Post your (previous) Birth Stories

Forum: July 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To July 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
mstee's post about being scared from reading birth stories gave me an idea.... What if we post OUR birth stories, that way if there are questions/comments she (or whoever) will actually have the person to talk to about it!! Also, it's just fun I love birth stories, I love everything about being pregnant and I love labor!!! LOL!!

DD1 Kailey Rose Lieselotte (I have MVP, it's a certain type of heart murmur, at the time it was thought folks w/ this need certain meds in labor so I had a MW hospital birth). I just copy/pasted from 2006 Birth Stories but I fixed typos and added stuff in pink to explain/clarify things.

On Monday, July 31 I started bloody show early in the morning. I had a couple contractions throughout the day...but I thought it would be a cpl days still. Around 4:15pm, Tami (my sil) stopped by and we were talking and I realized that the "pressure pains" (I say pressure pains because it just felt like my stomach got rock hard, no pain what soever) I had been having all day were actually contractions and they were starting to come regular so I started timing them. They varied, but for the most part were around 10 minutes apart. Again, I thought that it would last a couple days (I loved my bradley book and was fully prepared for prodromal labor and to not get my hopes up when in reality I had the text book labor LOL!). Josh and I laid down around 2am (He was raiding in WoW ladies!! haha) and I squeezed his shoulder during a contraction (he had yet to see me have one). He turned and looked at me with a worried look, realizing that this was it. He started timing them and they were 7 min apart and 45 sec long.

We went for a walk and laid back down, but they started tapering off so at 4 am we went for another walk. We came back, layed down and Josh fell asleep. I then had three contractions 5 min apart that were more intense so I got in the bath. Once in, they slowed down..all of a sudden stuff started coming out of me...I thought it was my water, but was unsure. So, I got out and went and told Josh. I told him I was gonna call Suzanne in a cpl min if the contractions stayed at 5 min, and for him to go back to sleep. About 15 min later I phoned her and let her know what was going on. She said she would be right over.

I called my mom and sis and they came over. My mom was so nervous/excited she had to pull the car over on her way over and throw up. LOL!! I felt bad they were rushing over, I felt like this wasn't it..so I didn't want them to have driven 30 min to my place to have to turn around. Well, my MW shows up and then my mom (she is crying lol). She checks me and I am 4cm (6 during contrax), but no water...it was probably just pee in the tub....(oops) lol. My sis shows up and then my stepdad. Mom is cooking eggs for me to eat for energy, Josh is at the store getting me snack food.

We are all talking and playing around. I have to stop and breathe through contrax, but other than that I was acting as if I wasn't in labor. It was really VERY easy and I was highly surprised. My mom and sis were amazed at my behavior. Suzanne had a 9am appt that she was going to go to and she asked if I wanted to be checked before she left. I didn't care, but my mom insisted. So, in we go to my bed and I'm a 7!!! So my MW laughs and decides it's a good idea NOT to go to her appt. My Mom jumps in my shower real quick to get ready and Josh says "Lets tell her that we are heading to the hospital NOW." I said no because she would probably puke again...LOL!! Everyone laughed at that.

So, I'm 7cm and I still feel great, a little guilty that I'm having such an easy labor actually. I'm playing with my neice, Alyssa, and just rolling around on my birth ball. Suzanne shows my mom and Josh some techniques to press on my pelvic bones to help with the pain/pressure. Suzanne does a GREAT job My sister is a pharmacy tech so she started asking Suzanne what kind of meds I'm going to be on. Suzanne says "oh, she's GBS negative, so we don't have to get her meds."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all just stop and look at each other and I say "Suzanne...my heart murmur..." She then jumps up and says "Well, then looks like we'll be going to the hospital NOW." LOL!! My step dad had just asked when we were leaving which promted my sister to ask about the medecine. So, we get ready and go to the hospital. I'm doing just fine still, no problems at all. I wait inside the doors smiling and laughing while Josh parks the car.

We get into my room and hook me up to the monitors and start the I.V. (that nurse was ..not very nice). Josh was holding my hand while they took blood and placed the I.V. in, but he almost passed out so he had to go sit down. Poor thing...lol!! I'm finally able to get in the tub which is real nice. Everyone else is chillin on the couch in the room just laughing and w/e. My Mom and sister and Josh and Suzanne are all in and out of the bathroom to talk to me. The tub is cool...but it was narrow at the bottom making it kind of hard to sit...but the water DID help. Suzanne checks me and I'm an 8, then a 9 (it's like maybe around 3 or something). She wants me to go for a walk to get things going faster because contractions have started to slow down. Josh and her and I go walking and then get back in the tub. She checks me..I'm a 10, but I have a cervical lip in the front. We try different positions and everything...but we just couldn't get it to move.

