Debating

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2014, 09:18 AM
1st time mom
I have a friend who is offering her cloth diapers to me. They are pocket diapers. She used them with her one child and is offering them for me to use with my next baby. That would be so helpful because it would save us a lot of money, and they are the exact diapers we plan on buying anyways. However, it seems weird to me to take used diapers. It seems no different to me than buying used underwear and I would never do that. So then why would I take used diapers for my baby. Thoughts and opinions anyone?

*i am not bashing anyone who uses hand me down diapers. I am simply considering it myself but am not sold on the idea. Just wanting opinions.
July 11th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL, I felt the same way until I had been using cloth for a little while. I think I just got used to being able to actually get them clean, if that makes sense. Poo is NOT a sanitary thing, regardless of whether it is yours or someone else's. I wouldn't want to put a dirty diaper back on my baby even if it was her own poo, right? It needs to get clean, and if I can get it clean enough for her to use diapers over and over again, then I can get used diapers clean enough.

I DO wash any used diapers with bleach (1/4 cup in a full load) before putting them on my kiddo, though. I had a friend who was not into the whole bleach thing, and she would soak used cloth diapers in vinegar for awhile (not sure what her exact procedure was, although I'm sure it's out there on the internet somewhere).

LOL, I hope that makes sense...
July 19th, 2014, 10:25 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I hadn't ever use cloth before I would feel the same way. But the way they are cleaned makes me feel totally different about it now that I have actually done it. Now that I have I would actually prefer used. They are cheaper and all broke in so the end up being more absorbent! Yes I would bleach them with a small amount of bleach before using them and starting your cleaning regime but otherwise I would go for it!

July 23rd, 2014, 09:59 PM
Veteran
Ditto the other ladies. When I was buying cloth while pregnant, the thought of getting used seemed rather icky. But after using cloth, fully realizing how dirty they get, and how clean they are after washing, then it wasn't an icky thought anymore.

September 4th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I guess I see it like I would not want to share undies with a grown person but babies don't freak me out. They are babies! I don't mind used as long as I trust that the previous user handled them correctly. I would not, for example, buy from someone who used homemade soap or Rockin Green because it's not actual detergent. I say go ahead and save that money!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search