Oh My Lord was I Wrong

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mother cloth diapered all three of us. I was 7 years older than my baby sis.. so I learned and watched. It was so simple then... so I decided to cloth diaper too. Mind you, my child isnt even born yet and I am already frustrated.

For my shower, my mother bought me two packs (12) of cloth diapers. The ones that just look like burp rags.. same as she used. Exactly what I expected. So, I begin my hunt for more.. and of course those weird looking diaper covers that looked like plastic baloons on my kid sisters bum. Can't find them. Now everything is organic, hemp, prefolded, preformed, bleached or unbleached, secured with snaps, snappis (whatever those are), velcro (novel idea), pins, or whatnot... NOTHING IS AS SIMPLE AS I EXPECTED.

I have read the jargon thread about cloth diapering..but still I am as lost as can be.

How did you get into cloth diapering? Where is the old school stuff we used to wear.

I am so hormonal today.. this almost has me in tears. I just assumed it would be easy.. but there are so many options, brands, etc. I need a tutor in diapering now.

I want my baby's butt to be as happy as it can be.. but I am almost ready to give up and buy the disposables. I am trying to get ready for my little one who will be here soon.. and now I am stumped. I also didnt realize how expensive this can be!!

Any advice?

My Blog
November 16th, 2007, 04:13 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Prefolds are old school & I love them.My daughter just had a baby & the preemie prefolds with prowrap covers are GREAT!They are as trim as her disposibles!! If you can get in on a prefold co-op(anyone know of one?)you can get them even cheaper!

I LOVE Snappis the hook & work like pins but are faster.

here are some good sites:

http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/basics.htm

http://www.diaperpages.com/index.php

if you want pull on covers they do make them but alot of people prefer wool pull ons:

http://hyenacart.com/Rumpknits/

http://hyenacart.com/LittleBeanDiapers/
November 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
hey there! welcome over to the CD board i never realized we are due only a few days a apart!

FIRST OFF HERE'S A GREAT ARTICLE:
http://clothdiapers.blogspot.com/2006/03/h...o-i-choose.html

i got started CDing cause i saw a friend of mine's baby in a prefold, and it looked comfy. then a friend of mine on my playroom board hosted this board so i decided i was going to go for it! and started asking a bunch of questions and yes i stressed LOL but here my baby was already 9 months old and i did NOT want to have to buy sposies again asap.

if you want old fahsioned, go with prefolds and pins. that's one of my methods and one of my FAV methods. forget gerber flats/prefolds from the store. they suck compared to what is out now. the diaper service qualoty diapers that our parents owuld have had to pay a service to get, are now handy to us on EVERY site imaginable.

here ya go - 2 sites with chinese prefolds (there are also indian prefolds, they are supposed to be softer but i find them also thinner. but that is just me. i like CPF - chinese prefolds )
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.p...;products_id=89
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm

as for what to use as covers..also forget what our parents used. plastic pants are of the past! what is out now is much cuter and lasts longer
to get an easy cover you have a couple choices:

~wool, which lasts for more wears, it repels the pee/moisture so you don't have to wash it very often - but is the most pricey.
~PUL covers, PUL is a meterial that makes it waterproof. these you can let to air out in between changes and alternate covers, which could get you a days worth of wear out of about 2 covers. you would need about 5 of these covers for a newborn to start.
this one is my favorite and probably one of the most popular cover:
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.p...;products_id=92
~fleece - a lot of WAHM (work at home moms) make fleece covers and here's an idea of what it is and how it works
http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.p...products_id=727

mmm i thin kthta's it for covers...someone fill that in if i forgot something. but those are the most popular.

as for other methods/systems of cloth diapering. there's a lot out there.
~AIOs are an all-in-one diaper that has the inner and outter waterproof all in one diaper. these are great for convienence if that is what you need, but they generally take longer to dry and have to be thrown in the wash pail after one use.
~pockets are a very popular. they don't take as long to dry, can be hung dry, are a convienent diaper. and a pocket like cubbies (tkcuddlers.com) will be usable for a long time because of the adjustability. this is my favortie pocket diaper and makes up half my stash.
other popular pockets are:
fuzzibunz, swaddlebees, happy heiny and bumgenious
~fitteds - they are basically a non-waterproof snap-on or velcro (actually called APLIX, it is stronger than velcro), and then you put a cover over top. the cover can be any of the covers i talked about earlier. these are also another convenient diaper method. basically an easy prefold because there's no pinning or snappi-ing. i however find them to not be absorbant enough and they cost more than a prefolds so i don't mind the pinning to save myself a bunch of $.

snappis are just a cool new invention so that prents don't have to use pins, but some still rpefer and use pins. i can't seem to work a snappi for my life! so i still use pins, love them. not sure if your mom did this, but i put my pins stuck in soap when im not suing them, it doesn't rust them and helps them to go through the prefold like butter! i buy my pins made by gerber at walmart or babies r us.
here's what a snappi is and how it's used: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/other.htm

˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Veteran
It can be overwhelming!