Here is the thing: Once I started getting to a 9, I started panicking. Not outwardly, but inside I was fighting myself. I realized I was terrified of pushing and tearing and being able to feel it, so I was shutting my body down from progressing any further. After about an hour, she checked me again and I now had lip in the back. I was in extreme pain by now because my body was fighting itself and working backwards and the contractions were working twice as hard. I was in this state for probably about 2 hours, and I don't remember it really except for pain and Josh. He was wonderful...I just kept crying and breathing real hard and whimpering. My face was burried into his neck for a long time and I was hanging onto him for dear life. I remember looking up at his face after I heard him sniffling, and seeing tears. I made a note of this to help myself calm down for HIM. Suzanne then came into the room (I was on the bed right now) and she said that she needed to put in an internal monitor to check and see if my contractions were strong enought to move the lip. I agreed, knowing something had to be done because I was still fighting myself.I get a shot of nubain while the internal monitor was put on but it only lasted about 20 min. She put it in and about 20 min later she came back and said that the contractions are not strong enough, that they keep slowing down more and more. She then said she needed to hook me up to pitocin, because I'm not moving the lip on my own. I then focus to think straight about what was best for me and Kailey. Josh was out of the room so it was left up for me to decide what to do. I figured that if my body wasn't going to progress anymore (I knew I was holding myself back, but I was just too scared) then I would end up with a Csection~~and that would require an epidural. So..I might as well go ahead and get the epidural with the pitocin and avoid the csection. I told Suzanne that if she had to give me pitocin I would need something stronger than nubain, so I agreed to the epidural that she offered. I was a little upset that I was holding myself back, but I was very ok with my decision. I was terrified of the epidural and I let everyone know haha...They all reassured me many times that it would be ok, that I wouldn't be paralyzed. Josh came in and was shocked to hear I agreed to the epidural, but when he heard of the whole situation, he understood that there wasn't any other choice. If she started pitocin without stronger meds, I knew I would not be able to handle it and I'd order a csection.

Josh held me while I was getting the epidural. I jerked JUST like I was terrified I would, but it was when they were giving me the numbing medecine, not the actual epidural thingy. THANK GOD. I started getting a contraction and I just held onto Josh for dear life and whimpered and breathed through it. I didn't feel the epidural go in. It took about 5-10 minutes for it to kick in, and when it did, I was so happy. I knew that things were going to be ok, and I knew I was going to be able to relax enough to open my cervix back up
I was exhausted at this point. I dozed for about 40 minutes while Suzanne let the pitocin work on me. She checked me after 40 minutes and told me that I was complete, that the pitocin and epidural did it's job. I was proud of myself! My mom and sister and Josh were all telling me how strong I was for getting to 10, and then making the right choice of the epidural. They told me that I was doing a great job, and I felt like I was too. I was getting excited about pushing now because I knew that I wasn't going to feel pain during it, and that if I tore, I wouldn't feel it!! But, I knew I had worn my body out real bad, so I asked to sleep for about 30 more minutes to save up some energy for the pushing. Suzanne said that was a great idea. I tried to doze, but I was just too excited about starting pushing and finally getting to see my baby!

It became time to push. My sister got the video camera out and Josh was up by my head. My Mom and Suzanne were sitting at the end of the bed, each holding a leg and pushing against them as I had a contraction. I had feeling in my legs, I just couldn't move them. A nurse was telling me when I was having a contraction and Suzanne directed me on my pushing. On my first push Suzanne was very impressed at how much I was able to push her down. She said Kailey was right there and that my pushing was excellent. Throughout the pushing I started feeling more and more down there, especially as her head entered the canal. It didn't hurt, but I was so thankful I was able to feel her, and eventually, I was able to tell when I was having a contraction on my own too, and the pushing became something I controlled. Her heartbeat was dropping very low during contractions, so I wasn't allowed to talk, I had to breathe VERY deep for her to get enough oxygen. I kept asking if she had hair every time she moved down, and finally I got my answer and wish. She did! I pushed and pushed, I felt her head come out and it was soooo cool feeling! I knew you are supposed to stop after the head is out and wait for the next contraction for the body, but Suzanne kept saying "keep pushing", so I just kept going and out plopped her body.

She summersaulted on the bed, my Mom and Suzanne actually helped pull her out. My mom was very happy about being able to help deliver Kailey, she was bawling. Kailey was brought to my stomach and I said "Hello Pretty" and smiled and held her hand.

I then heard Suzanne who was cutting the cord, which my mom did, and then Suzanne said they were taking her to get her oxygen. I said "Yes please, she is turning purple." It wasn't until maybe 30 minutes later that I realized we didn't wait for the cord to stop pulsing to cut it....Kailey was losing oxygen, thus her purple color when she was out of me, and also why Suzanne made me push her out in one go. This caused me to tear in 3 ways, but I was ok, because Kailey was out and getting the air she needed. Her first apgar was a score of 6. Josh was crying and smiling and I was just soooooo happy and relieved. It was wonderful!!!

I shouldn't have pushed that fast, her cord didn't need to be cut/oxygen given and I don't believe in apgar scores

Josh brought her over to me after she got her pink color. As soon as he handed her to me she went in search of her Daddy. She was craning her neck to find Josh, it was adorable. I was so in love and so happy

7:36pm August 1, 2006
7.54lbs
17 1/4 inches long
Apgars: 6, 9, 9

Overall, I was VERY proud of myself for getting to a 10 on my own. It was not painful at all until I started working against my body. Even with the small complication, I still consider it a very easy labor/birth and I loved every minute of it.

Oh, and she WAS posterior. I knew it! Little bugger turned while I was in labor...and her head was a little cockeyed as well. The pushing lasted a whole 40-50 minutes.

