it is basically a kitchen sprayer on a long flexible hose that connects to the toilet's water input. So I really spray off ALL the poop. I have also used a dedicated poo spatula (poopula?) in the past and really scraped and repeatedly flushed in the toilet bowl until it was pretty well rinsed. Then a spray of Bac Out before wringing out. My DD had really yucky peanut buttery poops for a long time so it took some work! But many kids have well formed poops that plop off and just leave a skid mark. You don't need to worry about that.

Also, exclusively breastfed babies have completely water-soluble poop, nothing to get stuck in your washer, it all washes out so that's easy!!

I have a high efficiency front-loader washer, which is not the greatest for providing a lot of agitation or water, and we also keep an open-top wet bag out in my daughter's room for her dirty diapers, so my routine is also designed to work with that. We have zero pail odor and no stains, the diapers get very clean, and NO there is no poop in my washer

July 11th, 2013, 04:49 PM
BlessedMommyx's Avatar Stephanie
I dont have a diaper sprayer.. but I bought those good rubber gloves at target and put those on and if the poop is mucky I put it in the toilet and just rub the poop off as best I can.. occasionally I will use the kitchen sink with the hot hot water and rinse it down (of course disinfect the sink after use.) At 12 months though 'most' of the time I am able to just wiggle the poop off the diaper into the toilet and flush and the rest of it goes into the washer.
I started clothing when mine was around 9 months old due to her developing an allergic reaction. So I haven't dealt with newborn cloth Diapering.
Cloth diapering is awesome! And if I have another one will CD from the start! It's obviously a bit more work than just throwing it away but so worth it for my babys bottom.

July 11th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For a little one I throw it in the washer. For an older baby I shake. I use suede cloth for the inside of my diapers. It rolls right off. Any little left goes into the washer. I don't put my hand in a toilet or touch poop! Diapers come out nice and clean! If you want to, you can buy flushable liners for toddler poop until it gets more solid. I delay solids because I can't be bothered with baby food or semi solid poop.

July 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use a dish scrubber in the toilet, then rinse the rest in the washroom sink, then spray oxiclean if there are any spots left. I also just started using flushable liners (which I don't flush), which help with the icky-poo stage.

I used disposables with my first daughter, and we washed lots of poo because of BLOWOUTS, plus she had a lot of #2 accidents during potty training, so... Lots of poo in the washer!

If you are really concerned about it, there are lots of products designed to clean out residual crud in the washer that you could look into :-)
July 12th, 2013, 08:08 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
It certainly not a stupid question. I get it often. And not knowing the routines, I can see not really knowing how that works.

We use a sprayer and get off 90% of the solids in our food-eating kids. My newborn, who is 100% breastfed, we don't have to worry about it. But in doing cloth for 3.5 years, we haven't had a single problem with our washer. So I am guessing the spraying is working just fine
July 13th, 2013, 04:57 PM
EricaLee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use a diaper sprayer and I spray off 99% of whats there before it goes to the washer

Big time thanks to jmmysterymaker for my WONDERFUL siggie!

July 14th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DIAPER SPRAYER! lol

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

July 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are planning on using a diaper sprayer. We also bought disposable liners for the meconium and also for when baby has gross poop. Not sure if we will end up using them or not, but we have them if we do.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 30th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never used a diaper sprayer and have had 0 problems with my washer. With a tiny baby not on solids (especially if you are bfing) you don't need to worry about getting the poop off the diaper before washing. With an older baby I've always been able to shake/wiggle the poop off before washing!
July 30th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran
They also have bio degradable diaper liners for the cloth diapers. During the breast feeding days they poop is not an issue with the wash machine.
August 11th, 2013, 08:21 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
the way I see it, newborn breastfed poop that you can just throw in the washer is water soluble, so it will wash right off... If you use disposables, you get poo explosions all over their clothes all the time and you gotta wash that, no matter if its bm or formula. So which is better in your opinion? lol when I switched to solids, I just dumped most of it off into the toilet and used a sprayer for the big sticky stuff... No issues and I'm on my second child CDed from birth...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search