Smell HELP!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By flitabout
  • 1 Post By ILoveStorm2011
  • 1 Post By ILoveStorm2011

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2014, 01:54 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
So we have a smell problem. I think it's ammonia or residue and I think it's because I have an HE top loader so there's not enough water. We've been washing all the diaper (2 AOIs, 5 covers, probably 10 inerts, and 6 prefolds) and I think there's not enough water.
I rinse/spin, wash on hot with 1.5 tbps of rockin green motley clean, and rinse/spin again. They just started to really smell recently and I tried doing a soak in 3 tbsps of soap like it said but it doesn't seem to work.
I'm trying a load now with half the diapers because I think that's the problem...anyone have any insights? My lo is starting to get a little red
February 4th, 2014, 01:09 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have an HE washer and I use tide but how I do mine and I never have any smell is I actually run my diaps 3 times. I for the waste on cold, Sanitizing load is hot water and soap and then run another full load on cold for a rinse.
Gripstress likes this.

February 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have heard about people adding a towel or two to the load to increase the amount of water, but I'm not sure if that works or not :-/. Good luck!
February 4th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Well I just washed them twice (full wash and dry) and switched to Allfree and clear I know people say they dont work and ruin diapers but I think it was my grovia and my rockin green not liking each other.
I'll probably try charlies maybe....or tide.
Gripstress likes this.
February 8th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been using All Free & Clear on my dipes for over a year, and they are fine, if that makes you feel better .
February 11th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
PLEASE switch to Tide! I have heard nothing but horror stories from RnG. I have been washing for over a year now with very little wear on my diapers. I wash on cold no detergent, wash on hot with full scoop of Tide, wash on hot no detergent to rinse. RnG is soap, not detergent and using it causes soap build-up and does not effectively clean the diapers anyway. And they say to use so little because otherwise it would be crazy expensive, which it is. Tide powder is cheap, effective, awesome. No stripping needed when you use ample amounts of detergents and do enough rinsing. First, get them clean. Second, rinse the detergent. You will be one happy camper!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

February 13th, 2014, 10:15 PM
I hear to use Tide Original but I can't find it I only see tide ultra is that the same?
Gripstress likes this.
February 14th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Yes I use any Tide powder as long as it has no fabric softener. Scents and blue crystals and all of that are fine
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

February 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as it's the powdered it's fine.

February 24th, 2014, 03:04 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Nellys at first and it was not the best. I am now using a combo of the honest company pods and meyers baby wash liquid soap. It's working okay so far.
Before that I was using honest company and baby oxy clean. It worked great too. I use pretty much only bum genius elementals and so for my diapers it has been fine and now smell.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search