DD2 Homebirth Nola Rain Lila

Tuesday, March 17th
Suzanne checked my cervix, I was 1-2cm dilated and 50-75%effaced. I started spotting and losing pieces of mucous plug (no surprise) and the BH’s that I’ve had daily multiple times since 20wks were different – they had become crampier and radiated to the back (never had that before in either pregnancies).

Wednesday, March 18th
The crampy/painful contrax continue on and off. Around 10pm they became regular 4-5min apart. I tried getting some sleep but they were too painful. I didn’t call my MW though; my gut told me (apparently) that it wasn’t time. Around 2am I finally fell asleep and when I woke up at 4 I realized they were 10min apart – false labor GR! I called into work because I figured it would be soon anyway and I hadn’t had enough sleep so I needed to rest, I was exhausted.

Thursday, March 19th
I’m worn out from the false labor overnight and angry/frustrated that the contrax have backed WAY off but that whenever I would have one it would still be very painful and I would have to stop and focus through it. I took a nap in the morning and a nap in the afternoon with Kailey. We woke up at 4pm and I figured if I wasn’t going to have the baby I may as well clean. I completely cleaned the bathroom the cats were stuck in (they had been sick), I cleaned and vacuumed Kailey’s room, I cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry. I also mopped the floor in the bathroom and by the fireplace. It was around 6:30ish when I started getting contrax again and they were about 10min apart. I figured that it was from straining myself on the cleaning so I slowed down, started timing them. From that point until midnight they were coming regular and shorter together, lasting longer. I was afraid of another false labor but it hurt so much that I needed my MW’s opinion anyway. I called her at 12:10am I believe and she and her assistant were there within the hour making it 1am on March 20th. ([COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]I still wasn't going to call MW but when DH saw me lean against the kitchen counter and breathe through one he told me I was in labor and I needed to call.[/COLOR]

Friday, March 20th
My MW brought up her supplies and then decided to check me. I was 5cm so it was labor after all. I couldn’t be happier; my baby was going to be here soon. The contractions were nice, we did a lot of cool things during labor like use the robozo and knee press. I sat on the bar stool and the assistant would push my hips/knees differently. The birth pool was really cool. My MW would have me do laps around the pool (walking outside the pool) and just generally made me change my position/what I was doing every 30min or so to keep things moving along. I felt like things weren’t progressing, like they should be harder (don’t get me wrong, the contrax did hurt lol). My MW checked me again (don’t know what time) and I was 6cm. She looked disappointed and so did I. Well, after that we watched the Vegas movie with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz and some Jeff Dunham comedy to make me laugh. She also had me put some cohosh tablet thingys under my tongue to dissolve and the assistant gave me a clary sage (aromatherapy) massage on the acupressure points of my feet and legs - things were getting more intense, I was now in transition. At this point I needed my husband’s assistance, just being there holding my hand and rubbing my arms. Once the assistant checked me again her head was right there but I didn’t feel the need to push or anything. My Mw checked me after 30 min of me doing light pushes with nothing happening and she said that I had a lip so I got out, had some contractions where I bent against the wall and lifted my belly up to put her head on the cervix. After a few contrax I got back in the pool. Now, this caught me up with Kailey’s birth (the cervical lip), I had a back lip, then a front lip and then the contrax started stopping. I started panicking and told myself to just push through the lip, visualize the cervix opening up I WAS going to have this baby. Well, it wasn’t working and Suzanne wanted to try to push the lip out of the way. It hurt…a lot, just like it did with Kailey. Suzanne knew I hated it but there was nothing left to do – I was starting to get worn out. I gave Suzanne the ok to try a 3rd time and I PUSHED and it huuuuuuuuuuuuurt I started panicking, it was horrible. I kept thinking that if I was in the hospital, I WOULD tell them to just get her out of me, but I was at home, I HAD to do it, there were no choices.

I never felt the urge to push with either child. I don't know how legit this "lip" thing was, I think my MW was just push happy. I am VERY adamant about not pushing until the body feels the urge this time!

We got out of the tub and sat at the birth bar/stool and Suzanne pushed on my stomach upwards (to move her head on a more favorable cervix pressure). I was worn out so the assistant told Josh to get me some honey for energy. I’m thinking “honey? Honey isn’t going to do anything I need this kid out of me and some sleep!” LOL!! Well, I was having a contraction at this point and Josh’s hand was ALL sticky because he had just started pouring the honey… my MW was pushing on the lip and I was DONE. I was like, ‘Ok, this is it – I need this to end and there is no option except for ME to get her out.” So I pushed with EVERYTHING I had and screams just started tearing through me (it scared even me!)… Kailey started crying at this point (she had just woken up about an hour prior at about 5:30ish) and I just pushed and pushed and Suzanne said “Keep going she’s coming down!” (this gave me encouragement) and I could finally feel her moving down and I’m screaming my head off (in reality there were only 3 screams, but they were loud and devastating to anyone within earshot lol) and I just keep pushing, I don’t stop. I can feel the ring of fire, and that wasn’t sooo bad, but I could feel the small tear upwards that I had (that burnt!!!!). I remember someone saying to Josh (because he was busy getting the honey) “get over here she’s coming!” because he was going to catch her. Well he got over in time to only put one hand under me (the other covered in honey) to “help” catch the baby. She just tumbled out of me and I remember opening my eyes up as the rest of her body slid out of me and I just went limp.

