Bummis Diaper Covers

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2013, 01:12 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been cloth diapering since Haven was born - he is 10 months old now. I always get my prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers and my covers from ebay second hand. I generally use Bummis Super Whisper and Bummis Super Brite. I am currently using the Medium size covers for the Medium size GMD prefolds. I am looking to collect the next size up (large) so that I am ready for when he might grow into it (no idea when as he has only just got into this size). I have been looking on ebay for a few weeks now and I have not seen ANY second hard Large Bummis covers! I was wondering if anyone here knew why? I wonder if it is because kids usually potty train before they getting into the large size? Or that they get so dirty they can't be sold as second hand? Any ideas ladies?

For you ladies who use prefolds - what covers have you used when your child grows out of medium??

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
September 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We never sized up to large prefolds, just trifold the mediums and you may make it to PLing! As for large covers, I think it is because many babies PL out of medium, and the ones that don't (that size up to large before they reach the mobility slim-down) stay in Large for a long time and the covers are trashed by the time they are done We started using Flips when M got to that size (and unsnapped Flips work GREAT with trifolded GMD red edge btw) and are still using them over 18 months later, they are all going to be used up when she is done. The prefolds will be handed down but virtually none of her current covers!!

September 30th, 2013, 08:08 AM
What is it you like about flips over Bummis? Or did you just have some around so used the ones you had. If you were in my situation what would you do? Just wait to see if he out grows the M Bummis? Or buy some large just in case?
When you say trifold the mediums..... what do you mean? (I think I always tri fold them?!?!)

I have a hard time at night time so i have to put two red edge GMD's in his cover..... but I worry that in a few months the amount of pee will increase - is this the case? Or does it decrease?
I appreciate your response.

September 30th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I like the Flips more than Bummis for trifolding (that's when you just fold it into a long pad by folding the sides in, so it's in thirds). Flips have stretchy tabs and flaps at the front and back that all help hold it in place and get a nice fit so it doesn't flop down and give "banana crotch" I do like Bummis a lot too though, and the front flap inside is also good for holding a trifolded prefold in place, they work when baby is growing out of the size so the fit becomes tight enough to hold it in place. It becomes a big deal when they are walking, the banana crotch can be a problem. But depending on the fit and your baby, the Bummis covers could work great.

I would buy maybe 6 large prefolds and 1-2 large covers, and use then for nighttime right now (with a smaller prefold as a doubler), that way you will have them to know for sure it is the right size when time to size up. But see how long you can go in mediums. It is normal for kids to plateau or even slim down a bit in the bottom when they start walking well, and you may not be sizing up for a long time. My pediatrician once said "they have to slow down, otherwise they'd be the size of a battleship by age 5"

They can go through phases of peeing A LOT at night. I got so tired of trying expensive things to keep DD in cloth at night and now she just wears sposies at night. The night diapers are also some of the hardest to get clean as they get older and their pee turns into ammonia much faster. Happens when the are eating mostly solids and their digestive tract becomes more adult-like and their poop gets yucky.

September 30th, 2013, 12:53 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your opinion!!

I really want to be one of those people who are successful in keeping their LO in cloth at night (who doesn't?)..... so I will also try as hard as possible. I hate disposables so much!!

I have never tri-folded my diapers like that..... I trifold them at the front but then pull them our around the back, so the prefold is covering all of his skin. It works really well for us so far and even if I forget to change him the pee just soaks up all around (so all he cloth is used).

Yes, my baby isn't eating mainly solid foods or walking yet so I am going to have A LOT to learn, I know that! Thanks again!

September 30th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No problem everything depends on the baby and your unique situation so you just never know. And things do change a lot over time so it's worth having some forewarning. I remember posting on here in despair because my DD had outgrow even some Large and OS size stuff and was only 7-8ish months old and I was like "she's never going to fit in anything!!!" and the BTDT moms said "don't worry, she'll stop outgrowing diapers real soon when she gets more mobile" and lo and behold, she did. I hope nighttime cloth does work out for you, it does for plenty of people, just didn't for us in the end, I didn't give up until she was almost 2 and I was pregnant and needed to streamline my life And of course my 3 month old is in cloth 24/7, he's still getting changed at night! I figure he'll be in cloth at night as long as I can make it work with our regular stash. But no more buying special $30 WAHM fitteds or $40 wool soakers and all that.

Trifolding in the method I describe (and I do fan out a bit in the back when I want to be fancy hehe) is mainly so that you can have it all set up in the cover and then just slap it on real quick. We do all aplix too. I literally grab my running around naked daughter, bounce her down on the pre-arranged diaper on the couch or a bed, slap it on quickly (and hopefully manage to get some pants on too, but often that's round 2) and then she runs away lol. And plus, it stretches the size range. There is no way I could wrap these red edge mediums all around her body for fastening, and the length would not be long enough for that either, but it works when trifolding.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search