Newborn stash

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2013, 12:31 PM
smsturner's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all.
I am trying to get a newborn stash together for February when my new little guy is here. I'm very excited to go with cloth this time. I haven't had a baby in 13 years, so most of this is stuff that wasn't even available back then!
I want to get a few different things, so we can decide what we like best. I carefully read through your nice big section on newborn diapering.
I really like how adorable the rumparooz lil joey's are, but I don't think I love the idea of AIO's. It seems like alot to buy 20 of them (around $300), and then to have to wash more often because I'm washing the whole bulky thing every single use. I really was going to buy them for the cute, not for thinking they are better, and while i really love cute things, I'm trying to be practical

I most love the idea of the pockets or covers over the prefolds or with the inserts. I really like the way the best bottoms seem to work and the way the inserts snap in, and so I'm definitely getting some of those.
I know that I need to keep an open mind, and that they fit differently on different babies, and it takes some experimenting to find what will work best for me. Cost really isn't the issue for me, I am more looking for environmentally friendly, and no chemicals on my baby's bottom.

So, right now, what I have on my list:
Best Bottoms one size- 3 Covers, 9 regular small inserts, 2 small doublers
2 Rumparooz One size covers
2 Thirsties wrap small covers
2 Bummi's Super Lite small covers
1 dozen gmd prefolds - nb size
5 gmd fitted nb size
5 Snappi's
2 dozen cloth wipes

Is this enough for me to get started and choose what I like best, or am I going to be doing laundry twice a day?
Any opinions on what I've chosen?
Anything else I should look at? Or brands?

I do know that he'll be out of nb quickly, and I'll need to do some more ordering in the first month, but I was hoping to know what I liked best before I order more. My babies tend to be small (6 - 6.5 pounds), so that should work right?

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26

Last edited by smsturner; December 11th, 2013 at 05:47 AM.
December 11th, 2013, 05:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, in my experience, you're going to be reaching for the prefolds and size 1 covers more than any of the OS. Newborns usually don't fit into OS stuff until 8-10lbs, and sometimes (depending on brand) not until 12lbs. I guarantee you that all your Best Bottoms covers will be gone in half a day (before even all the inserts are used) due to NB poo, lol. It's the legs. They're so skinny.

I would either get flats or more prefolds and fitteds, (24-36 total) and 2 more size 1 covers. And a TON more wipes, lol.

You can use flour sack towels from the grocery store as flats (really cheap) that's a popular item and you can cut up old t-shirts, soft cotton sheets, anything flannel, etc. for wipes. You won't have to spend much more money. For $12 I made 72 2 layer flannel wipes and that seems to work well for a 2-3 day rotation. I also used IKEA hand towels (white with the red strip at each edge, $.76) as my newborn flats.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 13th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Thank you. That is great, exactly the help I was looking for!

So, updated, what I have on my list:
3 Rumparooz NB size covers
3 Thirsties wrap small covers
2 Bummi's Super Lite small covers
2 dozen gmd prefolds - nb size
1 dozen gmd prefolds size small
5 Snappi's
4 dozen cloth wipes (but before I buy these, I'm going to search my salvation army donation bag and see what I can cut up. Do you have to do any hemming or sewing or anything? Or just cut?)

I still want to try the best bottoms, and the GMD prefitted, but I think I'm going to wait a month and order them in the small size instead of newborn so I can use them for longer and there are no leaks around the newborn chicken legs

Does that sound better? Thanks again!

I never knew until that moment how badly it could hurt to lose something you never really had. - Missed Miscarriage at 10 weeks - 3/26
December 13th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Super Mommy
I fully agree that prefolds and covers are the best best way to go for a newborn. I used a lot of flats and small size prefolds with my first baby. This time around (May) I'm doing basically what you have here--2 doz GMD prefolds.

But I also got a few of the workhorse fitteds in both newborn and small because from what I have read people LOVE them. Seems the no-snap version is more recommended for adjustibility. I'd keep those on your list! Strongly suspect they will become my favs.

Definitely wait before buying one size diapers to see how you feel about the cotton with covers. We used bum genius pockets starting around 4-5 months last time and we really loved them, but they haven't held up as well as I hoped. The elastics need replacing and by the time my son was 20 months or so I found it hard to stop the microfiber inserts from getting stinky. I'm keeping them but thinking I'll stay with prefolds and/or the GMD workhorse fitteds a lot longer this time. Cotton is so much easier to clean, and it holds up for lots of babies!
December 16th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Thank you! That's great advice.

December 30th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used nb Simplex and loved them. My guy was 8lbs 10oz at birth, but I know they work great on smaller babies. Around 6 weeks I started using Bumgenius 4.0 pockets. Great fit with the nb insert. I love that I can get these locally and on amazon. We are starting to use my Bumgenius AIOs now at 2.5 months. Little dude is over 15lbs though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search