My exhaustion immediately and instantaneously took over. My body started shaking and felt like it was collapsing. Suzanne tried handing her to me and I remember whispering, “I can’t” because I was too weak and she was like “Yes you can Jackie take her” so I did and they helped me hold her. The ONLY thing my mind was focused on was “don’t you dare drop her Jackie” LOL! I looked around and there was so much blood it was gross. The cord was short and they wanted me to get in the pool with her so we all 5 scooted over to the pool and they helped me in. I was so exhausted I’ve never felt anything like it. The cord stopped pulsing and Josh cut it (I’m SO proud of him!). He didn’t cut it with Kailey and he was even going to catch the baby this time but was unable to, but still he did so awesome. So, we get Nola out of the pool and Sarah helps me birth the placenta. OMG I forgot how you can’t breathe after you have a baby, I HATE that. My eyes kept closing and I kept sleeping. I laid on my bed with Nola while Josh took care of Kailey and Suzanne & Sarah took all their supplies down. Suzanne cooked me some eggs and Sarah fed them to me because I was so out of it. Suzanne then checked me and I was terrified!! I didn’t know if I tore or not and I saw her needle to give me numbing medicine for stitches and I started panicking. I did tear, two small ones. I feel the smaller one, it hurt and burnt but it’s much better now already. The other one they wanted to stitch (like 1 or 2 stitches) and I told Suzanne that if it was that “weak” of a tear that I would rather heal on my own, I’m terrified of needles. She agreed so I was very happy. I don’t even feel that tear at all, don’t know where it’s at or anything, not causing any problems.

6.15lbs
19in long
6:24am
March 20, 2009
Breastfeeding has been a breeze & I think my milk has started coming in already at 1 day pp. She is very quiet and content with anyone holding her.
VallyD likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Last edited by Earthy.Mama; December 7th, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
December 6th, 2013, 11:33 AM
mstee511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mstee511
And here I am too....lol

My baby boy!

December 6th, 2013, 11:59 AM
VallyD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is from memory I can't find my old birth story.

I was due on Black Friday the year my son was born. I was a miserable hot mess. I begged the Dr. to induce me/ C section me because I gained upwards of 65 lbs and the Dr. had given me crap about the weight gain the whole pregnancy and I had basically cried about it for 6 months but no, Dr. wasn't having it.

On Thanksgiving I cooked a huge dinner and I remember being so swollen... just, scary swollen like I was afraid for people to see my feet they were embarassing. My face was swollen I just looked like the Pillsbury dough boy. I had pelvic issues where when I rolled over in bed you could hear the bones crunching together and sciatica.

I had been through hell with my son's father's family. They didn't speak to us the entire pregnancy because they were ashamed we had conceived out of wedlock. I remember showing his father the first U/S picture and him storming out of the room, I didn't see him again until Thanksgiving night. It's a tradition to watch the Dallas game on Thanksgiving and we headed off to their house to watch it much to my dismay, I remember laying on the bed before we left just crying because I was so absolutely tired of being pregnant I couldn't handle it anymore.

During the game that night I felt like I had to poop but I couldn't. It was driving me crazy. Eventually I made my son's father leave and on the way back to our house (30 mins) we got a flat tire. I kept feeling this "urge to go" but I couldn't, while the cop was helping to change the tire I ate an entire pecan pie I had been sent home with, lmao.

I called my mom to ask her what I could take to get things moving so to speak ( Like... to help me poop lmao) and she said get some gummies and some metamucil so I did and I ate so much of those two things I am embarassed now lol.

Got home got in bed and woke up around 12am feeling that need to go again. It drove me insane. Finally A LIGHT BULB WENT OFF and I thought "Oh what if these are contractions!?" I had experienced a TON of Braxton Hicks contractions but they are nothing like the real thing IMO.

I started to time them after I had taken a shower in which my sense of smell had gotten ridiculous, everything was making me queasy. There was no real rhythm to the contractions until about 8 AM and they started falling right at 10 minutes apart. I called the hospital and got this IRRITATING thing I like to call "First Time Mother Treatment" which means that L and D things you are crazy any time you call saying you are in labor if you are a first time mom. The first thing they will ask is "Is this your first baby?" and expect to get the same answer I did when I said yes "Call us back when you are 5 mins apart".

Jerks. So at 9ish I was 5 minutes apart, I called back and then they said "Come in we will check you but don't get excited we will probably send you home" (I seriously hate the hospital here). So my son's father was getting ready to work Black Friday in the restaurant which is a huge day and he's all "I can't miss work I can't miss work" and NOT BELIEVING THAT I AM IN FREAKING LABOR. I had to drag his arse back in the house he was walking to the car THE ONLY CAR with his apron on ready to go. My mom finally had to run interference and fix him up because by this point I was bent over the island in the kitchen breathing through the contractions.

We get there and he parks as far away as humanly possibly from the ER, no he did not drop me off, I walked. Get there get up stairs and whammo, the nurse goes "WOW YOU ARE 4cm YOU ARE IN LABOR".

No ****.

