Post your (previous) Birth Stories

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstee511 View Post
I find the dealings you guys had with other family members and nurses and doctors rather funny. I was sitting at my desk laughing out loud. LOL

I have a couple of questions tho:

So they DO numb you BEFORE giving you the epidural?

What if the epidural wears off before you're finished? Or does it?

Does your "purse" still hurt after the baby comes out? Like you're holding the baby and smiling at it, but your "purse" still feels like its being ripped apart? (Sorry, I know this question is rather graphic, but I'm curious)
I can't answer all your questions since I ended up with a s-section, but these few I can give my opinion on.

1. Yes, they did numb me before my epi. It was a little needle with lidocane (sp?), after that I didn't feel the epi needle at all. Be prepared most hospitals will make everyone including SO leave the room for this because the size of the needle almost always causes a reaction from an onlooker that will make momma tense up. They will have you sit on the edge of the bed hunched over with your head in a nurses stomach while she holds your shoulders. It sounds awful, but you really won't feel anything.

2. An epi stays in your back with an IV line for the rest of your labor. Some hospitals will give you a button to control the drip so if you start to feel anything you can increase your dose to a certain extent. I had mine in for several hrs including during my section. They will fully remove it after the baby is born.

3. I can only imagine that it will still hurt, but to what extent I don't know. I wasn't even able to deliver vaginally and mine hurt for a few weeks PP.

December 7th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, I can't seem to find where I may have posted my birth story on DS1 so it will be from memory, and my times won't be exact.

I was 41wks at my last OB appt, and they finally decided to go ahead an induce me. I was not dialated or effaced at all so they wanted to do a slow induction. I went in to the hospital at 6pm at 41+1 on Dec 21st 2010. I was started on cervadil to thin my cervix, and given a sleeping pill so that I could get some good rest before the big event. The first round of cervadil did nothing so they inserted another string which also did nothing. They then moved on to another form of cervical thinning that I can't remember the name of, but it was a little pill. They inserted that about 9am on Dec 22nd. (Both of these procedures are a little uncomfortable because the nurse has to insert the meds behind your cervix, so there are fingers going way up) I had a little cold that week so when I coughed one time at about 11am I felt a pop and a gush as my water broke. I was in immediate intense labor with contractions only a 2 mins apart and lasting for a min each. So basically I would contract for a min and have a min break. I was very quiet, and just focused on my breathing. Around 4pm DH didn't think I could take anymore and asked the nurse for an epi. I had always said that I wanted to go med free, but at that time I couldn't breathe and argue with him at the same time so I gave in. They kicked DH out of the room and let him back in after I was hooked up. I was then actually able to get some sleep in between the times the nurses came to check me. I was at an 8 by 6pm, and still an 8 at 10pm when the new OB came on shift and checked me. Since I had made no progress and we were coming up on 12hr post water breaking he told me he thought it would be best if we discussed a c-section. The OR was already in use at that time so he gave me another hr to make some progress. I didn't manage to do that so a little after 11pm I was wheeled into the OR. They started cutting at 11:30pm, and even though I didn't feel any real pain I did feel a lot of pulling and pressure. It did hurt quite a bit, but still wasn't painful if that makes any sense. Little Garry was born at 11:45 weighing 8lb 11oz, but he was not breathing. He had swallowed too much fluid while he was stuck in the birth canal. They had to suction him, and some other stuff and I finally got to hear him cry. After that I don't remember much until I was in recovery. DH later told me that the anesthesiologist put some "White medicine" into my epi IV and I went to sleep. Baby was taken straight to the NICU for oxygen, and chest x-rays. I was taken to recovery, and then wheeled into the NICU on my bed to get a small glimpse of him. I wouldn't get to see him again until almost 7pm the next day. They wouldn't let me up until I was off the morphine drip and had my catheter removed. DH and all the grandparents were allowed in to NICU and got to hold him before me. When they finally allowed me to get in a wheelchair and go down to see him the nurse almost wouldn't let me even hold him because it was almost time for his bottle. DH had to get a little firm and explain that this would be the first time I got to hold my baby and that is exactly what I was going to do. Shortly after that little Garry was released by the NICU dr and transferred to my room by 10:30pm on Dec 23rd. We were both released by noon on Christmas Eve, and were even able to make it to all the family Christmas get togethers. I didn't take any of my pain meds after being released, and my recovery (other than getting myself easily out of bed) was very quick.

