Convert me

Forum: Cloth Diapering

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Cloth Diapering LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, Im Ashleigh. Im due in march with our first child. I am interested in cloth diapering. It doesnt seem like it could be that hard and would save SO much money. I just cant believe how expensive diapers are!! Not to mention, I would feel better being more environmentally friendly. My husband on the other hand, is barely willing to hear anything I say about it.

I have just started looking into this and figured, what better place to start? Especially after I saw the post about who you would convert. = ) so, convert me! I really dont know anything to start off but would like to know what you would recommend, what would be easiest to get my husband to do. What reasons did you all have to choose CD? Was there a selling point and did you have trouble getting your husbands/fathers into the idea?

Thats kind of a lot, but I appreciate any advice or recommendations you may have!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
November 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hello there and welcome and congrat on your little one on the way..
I just staarted cd'ing probably in june with my second son who was around 8 months, I do tend to do the diaper changes in the house so hubby didnt really care about making the switch, I use pocket diapers like fuzzi bunz and cubbies(a mama on this board make them) and a few all in one with snap in soakers from another mama on this board. i would say pockets ands all inones would probably be easier for the men but prefolds will be your cheapest by far....

**Thanks .Meagan. for my great siggy**
X1
November 27th, 2007, 08:56 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
there's so many great reasons, they just outbeat sposies in every way...my reasons are basically told in the link form my blinky of :why do i cloth diaper, click here to see why"

click and see! and there are so many easy diapers for dh..pockets and AIOs..and im guessing you would be the one doing the laundry anyways. my dh loves it now!
˛ married to matt ˛
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
˛

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
November 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Congrats on your pregnancy!! I was one of those people who thought cloth was "gross" and there was NO way I would ever use it Boy was I wrong!! I LOVE cloth diapering, no joke. I love to wash them, fold them, and put them on the kiddos. They are waaaaaaaaay easier than I ever thought, and super cute I started doing it to save money so I went with prefolds and covers. Once you get the hang of them, they are so easy. And they are super easy to care for. I do have a few pockets for going out and the diaper bag, but really prefolds are my fave. My dh is very supportive, but he doesnt really help with changes unless I ask. Honestly though, I havnt minded(remember I actually like changing diapers now ) When he does do changes (and for sitters and family), pockets or fitteds with aplix seem to be the easiest. Ok, so I will stop rambling, but feel free to ask me anything!!

November 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
Hey there! Benefits to cloth diapering:

1.) Cost: They are WAY cheaper than disposables in the long run. It is expensive in the beginning (when you're building your stash), but when all is said and done, in the end it is WAY WAY cheaper... even if you go a somewhat "expensive" route with it. You can spend as little as $300 for an entire stash (of the three main sizes: Small, Medium, and Large) if you want all prefolds and covers... or if you want to use easier diapers you can spend about $300 on each size (for a total of $900... which in the end is *still* cheaper than disposables), or you can have a mixture of the two, generally averaging about $500-700 on an entire stash. That's what most people do. That'll last for your child's entire diapering stage, PLUS you can reuse them on future children and save even more.

2.) Ease of Use: Cloth diapering has advanced immensely since the days of our grandparents. Today's diapers are much easier to use (even if you use the kind that you have to fold up). With prefolds (the kind you have to fold up), you don't have to use pins if you don't want to. There is a nifty thing called a Snappi that, in my opinion, is much easier to use. Though of course, there are some who prefer pins. There are easy-to-use (aka Dad and Babysitter-friendly) diapers that go on and off just like disposables, closing with snaps, velcro, or s-hooks.

3.) Ease in Washing: Washing cloth diapers is incredibly easy as well! I wash my diapers once every three days (so about twice a week). It takes no more time of actual "work" to do this than it does to take out the trash of dirty disposables. All it really requires is being able to load and unload the washer and dryer (some people prefer to hang dry them though, and obviously that would take more time... but I just use the dryer). And you don't have to fold them if you don't want to (though some people prefer to). Once every three days, after the baby has gone to sleep for the night, I load the washer with his dirty diapers (I don't have to touch any of them since I use a large waterproof bag and just flip it inside out into the wash, the empty bag goes in too). I do two washes and then switch to the dryer. Read the "How Does That Mama Wash Her Diapers" sticky to see how everyone else does it. Some have a more complicated routine, some have a super simple one. Do what works best for you and your family. ;-) Cloth diapering is very flexible.