So the Hospital is incredibly understaffed, I get checked again by the Dr. and he checks me at 5cm and breaks my water without asking me. That was the straw that broke me right there. I am telling you one thing NO ONE is breaking my water this time, any cushion whatsoever you had for the contractions is instantly gone and it's a whole different ballgame.

I am in back labor and I have to lay on my back or baby's heart rate drops. I am literally climbing the **** walls begging for an epidural. HE'S TOO BUSY TO GET TO ME YET and I am progressing really fast.

An hour later I am at 7cm. The nurse is lecturing me "if you don't figure out a way to breath you are going to hyperventilate" to which I said something smart like "If you don't figure out a way to get me an epidural I don't need you in here" or something and I finally got my epidural which he turned up WAY high because I pretended like I could still feel my legs when I couldn't because I was scared that pain was coming back. If I had been able to lay on my side without his heart rate dropping I think I would have felt better and it wouldn't have been so painful.

That slowed labor down a lot. I'm sure I would have delivered in about 30 more minutes at the rate I was going but after the epidural things calmed down and I sat and joked with some family members including my sons family who now is pretending they didn't ignore us for my entire pregnancy, act like total *********s, or hang up when we called with the babies name we had decided on and is super stoked all of a sudden for us. *rolls her eyes straight out of her head*.

I couldn't feel anything... I'm serious. I felt nothing. My leg's were completely numb I couldn't move them at ALL. I asked if I should push around 4pm and the nurse is like "Eh go ahead and try" but no one told me when to push, how long to push, no one told me when a contraction was coming... it was HORRIBLE. This isn't how labor is supposed to go for all you new moms reading this, this is the signature of a TERRIBLE Hospital Staff so your mileage may vary.

The Dr. said "Get me the big scissors" I will never forget that, they didn't ask they just straight performed a 3rd degree episiotomy. My mom left at this point, apparently the scene below my waist wasn't too pretty, I had passionately declined their offer of a mirror considering what I had done to my stomach with all the metamucil (sorry TMI, but it's super funny in retrospect) lol. My son was born shortly thereafter around 5:30 I suppose.

Oh I got stitched up, which I felt actually, after I passed the placenta which for some reason I didn't know you had to do that I had missed that part in my baby books and I remember looking at the dr weird when he said "You aren't done keep pushing you have to pass the placenta" ... that's pretty easy.

His father was amazing during delivery but when he was born he apparently had not gotten the memo on what babies heads look like when they come out. Make sure your SO knows that they can be a little cone headed at first or else you will have to deal with what I had to deal with, your SO screaming "WHATS WRONG WITH HIS HEAD" over and over and embarassing the crap out of you while you are to tired to say "Shutup idiot it will go back to normal".

They took the baby for a while and I made him go get me a tuna sandwhich because I did everything PERFECT that pregnancy and I refused to eat tuna (obviously this time I am a bit more relaxed) and had been craving it for 9 months.

Still, despite all of that, nothing could prepare me for COLIC and the resulting depression and anxiety. That was harder than labor by far.

Any questions I will be happy to answer!

Last edited by VallyD; December 6th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
December 6th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I find the dealings you guys had with other family members and nurses and doctors rather funny. I was sitting at my desk laughing out loud. LOL

I have a couple of questions tho:

So they DO numb you BEFORE giving you the epidural?

What if the epidural wears off before you're finished? Or does it?

Do you instantly "feel better" after giving birth, like wanting to eat?

ValleyD, you said you FELT them sewing you up...OMG!!!!! I am squeamish when it comes to needles to begin with, but they don't do like local anesthesia or something before sewing? Sheesh!

Also, I had someone tell me once that their baby was born with a head full of hear and it burned so bad down there when the baby was coming out.

Does your "purse" still hurt after the baby comes out? Like you're holding the baby and smiling at it, but your "purse" still feels like its being ripped apart? (Sorry, I know this question is rather graphic, but I'm curious)
VallyD likes this.

My baby boy!

December 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you sure the topic shouldn't be "Let's scare the H.E. double hockey sticks out of the newbies!"?

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
VallyD - unfortunately experiences like yours are quite common in hospitals I hate them and really really hate how the US and other "todo" countries treat pregnancy/labor.

Yes, you get a numbing shot.

It's connected to a drip, they can up or lower the meds I believe. It wears of some for you to feel your body but not the pain, for others the epidural only works on 1/2 the body, for others they get very horrible spinal headaches for months after the birth. I'm not a proponent of epidurals, but everyone's gotta do what they gotta do.

I ate a BigMac and was FILLED with energy for 24hrs after my DD1 birth. After DD2 I was hand fed some eggs for energy (I really should have drank an electrolyte drink during labor, this time I'm drinking coconut water). I was EXHAUSTED, I just needed to sleep.

ValleyD, you said you FELT them sewing you up...OMG!!!!! I am squeamish when it comes to needles to begin with, but they don't do like local anesthesia or something before sewing? Sheesh!
Yes but I said "heck no" for the homebirth. I didn't want to feel any needles down there even for numbing. My epidural was still in use during dd1 (I tore pretty bad with her) so I didn't feel any sewing up.

Also, I had someone tell me once that their baby was born with a head full of hear and it burned so bad down there when the baby was coming out.

LOL, the hair has nothing to do with it.............. It's called the ring of fire, it's when the skin/perineum stretches so thin, it's to cut off circulation down there as a pain control measure, but it can feel very hot. I felt it with dd2, and it was intense, but not necessarily painful IMO.

