wanting to start fresh... literally

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2013, 12:20 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
it's been 1.5 years since I've used cloth diapers, when I did I had barnyard/ammonia stinkies, I tried everything I could. I used RNG then country save then tide, stripped etc. we had a front loader which used almost no water.

we got a new washer and I want to wash the diapers and get them fresh again, before I start getting new diapers in the mail and get confused as to what is fresh and what isn't so fresh.

let me know how my process is.
I put them in the washer with a tsp-ish of dawn and a little bleach. did a 30 minute hot soak and then did a heavy duty hot wash with an extra rinse. I will keep checking if there are suds and keep doing rinses. is that enough dawn (HE washer)

does this sound ok? any other ideas? I won't really know if it fixes everything because I don't have a baby to pee in them yet. they have always smelled fresh coming out of the wash.

6/15/13
September 28th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would not use dawn in an HE washer. It will suds too much and can damage your washer. If you really want to use dawn, I would stomp wash in the bathtub and rinse them there really well first, then wash.

My method for deep sanitizing is do a water-heavy wash cycle (Delicate on my HE FLer) with the full amount of bleach (fill up the bleach drawer), then throw in a bunch of oxygen bleach powder for a Sanitize (extra hot) cycle, and extra rinse with vinegar. I use a normal load amount of detergent in the first cycle and about 1/2 that on the second cycle. I do this on like mildewy shower curtains, my diapers rarely if ever need it.

If you really don't want to use bleach, you can always boil. You can use a dab of dawn in the boil too. Lots of options. Of course boiling is only for inserts and prefolds and nothing with elastic, snaps, or PUL.

September 30th, 2013, 08:13 AM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only ever use Charlies Soap on my cloth diapers - I would never use bleach!! I wash them cold most of the time, but if I want to sanitize I wash them super hot. It's as simple as that. They always come out clean and fresh. I never use anything but Charlies soap in my washing machine. Also more water is they key, not less..... so put the load on large, even if it is small. My baby is ten months old now and I have been using only cloth for him.

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search