If you really want your baby's bum to look like a balloon like your sisters did, you can buy vinyl pants at Babies R Us or at Target. They are little plastic underwear looking things that pull on.

If you use these vinyl pull-on pants, you will need to fasten the diaper on the baby. You can buy diaper pins, and some people use those still. Snappis are a pin replacement for those that are scared of pins. They work like the little fasteners on an Ace bandage - there's little "teeth" that grab the diaper fabric and hold it on.

The diapers that look like burp cloths are prefold diapers, sometimes called CPFs (Chinese PreFolds because that's where they were made). The Gerber brand is all you can usually find at mainstream stores. Unfortunately, the Gerber ones are not the best. But even within the Gerber brand there are different qualities of diaper - if you want to use Gerber, at least make sure that the ones you have are 100% cotton, and not stuffed with polyester filling. (My mom used "flats" on me, those are the really old-school diapers that you have to fold up into a kite shape before pinning. These are still available too if that's what you want)

If you want to do pretty much what your mom did but with a slightly modern twist, you can buy some of those diaper covers with velcro. Because they are much snugger than a traditional pull-on vinyl pant, they are tight enough to hold the diaper in place on their own, without pins or snappi. Good cheap brand is Proraps, Bummi Super Whisper Wraps are very very popular, Thirsties wraps have a lot of fans too. Of course there are many more brands, but these would be a good place to start.

Honestly, if you are comfortable with using prefolds, I'd just go with it. They work and it's the cheapest way to cloth diaper that there is, and they are wonderful for newborns. There's plenty of time to try fancier diapers as your baby grows.

Good luck!

-Jena
November 16th, 2007, 08:56 PM
dvrgrl38's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It definately seems overwhelming to most of us at first. You've already gotten some great advice. I suggest you get some more prefolds (look like burp rags) and get some pins, and a snappi. Then get a few covers. Don't stress about what types. Then you are ready for baby and you can get a few of the other types if you want to try them, but if you already have the prefolds, it'll be a lot less stressful.
If you want to try some pockets, I suggest tk cuddlers, they are made by kelli- a mama on this board.
They are easy to use, and she is great to work with and can give great advice.
We can probably suggest places to buy all this stuff if you'd like, as well as a few brands of covers that most mamas love.
hope that helps some!
November 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
I felt the same way! The mama's above covered a lot. I will share that I bought a little bit of everything when I first started, and what I didn't like or a system I didn't want, I could trade/sell to mama's here and on www.diaperswappers.com (offer here first! ).

I use pins and snappi's, but the snappi's are much faster. If you get some, be sure to pull on them to stretch them out before you use them the first time. And don't leave them on the floor, 'cause they hurt if you step on them! LOL

I have Chinese Prefolds, but also Gerber brand as well. I do prefer the CPF's because breastmilk poo soaks through the fabric and gets on the cover, which then has to be washed. If a cover is only wet, you can dry it out a couple times before washing it. Be sure to look at not just the size, but the thickness of the PF's, because it makes a big difference.

My stash is PF's and fitteds with covers for at home. I've started adding Cubbie and Fuzzi Bunz for day trips because they take up less room, being only one piece and an insert. I also use cloth wipes, which I keep dry in the diaper bag and at home and just wet in the sink when needed.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

November 19th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Wow.. thank you all for the info. I really want to make this work. My mother bought 2 (12) packs of gerber prefold cloth diapers for my shower. So I have something to start with. I need to find the covers now..and NO, I would prefer my little one NOT look like a balloon butt like my sister did. LOL
It may take a little time, but I will be reading thru everyones responses and getting my game plan down. Call me a moron, but I expected to get preggo, have a smooth pregnancy (HA!) and poof, here is baby! I didn't realize how much thought you have to really put into things.
Now back to my immunization research! LOL

Oh.. and Hi pregodego! See you in the DDC!

My Blog
November 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
hi there's wuite a few of us jan ddc girls here!!
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 19th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Jennijaznraysmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All the other ladies have given really great advice, I just want to add my thoughts. With my dd ( who is 5 now ) I was new to cd, I could not pin or anything, then I found All-in-ones and I spent a fortune on them mainly Fuzzi Bunz, which are great diapers, well this time I really don't have the money, so I have gone the Pre fold , I have unbleached indian, and a cover,using proraps, and I love it, I also use a snappi and I can get a nice trim fit and I am pretty quick with it too!!! I also have way more PFs than what I need LOL I got 4 doz, but it's way too much. I also did not get the smallest size I just got infant size so they should last a while!! Good luck and this is a great place to learn about CDing!!