Does your "purse" still hurt after the baby comes out? Like you're holding the baby and smiling at it, but your "purse" still feels like its being ripped apart? (Sorry, I know this question is rather graphic, but I'm curious)

No, just soreness, like a bruise.
VallyD likes this.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

December 6th, 2013, 12:44 PM

No, they don't. They spray something REALLY COLD on it so you feel more cold than stinging. Do not be afraid of the epidural pain, it's nothing if you are having contractions. The hardest thing about getting an epidural is staying still because of the contractions. If you choose to get one you will be so excited at the idea of not being in pain it wont bother you a bit, I seriously do not even remember it hurting at all.

They turn it down as you are pushing or they turn it off. It depends. It's good for it to wear off a little so you can feel contractions.

Yep I felt better than I had in NINE MONTHS! LOL

They pushed Stadol in my IV at first when they started sewing me up but it made me feel CRAZY and gave me really weird dream-like thoughts, almost like hallucinations, they were going to push it again because I could still feel some of the sewing but I managed to tell the nurse no. I only felt it because I did not want the Stadol or another shot down there. That's my fault.

My son was bald lol I dunno, I didn't really feel it or if I did I don't remember it, it's such a blur all I remember is anytime I started thinking about what might be going on down there I instantly just thought to myself "JUST PUSH SHUTUP AND PUSH". I didnt make a sound during active labor other than breathing.

It's weird because I was all cut open and not on pain meds when my son was brought back but something about holding your newborn takes away ANY pain you are in. The parts that happen after delivery are some of the more important parts that people don't really talk about.

I had to deal with major hemorrhoids and that 3rd degree cut, the hemorrhoids were probably the worst but I didn't know WHAT they were, once I reached down there and figured it out the nurses gave me some medicine to put down there (Yes their hospital staff is so ignorant they didn't take it upon themselves to just give me some prep h). Afterwards they will come around periodically to push down hard on your tummy to get the rest of the blood and stuff out. I did end up getting a few pain killers because I wasn't breastfeeding and I had a ton of stitches.
December 6th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Lindsay In MD's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for the birth stories!! I've never read one before.

I'm sure once I digest these, I'll have plenty of questions
December 6th, 2013, 08:42 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
OK - Here is my story (also from memory - I'll try to find the original later) DS was due on Christmas Eve and DH being active military had that exact block of time off left for leave. As the days passed I began to really panic about him missing his sons birth so I consulted with my doula and OB and we decided to try for the most minimally invasive sort of induction. We checked into the hospital at about 8pm and by 10pm they could pick up contractions. My doula came over at about 11pm and settled in for a nap on the floor with DH crashing on the sofa in the room. At about 4am my water broke and I knew something wasn't right. there was heavy meconium (gross but basically your baby has a BM in utero) and that meant extra monitoring and not as much movement as I would have liked but my doula and hospital were amazing and super supportive. 19 hours of labor pretty intense labor and we finally discussed allowing for some pitocin. At this point we were going from our main goal of avoiding medications and interventions to truly avoiding a c-section. Again having our doula be able to coach and advise us every step of the way made such a difference in our confidence.... after such a long labor our LO was getting stressed and our doula and OB saw some pretty scary decels in his heart rate. I remember at one point the OB telling me she was going to have to cut me and I told her NO DONT and pushed one more time and he was born. NO tearing!! (yay) They did warn me that they were going to try very hard to deliver him very carefully so he would be limp and would not be crying. They had the entire NICU team in the room ready for him as they didnt want him to take his first breaths and inhale meconium. It seemed liked forever before I finally got to hear him cry. Apgar started at 3 and quickly went up to 9. He was born at 6:42pm weighing in at 8lb and 13oz ;0)
December 6th, 2013, 08:54 PM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I don't know how much this HELP so much as it will scare... lol, but I think sharing our birth stories is a great idea.

Here is my birth story, complete with a few pics.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/26985026-post1.html (Zane's Birth Story!)
mstee511 likes this.

December 6th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Wow raz what a BIG baby!
December 6th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How about a video? Nothing graphic These are both home water births. I had three babies induced in the hospital and four at home.

This is a video done by a professional videographer of my 7th
http://vimeo.com/m/41450984

This one is a photo slideshow of our 6th
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1DCMY7...%3DM1DCMY7anzY"

Last edited by Alison79; December 6th, 2013 at 09:58 PM.
December 7th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colette20 View Post
Yeah, I don't know how much this HELP so much as it will scare... lol, but I think sharing our birth stories is a great idea.

Here is my birth story, complete with a few pics.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/26985026-post1.html (Zane's Birth Story!)
Your story made me cry. I can't imagine my body going through all those changes only to miss out on the one thing it was all for.

