Oh no!

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think my little guy might be sensitive to suede cloth. It seems that whenever I put him in it, his skin turns bright red! And our BG is the diaper he wears to the doctor--which certainly explains why he can be rash free when we leave for the doctor's office and have a rash when the doctor looks at him. He doesn't break out from fleece (we use a Mommy's Touch diaper at night and he always looks so nice and rash free in the morning). I have no idea why it's taken me so long to make this connection.

Now, what I'm wondering is if suedecloth holds onto stuff more (detergent, bacteria, whatever)? I know that when I've held the BG under the water spray from the washer that it often creates lots of suds. Could it be that suedecloth just holds onto stuff more, and it's buildup that is causing him to break out in rash? I don't want to have to sell my cubbie tester
October 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
a lot of babies are sensitive to it for some reason. I'm not sure if it's holding stuff or what, but I know I've seen it discussed on diaperswappers a few times.

that sucks
Courtney, Nola, Kya, Whitney, and baby girl #5 coming soon!
October 24th, 2007, 04:52 PM
moondrop's Avatar Member
my little guy is sensitive to it. though he's also sensitive to the microfleece. i have to use diapers with cotton inner against his skin.
swaddlebees has a diaper with cotton against skin and a stay dry layer right underneath...maybe not ideal but it's good. i offer diapers that have a cotton sherpa inner layer because of my little guys sensitivities. i'm actually working on offering a line with no synthetics at all (no microfiber, fleece, PUL, etc. ) i'm hoping eventually to offer the wool-in-two's for the naturalist in me.

cindy(41), wife to dave (44), mom to deidre (21), alex (19), and logan (18m)
stepmom to Ben(22), Jessica(21), Caleb (20), kristen (18), daniel (16), josh (14), erin (13)
October 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Does the stay dry layer under the cotton make the cotton a little more dry than otherwise?

I rewashed my BG and cubbie (the only diapers I have with suedecloth right now) several times to see if it may be buildup. I want to try them one more time before I sell them.
October 26th, 2007, 03:20 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
We realized our son has a problem with it too which is why we are selling our BG's.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
October 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
Sydney got really red with the suedecloth BGs too. I did like them aside from that though

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

October 26th, 2007, 11:51 PM
moondrop's Avatar Member
Quote:
Does the stay dry layer under the cotton make the cotton a little more dry than otherwise?

I rewashed my BG and cubbie (the only diapers I have with suedecloth right now) several times to see if it may be buildup. I want to try them one more time before I sell them.[/b]
i don't know, i've never tried them. i just use cotton, or bamboo now for my own son. i make his diapers, and use prefolds.

cindy(41), wife to dave (44), mom to deidre (21), alex (19), and logan (18m)
stepmom to Ben(22), Jessica(21), Caleb (20), kristen (18), daniel (16), josh (14), erin (13)
October 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
HnKsMama's Avatar Veteran
SC can hold onto the soap residue. I highly suggest stripping in the dishwasher before you sell them off.

I had to sell all the polyester inner diapers we had because DD developed a sensitivity to it. I use all cotton now. Mainly prefolds and prefitteds with a few Swaddlebees cotton velour inner AIOs and pocket.

</div>
October 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Update!

I was using bleach to wash some of my infant prefolds before storing them away for the next baby and decided to throw the two pockets that I have with SC in. I tried them out on my guy and he didn't break out! I don't know if an extra wash without being used got rid of detergent residue or if the bleach killed some nasty that likes to linger in suedecloth. But I don't have to sell off my diapers, now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search