sewing some bamboo diapes

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
starcie
and I need some opinions.

I'm using the rrp pattern and was going to make them into fitteds.

I've just cut my first one using 2 pieces of bamboo terry. If I sew in a soaker will they take way too long to dry? And how many layers of bamboo should I have for an "average' wetter?? I'm thinking of a compromise - maybe just sewing another panel of bamboo into the front where little boys tend to wet then making up some boosters that I can add in if need be.

WDYT

I've probably got enough bamboo to make another 20 odd diapes if I make them double layer bamboo, more if I go cotton outer and just bamboo for soakers so would drying time really matter??

So many questions!!!

TIA
November 15th, 2007, 06:27 PM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I don't know how much help I'll be, since I've never used or made bamboo diapers, but this is my suggestion:

Make the diaper with a pocket, then make a few 2-3 layer hemp inserts, keep adding inserts and trying the diaper to determine how many layers you need.
Then, wash the diaper with the insert still inside or pinned inside and try drying it to see if it takes too dry with all the layers needed sewn in or not.
KWIM?
Hopefully that made sense!
BTW, I love the RPR pattern, but I think I'm going to try adding aplix to some, what are u doing for a closure?
November 16th, 2007, 04:43 PM
starcie
I'm using a snappi so far (or I will be when I finish the soaker pads for it). I'm a bit scared of pins, and its so many layers..... just can't do it.

The bamboo was a little fragile when I tried a snappi on a scrap so I added some blue cotton terry splotches and sewed them in (3 times for extra strength) to catch the snappi without damaging the bamboo - looks kind of cute.

I'd never even heard of the pattern before and it doesn't seem to be listed in any of the pages that come up when you google for a diaper pattern, I found it here while *lurking* and was won by the rave reviews. Its lovely and trim isn't it, and very simple to make. Will have to spread the word!!!
November 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM
moondrop's Avatar Member
for my bamboo diapers i use bamboo velour inner and outer layer with 3 layers bamboo french terry soaker. they do take a while to dry but they are perfect

if you want quicker dry you might want to just make it with just 1.5 layers soaker sewn in (the half layer just thru the wetzone) then make doublers that lay on top of the diaper out of 3 layers of bamboo fabric.....
remember to prewash bamboo before sewing, it shrinks alot.

cindy(41), wife to dave (44), mom to deidre (21), alex (19), and logan (18m)
stepmom to Ben(22), Jessica(21), Caleb (20), kristen (18), daniel (16), josh (14), erin (13)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search