DS2 was much better and I copy and pasted from my DDC birth story.
I had a scheduled c-section on Sat. Nov. 17th. I had to be at the hospital at 7am, so we dropped little Garry of at my in-laws on the way and headed to the hospital. I was walked up to labor and delivery. Since I didn't need a labor room I was put into the surgical recovery room which is right behind the nurse's station, and has 3 beds in it. I was given a gown, bag for my clothes, and a cup to pee in and sent to the bathroom to change. Once that was done they got me shaved up,drew blood, ran my IV, and had more forms for me to sign. The CRNA came in and explained the spinal, and what he needed from me during the surgery. It was now around 8:45am. I was scheduled to be in the OR at 9am so they wrapped me in a blanket, and had me walk down the hall to the OR. The anesthesiologist was there waiting for me so I was given a step stool to climb up on the table.

This is when I decided I wanted to change my mind and not have a section at all. I was so nervous that I wanted to just go home and hope I would go into labor on my own at some point. When I had an emergency c-section the first time I had already been in labor for awhile, had my epi, and just wanted whatever would get my baby here safely, and quickly. I was wheeled into the OR on a hospital bed, and moved to the operating table. Walking in on my own, and actually seeing the whole room is a totally different experience and it freaked me out.

While the CRNA setup the different meds he would use the anesthesiologist put in my spinal. And man, can I say that was the best thing. So much better than the Epi I had with my 1st. By the time the needle was out I already couldn't feel anything below my ribs, and the nurses had to lay me back onto the table. I did get a little nervous when I started to feel nauseated, and like something was sitting on my chest. Turns out you're supposed to feel like that and I already had meds in my IV to make it go away.

I was told that I would be shivering and feel cold during the surgery, but the nurses were great they layered my arms up with warm blankets and I actually stayed warm thru the whole thing. The drapes were hung and DH was brought into the room.

DH is really into everything nerdy, so he watched the whole thing over the drape. I on the other hand didn't want to get any more nervous so I asked the Dr not to explain everything to me as he was doing it. I laid there with my eyes closed waiting to feel the pressure, pulling, and discomfort that I felt the first time around. The next thing I know I hear the Dr telling DH that he is about to start the uterine incision. I didn't even know they had started cutting. I didn't feel anything at all. My OB made a comment about how Nathaniel had a large head and it didn't want to fit thru the incision he had made. At this point I felt some pressure on my rib cage. I found out later that this was from one of the nurses trying to push Nathaniel down, while the Dr had the vacuum on his head pulling. DH thought it was all really cool.

Nathaniel Edward Harvey was born at 9:36am on Saturday November 17th 2012. He was 7lbs 5oz, 17.5 inches long, and had a perfectly wonderful set of lungs. He is perfect, and oh so very tiny.

All in all my first birth was very traumatic, and my second was a walk in the park. I am very much looking forward to my 3rd c-section this time since I know what to expect.

Last edited by MommaHarvey; December 7th, 2013 at 09:27 PM.
July 9th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Bumping.

Just re-read mine and hoping it kick starts these braxton hicks/contractions into something regular and useful! I'm DONE. lol

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

July 9th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Reading these again and seeing Alison's amazing video just made me break down like crazy. I've been really anxious that past few days, almost scared but now I just really want my baby. I don't care what it takes or what I have to go through. I'm so ready for this sweet thing to join us.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search