Yet another washing question.

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been CDing for 18 months with absolutely no problems up until last month. My awesome yet ancient washing machine died and we got a new one. With a really low budget and diapers piling up I needed a machine fast and we took the one that could be delivered the next day... a top loading high efficiency one.

Two months later, my little man developed a rash that will not go away. One diaper change there was no sign of a rash and the next his bum was red and had open sores. We saw the doctor and he suggested that it was a yeast infection but no medications have been able to clear it up. He is in disposables now and it seems to be going away but I don't want to switch to them permanently. It is definitely the diapers that is causing it and specifically the washing machine. I have tried stripping the diapers, and vinegar but it is not helping. I have a few ancient diapers (20+ years old) given to me by relatives that I was able to boil and they seem ok (I can't know for sure until this rash goes away) but I can't do that with my Fuzzibuns and others like them.

Is bleach ok to use with Fuzzibunz? Will it ruin the PUL or the colours? And does anyone have any other suggestions for stripping the diapers without using my useless washing machine?
October 31st, 2013, 09:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aw, man! What a bummer! Fuzzibunz are by CottonBabies, right?? They advocate bleaching once each month as part of the usual wash routine, but I don't know how much you would use in an HE washer...

I hope you find a solution!!!
November 14th, 2013, 05:19 PM
Super Mommy
We just moved into a new house with a top load HE washer and started having a problem with stinky diaps after washing. I ended up doing a quick wash with just detergent and a regular/full wash with detergent and 1/2 cup of bleach (which is down to 1/4 c/wash as I'm trying to reduce).

I know your problem isn't smell but wanted you to know the bleach hasn't affected the use or color of our BG pockets.
December 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you ladies!

I finally broke down and soaked all of my diapers in a sink full of bleach. I probably used a full cup of bleach to a sink full of water and ran them through the rinse cycle 4 or 5 times before drying them. Now I've been adding about a 1/2 cup of bleach to each wash load and the rash has not come back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search