4.) (I was going to type some about the health and environmental benefits of cloth, but I need to hurry, baby is going to wake up soon, so instead, here is a link of cloth diapering articles: http://www.diaperpin.com/clothdiaper..._diapering.asp )

5.) Fun: Cloth diapering is actually FUN! Well ok, it's not super awesome to change a diaper (no matter if you use cloth OR disposable, lol), but I think it's a lot more fun with cloth. They're way cuter than disposables, and they're like an extention of their outfits. It's fun to pick out which colourful diaper they're going to wear... and it's fun to shop for different cute diapers.

When researching cloth, you may first become overwhelmed by all the different choices and different ways you can wash them, etc. etc. Don't worry, we all feel this way at first! But once you find the type(s) and the routine that works for your family, it's easy sailing from there. When my husband and I were researching cloth, we also became overwhelmed and my husband would say things like "I don't know if this is really worth it... it seems really complicated!" But after finally trying it, there were a few bumps in the beginning (getting used to it), but after about one or two weeks of using cloth, it was incredibly simple. We don't even give it a second thought now.

My husband agrees that cloth diapering is very simple... a couple weeks ago I told him that our downstairs neighbor (who just had a baby) rejected my offer to get her some cloth diapers because "she doesn't have time for cloth." I didn't push the issue, of course (it's her choice, and I'm a believer in parents doing what's best for them... whether that be cloth or disposable, or whatever ), but when I told my husband about her "we don't have time for that" comment, he just rolled his eyes and chuckled. It takes very little time at all... like I said, no more time than it would take to take out the trash of dirty disposables twice a week.

Anyways, it's time to go get my son, so I hope what I and others have said helped! Remember, do what YOU think is best (whether that be cloth or disposables)... but don't be afraid to consider the cloth side... it's not as complicated and "icky" as it used to be.
November 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Before I was converted- mainly by all the adorable pictures of the babies here in their fluffy bums, I thought CDing was gross, and didn't see the point at all.

Now I have my stash and this awesome feeling and excitement of anticipation to start using the cloth on my baby! It was actually fun to do all the research and planing and shopping, exchanging, shopping again, LOL. It helped get through the pregnancy, kinda my way of nesting I guess for the last few months.

Now I can spout off a million reasons to use cloth but until my baby gets here I can't really PROVE to anymone how committed I am. I live with my dad and he assures me that this is all "horse crap" (as is breastfeeding in his opinion) and that I will give up in a few days. I can't wait to prove him WRONG. But I dont plan on asking him to help. When I go back to work I will pump breast milk into bottles and provide AIO cloth diapers for him to use. If he can't handle THAT, he can go buy his own packs of sposies, I'm not spending them money on them!

</div>
November 29th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is not the reason I switched to cloth, but one of my favorite parts of CDing is that you can choose whether to have poop on clothes with sposie blowouts or poop on diaper with cloth. Since we switched to cloth Sally makes it the whole day in one outfit most of the time. We had so many blowouts with sposies, and it didn't seem to matter which brand or size. Now it's rare to get poop on her clothes.

As for the other benefits:
1. I'm too lazy to take out diapers to the trash (and we forget to put the trash out on the street half the time and it gets picked up really early in the am here, so the sposies sit for two weeks in the garbage can- eww).

2. She's wearing the same diapers that I bought four months ago. None of her clothes from then fit anymore.

3. I get to breeze past the diaper aisle at the store (I give it a little wave )

4. You only have to pin if you want to. We use a Snappi.

Really, there are a lot of good reasons, from the practical to the less so (they really are adorable, even simple pfs and covers). I hope you get converted!

Need Breastfeeding Support?

December 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you to everyone who responded! Your posts have helped a lot! I think the AI2 and pockets seem like the best option for us. I have tons of research yet to do and Im sure I will return with more questions for you!! Thanks again!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search