Cloth Diaper Newbie

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Amanda and I'm pregnant with DS#2, he's due in early December. I wanted to do cloth diapers for DS#1 SO badly, but I ran out of time and didn't know anything at all hardly about cloth diapering.

I want to do it this time BADLY, but as I've said I know nothing! I'm really good at research, but no matter how much research I do I still feel the need to ask experienced people on the subject! So please ladies, hit me with all cloth diapering facts!

Where do I start? What all will I need? How many of each item? What are the best brands? What's the cheapest route to go since I'm on a budget? Best websites for tips and tricks and all things cloth diapering? Best websites for all things cloth diapering and buying, etc.? What all will I need supplies wise? HELP!

I'm a complete newbie and I want to learn as much as I can and get a plan together so I can try to turn my husband onto this route. Each time he has been iffy about it. He's just lazy and doesn't want to be washing diapers

Thanks in advance ladies!
August 10th, 2014, 11:21 AM
myfavoriteshoes's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Skype™ to myfavoriteshoes
Hey Amanda! Welcome aboard!I'm Sarah, mama to Samuel (5.5) and Elijah (21mo), and I've Cloth Diapered both since birth. My favorite easy combo is a Bummis Infant folded Prefold or the microfiber insert, inside a Flip cover. Flip seem to fit quite nicely on teeny tiny newborns and are OS (one size), so they go from NB to potty training. They even have a disposable liner option for when travelling

To start off, to build a NB stash, you will need at least 8-12 covers, and 30-36 diapers. They pee and poo a lot, and you will want to change every 2hrs max. And wash every 2-3days. I started off with 10 covers and 30 diapers and could stretch out to wash every 3days. Covers can be air dried and reused if it was just pee. Poopied covers will need to go in the pail with the diaper. So you don't need as many covers as diapers.

Last edited by myfavoriteshoes; August 10th, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
August 28th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi! CD has so much to offer it's overwhelming! My LO is 8m old. I think I've tried mostly everything now, lol. If you're on a budget- I want to suggest flat diapers instead of prefolds. You buy them one size and then fold them different ways to have them fit baby as she grows. (Lots of folding tutorials on you tube). They're inexpensive, versatile, wash SUPER easy, and dry in a flash. In a rut, you can hand wash them! As for cover- I didn't have much luck with PUL covers, so we use wool made from repurposed sweaters. Do you sew? You can find patterns online. For easy PUL covers, check out pull on covers. I don't recommend one size covers for a newborn. My fav place to buy diapers (recommended by a mom on here) is Green Mountain Diapers: Cloth diapers for baby featuring organic and reusable natural diapers. Cloth-eez prefolds, Bummis, Flip, and Thirsties diaper covers; plus how to wash cloth diapers and pictures of diapers on babies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search