Does anyone use pins for prefolds?

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Why do use use them? Do you get a better fit? Do you prefer the straight or bent? And can you just use normal basting pins from the fabric store or do you need to buy actual diaper pins? What brand do you prefer? TIA!

October 28th, 2007, 03:17 PM
picklesmama's Avatar <;,><
I used pins when I started because that's what I learned to use as a kid helping change diapers. At first I felt like the Snappi didn't work as well, but now I prefer Snappis. I use one if I am expecting a poop from her, and if not, I just lay the PF in the cover; our pins have been relegated to other uses
I always used locking head diaper pins, I think they were straight, and I stored them in a bit of soap to keep them easy to slide into the fabric. Regular "safety pins" can bend too easily and possibly pop open and poke the baby, diaper pins are safer. I used Dritz. I tried the Safety 1st ones once but they were more difficult to get through the diaper so I tossed them in the junk drawer for other uses.

Crissy mama to Jack 7.16.01 ~ Mia Bella 10.29.02
Angus Pickle 2.24.04 ~ Sydney Bean 10.26.06 & Kater Tot 2.15.09

October 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
HnKsMama's Avatar Veteran
I have used pins but I cant get a very snug fit around the legs like I can with a snappi. I have both Dritz and the Gerber and both are good. The dritz seem sharper though.

</div>
October 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
o prefer pins of snappis. i have a snappi and kept trying to use it, i just never got the kind of fast diaper change or nice fit lik ei did when i use pins. so i stuck with pins.

i used a soap bar to stick the pins in when i wasnt using them so that they were creamy and went through the diaper fast and easy. i used the gerber pins you get from walmart. they worked fine, in the over-a-year that we CDed i only had to replace once or 2ce.
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
October 29th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I either just use a tight fitting cover and have it folded like I was going to pin it or I use pins. I have some Gerber pins and Dritz pins and much prefer the Dritz. I use pins when I'm using wool and nothing when using a PUL cover. I have never tried a snappi, so I don't know if I'd prefer those or not.

picture does not represent current ages

October 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Thanks! Right now I use Snappis, bit I read that you should replace them every 6 months, so I was thinking about pins, since you don't have to replace until they rust.

October 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like pins and snappis, depends on my mood . I get a better fit and I like Dritz pins too. Also, I can use smaller prefolds with pins than i can with snappis. Never heard of bent pins! And the soap trick REALLY helps!
November 11th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i use pins and snappis depending on the day. i got lazy and started just doing snappis for while but soon came back to pins. i just use the gerber ones and they work great for us.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

November 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use pins, because we have a bazillion of them from our baby shower (decorating cloth diapers was one of the activities and all the diapers were folded and pinned before being decorated). I think they're Safety First. I felt silly buying Snappis when we've got more diaper pins than we could ever use!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search