Thank you Kara!
November 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I have to admit.. I think I will be going the cheaper route too. Maybe next time I will be able to do the AIO or something other than pre-folds. For the covers.. are there good ones available at the baby stores? or is ordering online the way to go?

My Blog
November 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
Quote:
I have to admit.. I think I will be going the cheaper route too. Maybe next time I will be able to do the AIO or something other than pre-folds. For the covers.. are there good ones available at the baby stores? or is ordering online the way to go?[/b]
i have never seen good covers at a store....i say ordering online!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

November 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cloth diapering can be cheap or expensive, easy or complicated. Its all up to you! The cheapest would be prefolds and covers.

Cheap and wonderful prefolds

http://little-lions.com/page3.html

this site has free shipping on diaper covers

http://nickisdiapers.com/

November 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
you have gotten some great advice already!! i am a prefold and plastic pants person (the gerber ones that you described like balloons) and i love them. I have some pockets and AIOs but i still love my pfs and covers. The Bumkin covers are great also.
Proud Christian, Cloth diapering, Baby Wearing, Signing, Select vaxing, ERF, Extended Harnessing, attempted breast feeding mama to Cadence 2/01/02 Courtney 11/26/03 Kason 4/02/07 and Kaia 8/23/09And very proud Army wife to Smitty.

November 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Thank you all so much! My DH was a bit annoyed when he found out how expensive this could be. I think with all this info I can ease his mind a bit. You ladies are a plethera of awesome information!

My Blog
November 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think I'm doing about as basic as it could get--we use pre-folds, which we pin (we got like a hundred diaper pins at our shower), and then we put on a Bummi, which is a brand of diaper wrap. That's it. I know zippo about any of the more advanced types of diapers, but things seem to be going fine with what we have. I think technically we don't even have to pin the pre-folds because we're using a Bummi, but we pin anyway. Why? I don't know, my mom (who CD'd me and my sister) was the one to show me how to use the diapers and she pinned them. Seriously, I have no idea what I'm doing, so if I can do it, you know it's got to be easy. Just start simple with your prefolds and some wraps (that's what Bummis are) and then if you decide you're more adventurous later, you can branch out into the other types. If you're not sure how to pin them, I'm sure your mom can show you, like my mom did!

November 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
outnumbered's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to outnumbered
Try doing an Internet search for cloth diapering stores in your area. The only one near me is about 45 minutes, but at least now I know that it's there.

I buy online. I have been to many baby stores, and all they sell is Gerber stuff.

I am a breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, no crying it out, baby wearing mama of 3 boys, one of which has autism. Meet my boys here (having technical difficulties with my website). My blogs are On Top of Mt. Laundry and The Cache Checkers.

Most frequently found at the Cloth Diapering board but also a member of the July '05 PR, Austim board and the Choosing Not To Vaccinate board.

November 21st, 2007, 06:10 AM
I went to look at babys-r-us for some smaller prefolds.. but they didnt have any. I have 2-12 packs of gerber prefolds.. but thought maybe I needed smaller ones for a newborn. From what I saw, they dont have any? Is this true.. that there is only one size of prefolds? They didnt have snappis either. Just one package of 6 pins..LOL. I Plan to shop more online since all we have here is babys-r-us.

My Blog
November 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Quote:
I went to look at babys-r-us for some smaller prefolds.. but they didnt have any. I have 2-12 packs of gerber prefolds.. but thought maybe I needed smaller ones for a newborn. From what I saw, they dont have any? Is this true.. that there is only one size of prefolds? They didnt have snappis either. Just one package of 6 pins..LOL. I Plan to shop more online since all we have here is babys-r-us.[/b]

For Gerber brand there is only one size. Most cloth diapering moms (including myself) don't recommend Gerber brand though. For good quality prefolds (that come in different sizes) I recommend Chinese or Indian prefolds. Here are some Chinese Prefolds (aka CPFs): http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/prefolds.htm

Most of the time, the only place you're going to find good quality cloth diapers are online, unless you're lucky enough to have a local supplier... however, big corporations like WalMart, Toys-R-Us, etc. will most likely not carry anything but the Gerber brand.

And I totally know how you feel about being overwhelmed with all the different cloth diapering options out there now. While it certainly makes cloth diapering more appealling and easy compared to the "old days", at the same time it can be pretty confusing and overwhelming reading through all the different types of cloth diapers... etc. Once you figure out the system that works best for you (all prefolds and covers, all fitteds and covers, all AIO's, all pockets, or some sort of combination) then it all falls into place.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search