Hi Ladies... :)

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2013, 06:07 AM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi!
I'm Susan, I'm 17.5 weeks pregnant, and my hubby is super pushing cloth diapering. I'm totally for it, but soo overwhelmed by all that is out there!!

He used the covers, with an inside regular cloth diaper and a disposable liner in them. This was 13 years ago when his son was born lol (this would be my step son, I have two, but we used disposables)

I'm really looking forward to reading through all the info you have here!!

Any suggestions for starters to buy for a newbie?

Nice to meet you all!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
September 18th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
CD has come a long way since his first. My oldest is nearly 12 and I CD her and the rest of them. Now you can do the system he used which is basic and cheap or you can go a little more modern with fitted diapers and covers or AIOs that go on just like a disposable. I usually save those for the diaper bag until my last few babies where I've used them exclusively. The cover, absorbent center and a stay dry liner are built into one diaper. They have the bonus of being super cute! Cute diapers make me happy! You can get cute covers as well to go over prefolds or fitted diapers. My DH loves using CD too! I think that the most important thing is having enough diapers for a good rotation so its convenient. I couldn't afford many with my first two and I made them! I made a lot for my third and have more than doubled my stash this time for twins! I might have made too many! I just want to be successful with twins and keeping up with the other four!

September 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy

Let me ask you about your washing situation. Do you have hard water (get buildup on your sinks and faucets, etc)? Do you have a regular top loading washer, or an HE? Front loader or top loader? Does the water get really hot and do you ever have trouble getting very dirty clothing clean? (I imagine with 2 older boys you have some very dirty clothing at times )

The #1 reason I see moms quitting cloth is because they have trouble getting them clean. The more old-fashioned types of diapers (the primitive one-layer "flats" and the prefolds, that have no elastic, velcro, snaps, waterproofing, etc) are by far the easiest to wash, and the most durable.

If you don't have hard water and have a good washer (like an old inefficient top loader), you can easily get away with the fancier, easier diapers. But if you have hard water and an HE washer, you might want to consider sticking to prefolds.

Hope that helps my favorite site for getting started is Green Mountain Diapers
greenmountaindiapers.com

Have fun researching!!!!
ashj_1218 likes this.

September 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Welcome!! This board is a little slower than normal, but there are still folks around to help you through your questions.

I think owing around green mountain is a great start point. It gives a nice overview of different styles and you can decide which will work best for your situation.

If you have specific questions after learning a little about the styles (and figuring out your laundry options), pop back and ask away

I was the cloth pusher in my house, but DH now loves it! He tells everyone about it and is so proud of his kids fluffy buns. It's actually really easy once you get into it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search