It also scared me more. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzledobe View Post
OK - Here is my story (also from memory - I'll try to find the original later) DS was due on Christmas Eve and DH being active military had that exact block of time off left for leave. As the days passed I began to really panic about him missing his sons birth so I consulted with my doula and OB and we decided to try for the most minimally invasive sort of induction. We checked into the hospital at about 8pm and by 10pm they could pick up contractions. My doula came over at about 11pm and settled in for a nap on the floor with DH crashing on the sofa in the room. At about 4am my water broke and I knew something wasn't right. there was heavy meconium (gross but basically your baby has a BM in utero) and that meant extra monitoring and not as much movement as I would have liked but my doula and hospital were amazing and super supportive. 19 hours of labor pretty intense labor and we finally discussed allowing for some pitocin. At this point we were going from our main goal of avoiding medications and interventions to truly avoiding a c-section. Again having our doula be able to coach and advise us every step of the way made such a difference in our confidence.... after such a long labor our LO was getting stressed and our doula and OB saw some pretty scary decels in his heart rate. I remember at one point the OB telling me she was going to have to cut me and I told her NO DONT and pushed one more time and he was born. NO tearing!! (yay) They did warn me that they were going to try very hard to deliver him very carefully so he would be limp and would not be crying. They had the entire NICU team in the room ready for him as they didnt want him to take his first breaths and inhale meconium. It seemed liked forever before I finally got to hear him cry. Apgar started at 3 and quickly went up to 9. He was born at 6:42pm weighing in at 8lb and 13oz ;0)
Yep....it's official. I'm S.C.A.R.E.D.

My baby boy!

December 7th, 2013, 07:16 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Hey I thought my story was the least scary!! LOL what was scary about it? His size? LOL well yeah that would be a bit scary.
mstee511 likes this.
December 7th, 2013, 08:07 AM
colette20's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstee511 View Post
Your story made me cry. I can't imagine my body going through all those changes only to miss out on the one thing it was all for.

It also scared me more. Lol

Sorry! I think if my doctor hadn't been such a b**ch it would have been easier to accept, because I was totally prepared for the possibility of the c- section.

All I can say, is prepare yourself for everything, you never know how your birth will go, make sure you are prepared for every possibility, because it does help. I also knew how my hospital handled c-sections which helped make the moment less scary.

My situation is pretty uncommon as well, a body rejecting an epidural and spinal block (knew this from previous surgery) and having to be put under, really dosnt happen much.

December 7th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzledobe View Post
Hey I thought my story was the least scary!! LOL what was scary about it? His size? LOL well yeah that would be a bit scary.
Meconium??? Lol

My baby boy!

December 7th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Bluesstarz2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is mine from complete memory:

My husband was deployed at the time. He was supposed to be home that day. So i was checking our bank acct because he didn't have a cell phone to call me and tell me where he was. So I saw that he was no longer in Kuwait and he had swiped his card in Germany. I got so overwhelmed and i had morning sickness my entire pregnancy that I ended up needing to puke. So I go in the bathroom and its like 5 in the morning and puke. When i puked, i heard a ripping popping sound. I thought i had pee'd on myself. My mom was there with me, so i proceed to drip through the house to find my mom. I woke her up and said I think i can't stop peeing on myself. She kinda chuckled at me and said it was probably my water. She got up with me and got some towels for me to sit on the couch. I was now in full panic mode because my husband was in germany 8 hours ago and gosh knows where he was now, and now i'm in labor. I really didn't want him to miss it. We had a c-section scheduled for 20th due to her being breech and my heart condition. Today was only the 14th. My sister then showed up and i started having contractions every 5 minutes. My mom wanted me to go in because she wanted to make sure the baby and i was ok but my sister was trying to push me to hold out as long as possible to give my husband the chance to get there. We waited about 2 hours and then i called my doctor. THey proceeded to tell us to come in as soon as possible. There was no turning back now. I was in massive amount of pain on the way to the hospital, which takes about 25 minutes to get there. We get there and they take me back. They checked to make sure it was my water that broke and did an ultrasound to check if the baby had moved. Baby was very breached and stuck. My heart was not in normal rhythm
and i was 8 cm dilated already. It became a true emergency then to get her out for the safety of both us. While they were prepping, i changed my voice mail to let my husband know i was in labor and to call my dad to have him pick him up. My mom went back with me and they were able to get her out within 30 minutes. She had a knot in her cord and her legs were in a frog position because she was so breech, lol. They glued me back together and my husband showed up about an hour after her delivery. He had gotten stuck in the atlanta airport. I was actually able to help move myself to the other bed right after my c-section and i was able to start walking the halls the very next day. I knew walking would help me. And my husband was only gonna get to be home for 2 weeks. So we went to the mall the day i left the hospital and to lunch. The pain was not too bad, i did keep up with the pain medication for the first 2 weeks due to recovery.

You can see her legs here and the way they are bent

And right when he got there and saw his daughter
Earthy.Mama likes this.

December 7th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison79 View Post
How about a video? Nothing graphic These are both home water births. I had three babies induced in the hospital and four at home.

This is a video done by a professional videographer of my 7th
On the day you were born... on Vimeo

This one is a photo slideshow of our 6th
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M1DCMY7...%3DM1DCMY7anzY"
Absolutely beautiful! I'm a blubbery mess over here
Alison79 likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 7th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Dishersgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was went in on monday they sent me home Tuesday stayed home till Sunday morning went in at 7:30 they checked me @ 4cm and wouldnt let me up i hated that. people iin and out. hated that too. It hurt and seeing as i was in pain for what seemed like a week ..... i did end up getting the Epi. around 10 (I should have just let it go) and by noon i was ready to push. 3 hours later and the vacuum my son was born 7lbs 12oz 21 1/4 in long

My DD1,
ws induced cause the doctors were afraid id go during thanksgiving family was being noisy and weird so i set it up for the 19. Went in and did it with no epi on pit for 15+ hours got to walk around take a shower snuck in food (oops) switched posistions. After feeling the urge to just want to push and being at 7 for what seemed like ages asked Epi and i asked for as low a dosage as possible, 4 hours later at nearly midnight (went in @ like 5:30 am) 18+ hours of labor my daughter was born 7lb 8oz. Mu husband caught cut and placed the baby on my belly I loved that part.

DD2
She was complicated and sat her *** in my pelvis and decided she liked to be cradled so much she would stay there (@ 18m old she still loves to be held like a baby and be cradled.) So at 39weeks we set up the C sec went in did the whole I hate this i hate this i hate this mantra cause i absolutely loathed the fact that no one would give me the option to try and turn the baby (till the day i still hate that i cant feel a **** thing along that scar line.) Hubby nearly missed the baby being pulled out. (she was my biggest baby at 8+ lbs but left the hospital as my smallest coming home @ 6lbs 12 oz) had 2 doctors and a slew of nurses the nerves made me sick so i was on Oxygen the entire time. I hated changing the bandages and was still really mad that no one would turn the baby. when they ripped the tape off i could feel where they tied off it sucked walking for the next 2 weeks and i felt like crap for the next 2 months.

This time around i would be perfectly happy with a DD1 scenerio without the Pit and no Epi.

Baby Due July 27
Guinevere 2 years old!
Trinity 3 years
Aric 9 years
Kendall 13 years

Holly 30 Benjamin 40

December 7th, 2013, 04:30 PM
casslou1's Avatar Super Mommy
Baby #1

It was 3 weeks before my EDD, I woke up around 2am with major cramping, I was staying at my moms house and since I wasn't sure that I was in labor yet, I tried to rest until everyone woke up. Around 6am I was walking around and felt a gush and was certain my water had broken. I woke my mom up and told her it was time. The hospital was about an hour away and I was terrified that I would progress too fast and the baby would be born in my moms car. We made it to the hospital by 8 am, they checked to make sure my water had broken for sure and came back immediately positive. Because my doctor believed that my water broke earlier thank I was letting on (not really sure what made him think that and being 20 years old at the time and terrified I didn't push the fact that he was wrong ) he ordered Pitocin and they started that at around 9:30. I was 3 cm dialated and my contractions were 5 minutes apart. Within 45 minutes I was on excruciating pain and my contractions were right on top of each other. The nurses were very excited about their new birthing rooms with tubs and were really pushing me to get into the tub. I tried it and the contractions instantly were worse. Now I was not only in excruciating pain, I was wet and cold. I took myself out of the tub with the nurse nagging me about not pulling out my IV. I immediately told her that if she didn't stop the Pitocin I was pulling it out. While she went to call the dr, I disconnected it (I was a CNA and knew well how it was done)
Dr came to check on me around noon and I was 7cm dialated and 90% effaced. I was asking for an epidural while my mom was telling the Dr that I was fine and didn't need one. About an hour later, I threatened to kick everyone out if they didn't give me what I wanted so an epidural was ordered. The anesthesiologist was in my room by 3pm and I got my epidural and instantly felt better. I was checked around 3:30 and was fully dialated and 100% effaced. The nurse called the doctor and then came in to tell me that he wanted to finish up his afternoon appointments before coming back to the hospital so I was able to rest for an hour before he came in. I pushed for an hour and a half, tore very badly and required many, many stitches but delivered my beautiful 6 pound 8 ounce daughter at 5:29pm.

baby #2

I was very miserable with my son starting at 32 weeks I went onto my check up appointment and the doctor blew me off completely, didn't check me and sent me home. A few days later (now at 33 weeks) I began having contractions so the doctor had me come in. She checked me and had a priceless look on her face when she said I was already 4cm dialated. She ordered terbutaline to stop contractions and strict bedrest. The medication made me feel constant anxiety and I had one panic attack after another. I continued to contract and went into the hospital in the middle of the night a few days later. I was then dialated to 5cm and 70% effaced. The on call doc (a very old man) was horrible and gave me a lecture about how my baby would be born with a range of problems and probably end up dying if I didn't stop freaking out and just relax. I asked to be discharged from the hospital and went home feeling completely helpless. I called my doctor the next day, went in to see her and told her how upset I was. She told me that if I made it to 34 weeks I could stop taking the terbutaline which I did. I was able to keep him in there until I was 35 weeks 3 days pregnant. That morning, I woke up, went to get a drink of water and felt a giant gush of fluid. We went into the hospital at 9am confirmed that my water broke and my doctor didn't want to stop contractions. I labored without pain meds and my son was born at 2:02pm. The NICU team was there to check him out but his apgar was a 6 and then a 9 so he was able to stay with me. He was a small boy at 5 pounds 14 ounces but was completely healthy and was able to home with me the following day.

This pregnancy, I am seeing a doctor who specializes in high risk pregnancies and premature births. I have explained to him that I have had two births that didn't go at all how I would like and he seems very understanding. Plus its been nearly 7 years since my last birth so I am hopeful that this time around will be different.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search